[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Mu/sic Reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1448887464159.png (17 KB, 349x321) Image search: [Google]
1448887464159.png
17 KB, 349x321
Hey /mu/ i'm planning on doing music reviews, does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed and how to not become Mr Fantano meme music lord? or is it inevitable
>>
I would be surprised if you could create reviews as entertaining as melon man's
>>
Post top 10 and we'll tell you to fuck off or do it
>>
You mean you dont want to be succesfull in fear of what a bunch of basement dwellers will say of you in 4chan?
>>
The only reason Anthony is popular here is because of all the people who came FROM his channel, not /mu/tants.
>>
>>60733032
1. Go to college/uni/whatever
2. Get degree in Journalism
3. Work for college paper while studying
4. Use that experience to get better jobs writing for websites/magazines

Or drop out and write for a punk 'zine' or whatever the fuck they call them.
>>
>>60733032
First off, no one cares. Secondly, if you actually do reviews instead of memeing, you won't turn into a meme lord. It's pretty simple.
>>
>>60733100
getting a degree in journalism is the worst fucking advice you could give anyone in 2015
>>
>>60733059
i can only try my best
>>60733059
alrighty /Senpai/
1> Mazzy star
2> The cocteau twins
3> Elbow
4>The mars volta
5>Mr bungle
6>Pixies
7>Nick cave and the bad seeds
8>Dead can dance
9>A place to bury strangers
10> The Sundays
>>60733071
a bit of that yes
>>60733078
that's strange i thought they would have gone to reddit
>>60733100
yeah i was considering that but i'm watching my waifu go through that right now and it all looks pointless
>>60733113
fair point
>>
>>60733147
Not terrible
I'll support you senpai
Will you be doing primarily rock reviews?
>>
>>60733182
i never really thought of doing a specific area of music, but if i had to it would be rock and all the in between
>>
>>60733032

here's a list of random rules or whatever
1. Ignore memes, celebrity gossip, and other areas that have more to do with music journalism rather than music criticism, which should focus primarily on the music.
2. Don't just give vague praise/disaprooval. Give concrete reasons for your judgements.
3. Learn music theory and apply your knowledge so that you'll actually be insightful about how the music you're reviewing works.
4. Learn music history, so when you talk about an artist's predecessors, you aren't totally fucking it up. Or so when you praise a new album's originality, you aren't being totally wrong because the music may actually derivative as hell.
5. Don't turn a review into a crappy creative writing piece. No one cares that an album reminds you of a bad breakup or something.
6. If you're doing written reviews, try to read more so you can pick up what makes good writing good.
7. If you're doing video reviews, don't try to put on an annoying persona or anything (you shouldn't be putting on a persona in your written reviews either). Be presentable, but don't over do it because it will feel phony.
>>
>>60733147
Embarrassing to be honest. Please don't do music reviews if you can't even get the band names correct.
>>
>>60733323
>Don't turn a review into a crappy creative writing piece

TMT does this, and half the time it's drivel but the other half of the time, something really groundbreaking comes out
>>
>>60733368
:^) ya caught me it's 4am and i should be asleep, sorry about that lad
>>60733323
Thankyou for that

well i'm off to bed, i should have been hours ago but the indians next door were being loud ect. night
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.