[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the first noise rock song? The earliest that I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: R-371471-1382704196-1668.jpeg.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-371471-1382704196-1668.jpeg.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
What was the first noise rock song?

The earliest that I know of is European Son.
>>
>>60781816
it might be
>>
The noise cavemen did when they banged on a rock
>>
>>60781873
Good post :)
>>
>>60781935
Thank you, I try!
>>
File: orkizWU.jpg (10 KB, 300x316) Image search: [Google]
orkizWU.jpg
10 KB, 300x316
>PSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-CRASH
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>60782002
you are the worst trip on /mu/ please stop posting
>>
File: 1440298035418.png (152 KB, 594x391) Image search: [Google]
1440298035418.png
152 KB, 594x391
>>60782002
>tfw The Unofficial Helper Of /mu/ made a funny post
>>
>>60782002
I know that (the alternate take of) European Son was meant to represent his electric shock therapy.
>>
I was doing some reading on jazz history earlier, and had a bit of a realization about rock music in reference to other forms of music that may explain the weird mostly-dead place it's in ATM

with jazz music, there's an overall progression that goes from new orleans to swing to bebop to free jazz. musicians focused on developing their own unique styles and interpretations of the most modern form of jazz. you didn't have people playing free jazz in the 40s, because nobody was ready for it. there were more important things to be emphasized than experimentation

now, rock music did not develop this way at all. it seems to me that real rock music, as in what we know it to be today, started in 1964 or 1965 with the Yardbirds, electric Dylan, the Byrds, Rolling Stones, etc. But just a year or two after you had people like Zappa, the Velvet Underground, Red Krayola, Pink Floyd etc. performing radical experiments with the sounds, forms, instrumentation, and production of the music.

I mean, from the beginning, rock really had nowhere to go, and most stuff after is just experiments in superficiality, songwriting, or homage. Not that the products aren't great, but it's clear that there really isn't much room for the music to go anywhere and has been backing itself into a corner since the 80s
>>
File: 1435534922932.jpg (86 KB, 640x585) Image search: [Google]
1435534922932.jpg
86 KB, 640x585
>>60781816
>Falling for the meme banana
>>
>>60783953
>Watching anime

Dumb weeaboo
>>
>>60783969
What does your post have to do with music?
>>
>>60783953
>anime
>>>/a/
>>
>>60783378
>it seems to me that real rock music, as in what we know it to be today, started in 1964 or 1965
>who is Chuck Berry?
>>
>>60783953
>watching chinese cartoons
>>
>>60783990
stfu mra kek. dissapointing desu senpai
>>
>>60784029
also
>who is Buddy Holly
answer: the fucking greatest rock star of all time
>>
>>60783378
I thought about this some weeks ago, too.,and came to the same conclusion.
>>
>>60783378
loveless was released in 1991 but i agree. this was the last truly forward thinking 'rock' album.
>>
>>60784093
>>60784512
Is anything really new and forward thinking?
>>
>>60784029
I would say that Chuch Berry's music was an extension of R&B, rather than being the new new medium of "rock music" that I am referring to.

>>60784512
Loveless was, ironically enough, still just a continuation of the experiments in dissonant pop started by the Velvet Underground, in my opinion. It took the experiment to a new height, for sure, but I don't think it found a way to use sound in a new way in the way that bebop or free jazz used jazz instrumentation to alter the perception of sound.

I would say that there are rock bands today, such as Tera Melos or Deerhoof, that are still creating forward thinking 'rock' albums, but there's still a wall that the bands who follow them will eventually hit.
>>
>>60784572
ofcourse
>>
>>60784623
How so?
>>60784606
>I don't think it found a way to use sound in a new way in the way that bebop or free jazz used jazz instrumentation to alter the perception of sound.
Nice goalpost shifting
>>
>>60784572
Yes. Charlie Parker's music was new and forward thinking. Bebop radically challenged the purpose of music. Same thing with modern classical experiments with electronically produced or treated sound. And the same thing with the Velvet Underground's hipster defiance of popular culture through the embrace of decidedly non-popular musical techniques.
>>
>>60784657
>And the same thing with the Velvet Underground's hipster defiance of popular culture through the embrace of decidedly non-popular musical techniques.
But that was already done before by other avant-garde composes
>>
>>60784645
what do you mean goalpost shifting? I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make about Loveless in relation to rock music history.

I'm saying that music is still able to be forward thinking, but that there are limits to rock music that are too well-defined to allow for the genre to create anything revolutionary anymore.
>>
>>60784675
>hipster defiance of popular culture
who? I can't think of any modern composers now or then who even paid the slightest bit of attention to popular culture until minimalists started doing soundtracks
>>
>>60784699
>what do you mean goalpost shifting?
Many rock artists use jazz experimentation. How is it only forward thinking when used in other genres, but not forward thinking when used in rock?
>I'm saying that music is still able to be forward thinking, but that there are limits to rock music
Maybe you just don't know what rock music is.
>>
>>60784726
>through the embrace of decidedly non-popular musical techniques
Please read more carefully.
>>
>>60784606
> truly forward thinking

of course there are some experimental bands today. but loveless was released in 1991 and since then no 'rock' album has been able to be as good and as influential. the 70's and 80's had tons of albums like loveless.
>>
>>60784572
vaporwave
>>
>>60784789
Isn't it based around samples of older music?

That would be the opposite of forward thinking.,
>>
>>60784803
It does forward thinking by putting new ideology into old stuff, changing it's form the same way it changes it's meaning
>>
>>60784749
wait, I was saying that the VU was groundbreaking because they embraced the techniques heralded by modernist composers but in a context where such techniques had never seen the light of day. And your rebuttal was that the composers had done it first?

>>60784732
>How is it only forward thinking when used in other genres
I never said that there was no forward thinking rock, just that there are limits to rock music that are too well-defined to allow for the genre to create anything revolutionary anymore.

>>60784755
I'm not sure about influential but again, a band like Deerhoof has produced a good deal of masterpieces that I would easily compare to Loveless in regards to quality. I'm not talking about quality here.
>>
>>60784859
>embraced the techniques heralded by modernist composers
Then it's not new
>just that there are limits to rock music
Not really. You can do whatever you want with it.
>>60784829
You can do that to all music. Thus it's irrelevant.
>>
>>60784892
How was it not new to incorporate highly modern theories on sound into a social pop context? how was using recording technology to display contempt for your audience not new? you're just asserting things

>You can do whatever you want with it.
I think you need to reread my initial post. I wasn't saying that there are boundaries between rock music and other types of music that you need to be careful of crossing, and I hope you're not stupid enough to think that I was saying that people would be physiologically impeded from doing "whatever" they want with rock music.
>>
File: Rino 3.png (137 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
Rino 3.png
137 KB, 500x380
>Unofficial helper is a VU pleb
Surprising.
>>
>>60785001
>How was it not new to incorporate highly modern theories on sound into a social pop context?
Are the theories new or old?
>I think you need to reread my initial post
The one where you didn't think Chuck Berry was Rock?
>>
>>60785028
have you heard their bootlegs? I think they help explain a lot about the band to people who don't 'get' their LP releases. Check out the Quine Tapes
>>
>>60785053
>Check out the Quine Tapes
It's just rock.
>>
>>60785049
The theories don't make the music.
I would say that Chuch Berry's music was an extension of R&B, rather than being the new new medium of "rock music" that I am referring to. I pretty clearly outlined the kind of rock music I was referring to as being the kind that started around 1964-1965.
>>
>>60785076
I wouldn't call Sister Ray or Run Run Run "just rock" considering what other rock musicians were doing at the time
>>
>>60785082
>The theories don't make the music.
You clearly don't know music theory,.
>I would say that Chuch Berry's music was an extension of R&B,
How so?
>I pretty clearly outlined the kind of rock music I was referring to as being the kind that started around 1964-1965.
Nice cherry picking
>>
>>60785028
I don't know why you think you're in a position to talk shit about anybody's taste when evidently all you listen to is /mu/core and whatever Scaruffi likes.
>>
>>60785113
>considering what other rock musicians were doing at the time
In 1969? Lots of bands were doing 20-minte jams.
>>
File: Rino 4.png (380 KB, 570x564) Image search: [Google]
Rino 4.png
380 KB, 570x564
>>60785136
Where the fuck did you get that? I rarely post anything about my taste.

>>60785053
I actually like them. Just making fun of that clon.
Will check out the bootlegs anyways, thanks.
>>
>>60785273
https://rateyourmusic.com/~cancherito

This is your RYM, right? Took me three seconds to find this in the archive just now. Why bother being a trip if your taste is so shitty and generic? Typical tripfag.
>>
>>60785116
Music theory is different than the theories about sound and music that people like John Cage and Henry Cowell were producing in the 20th century. Confusing, I know.

Because he made R&B music in the 78RPM R&B format and did not work heavily within the medium of music production as a tool of artistic output.
>>
>>60785355
>Because he made R&B music
Define it. and contrast with Rock.
>the medium of music production as a tool of artistic output.
Not a defining characteristic of Rock. Try again.
>Music theory is different than the theories about sound and music that people like John Cage and Henry Cowell were producing in the 20th century. Confusing, I know.
So can these theories only be used once in a genre to be new?
>>
>>60785328
It's pretty unique desu
Actually, it is. It's not like I have Talk Talk, Unwound and Robbie Basho in my 5s.
>>
I-is this what music discussion looks like?
>>
It was the 66' single by The Ethix called Bad Trip/Skins. Even then, Frank Zappa's Freak Out had some Noise Rock tracks that predated TVU&N
>>
>>60785554

It's exactly the same as any other given Scaruffi drone that can't wrap their heads around music that isn't acclaimed indie rock.

What do Talk Talk, Unwound and Robbie Basho have to do with anything? Do you think not having those artists' music in your 5s separates you from everyone else or something? Otherwise, why bring them up?
>>
>>60785678
Jeez, I count like 2 scaruffi core albums in my 5s and I'm not even sure about one.

>why bring them up?
Because those are the shit you find in every RYM thread? I'm saying it again, I'm not a 5-panel hat goth but my taste is actually pretty unique.
>>
>>60785871
Talk Talk are great tho, you don't have to tailor you taste to appear unique on fucking /mu/. Who gives a shit
>>
>>60785871

Notice how I also said /mu/core, which by extension would also include /p4k/core.

>Because those are the shit you find in every RYM thread?

Pretty much everything in your 5s, 4.5s and your 4s is what every dumbass in every RYM thread likes. You're not special, you're actually very delusional.
>>
>>60785871
>https://rateyourmusic.com/~cancherito
You have fucking Loveless as a five so your argument doesn't really work.
>>
>>60785945

This, and Unwound? Robbie Basho? Talk about intentional tailoring when your entire taste is what Scaruffi, /mu/ and Pitchfork likes anyway. What a transparent faggot.
>>
>>60786011
What the fuck are you talking about. My whole point is you can just as easily intentionally dislike things to appear 'alternative' when in reality you like it more than you let on. By intentionally avoiding what critics like, you're just as bad as people who follow them religiously
>>
>>60786001
Not to mention USA, Cocteau Twins, The Idiot, Faust/Soft Machine/Stereolab especially, Deerhunter, and Primal Scream. And that's just his 5s.
>>
>>60786075

I'm agreeing with you, idiot, use your context clues.
>>
>>60786011
Shit, ignore this - >>60786075
Misread, think you're in agreement with me
>>
>>60786109
Use your context clues sounds like something a therapist would say during a session while you look back through your darkest memories
>>
File: images[1].jpg (5 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
5 KB, 261x193
>>60785871
>THIS much misplaced ego
>tripfags
>>
>>60785871
Wth. Any recommendation chart have at least 80% of those albums/ artists lol
>>
File: a best1.gif (484 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
a best1.gif
484 KB, 500x281
>>60785945
I agree they're great my friend. Again, I'm not trying to be unique.

>>60785965
>/mu/core
>p4k-core
I might share like, 4 albums tops with the main essentials chart.
You never know what p4k-core is. Sometimes it is rap sometimes is guite people guitar music how the fuck do you want me to argue with you?

>>60786001
It's a fantastic album.

>>60786011
>Pitchfork
seriously what the fuck is pitchfork core

>>60786075
> By intentionally avoiding what critics like
Well aren't you calling me a drone?

>>60786083
Great bands all of them.

>>60786196
>Reactiongifs.me
>jpg

>>60786198
have to see them assorted in the same way as I do
>>
>>60786278
I'm not calling you a drone, but your logic is flawed in that you say you have unique taste, which you really don't round these parts despite your claim to the contrary. Which is fine, but no need to argue otherwise, it really doesn't matter
>>
>>60786278

What the fuck? Could you contradict yourself any harder? Are you reading everything you're typing here or are you stupider than I thought?

/mu/core, Scarufficore and /p4k/core go beyond the top essentials, and you know this because of how much of a drone you are.
>>
>>60786350
Listening to known music doesn't prevent someone from having unique taste. I like some albums more than others, and other people like some albums more than me. Just saying that by taking conclusions at what my favorite music is, the mix is not only both pretty eclectic and balanced, but it's 100% honest, 100% unique to my identity.

>>60786408
>mu/core, Scarufficore and /p4k/core go beyond the top essentials
>core
>beyond the top essentials
"scaruffi's 6/10 are still scaruffi-core because fuck you fuck me fuck all they are scaruffi core"
>>
>>60781816
Link Wray - Rumble, IMHO
>>
>>60781816
i dont know, maybe these boys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MmSl0xu0ec
>>
>>60786575
If it's 100% your identity then you don't need to justify it in any other way or claim that it's unique and "at least I don't have X album in here like everyone else"
>>
Now Playing:
ıllıllı [Cromagnon - Untitled (1969)] ıllıllı

>>60786637
Black Monk Time is great! And it actually sort of fits when it comes to it being one of the first noise rock tracks (this one wins though >>60785634)
I wish I could like the rest of the album though.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.