[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I not getting with this album? There are some fantastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: unknownpleasures.jpg (116 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
unknownpleasures.jpg
116 KB, 600x600
What am I not getting with this album? There are some fantastic grooves and memorable songs, especially on the A side, but the singer is pretty shit (and not in an endearing way) and the quality memorability of the songs drops like a fucking rock on the B side.

Am I the only one alone here? This is a 7/10 album at best. Why do people say this is a perfect record?
>>
>>60721582
quality and memorability*

Fuck
>>
>>60721582
>Why do people say this is a perfect record?

I felt the same but I changed my mind after watching a documentary about them, give it a chance m8

still, it's far from a 10/10
>>
>>60721582
It's not a perfect record
One of the best things about it is how obvious Curtis' flaws are
How alienated he feels from humanity, but how, in the middle of all this disassociation and misanthopy, he couldn't be more human himself

Also the production and basically every musical decision on the album are spot on
>>
this is my favorite album of all time and i have no idea how to explain it to you
>>
muh feels

basically gets praised the same reason Pinkerton does, yet has no redeeming MUSICAL qualities
>>
>>60721704
On that note, Closer sounds like he's lost all semblance of humanity
Like he was already dead when he wrote them
>>
>>60721752
Dumb comparison
Pinkerton sounds great, but the actual lyrical content on that record isn't worth much of a damn
>>
it can't really be quantified. try reading the lyrics. joy division had a really beautiful, poetic, imperfect approach to songwriting. unknown pleasures and closer are just so fucking dark and able to be connected to.
it's somewhat a matter of context too.
>>
>>60721582
NEW DAWN FADES THO
>>
try to increase your depression and then listen again
>>
File: fac_10_lg.jpg (302 KB, 1500x1131) Image search: [Google]
fac_10_lg.jpg
302 KB, 1500x1131
>>60721582
Well that's not the cover first of all
>>
I don't think this album has aged well. You have to think about it's elease in '79. The Pistols and The Clash had just turned the British music scene on it's head and then this geeky bunch of lads from Manchester put out this incredible atmospheric dark album the likes of which no one then had heard before on an obscure label called factory records. It fucked everybody up and ushered in a whole new era of music.
>>
>>60721582
I'm with you OP, I've never been able to get into that album.
>>
>>60721582

a side? b side? what does that mean? on spotify there's 10 songs where do i find the rest that you have?
>>
>>60722699
Vinyls have two sides, A side and B side, and each side contains one half of the album.
>>
>>60722751

thanks. i thought he had more songs.
>>
>>60722751
well, i think i'm retarded haha
>>
>>60722699
He means the first and second half of the album.
>>
>>60721625
What's the name?
>>
File: Power, Corruption & Lies.jpg (149 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Power, Corruption & Lies.jpg
149 KB, 600x600
To be honest, I'd say I prefer Power, Corruption and Lies by New Order to Joy Division.
>>
>>60721582
because unknown pleasures is better.
>>
>>60722751
>vinyls
>>
>>60722862
shut up fag i bet you don't even know joy division and new order's entire discography
>>
>>60724084
wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>60724084
Jesus Christ, I meant to say Unknown Pleasures, I wasn't making a statement about the entire discography.
Chill the fuck out.
>>
>>60724127
>>60724419
>falling for b8
>>
>>60721582
I agree almost completely
>>
The production creates a really evocative, expressionistic atmosphere for these all-despairing, ultra-personal lyrics.

The album's biggest flaw, in my opinion, is that "Disorder", while an amazing song, totally sets you up for a completely different kind of album than everything that follows.
>>
On a serious note, are the squiggle lines actually supposed to represent something?

What if so?
>>
>>60724713
it's something to do with the radio waves of a supernova or something like that.
>>
Everyone has different tastes, there are a ton of critically beloved albums that I just don't like. I don't have to rub it in people's face and act like I'm somehow smarter or figured out something that they didn't. It's a pretty obvious phenomenon when you talk to anyone about music ever, that they all have different tastes even about well liked stuff.

Also, this album is a bit of a visual meme, I can see preppy hipster kids wearing the design on like a sweatshirt or something around my town all the time.
>>
so tired of seeing this thread just fuck off
>>
>>60725063
I'm not desu
>>
>>60722804

Read the fucking filename. It's also mentioned multiple times in the thread.
>>
File: u wot.jpg (42 KB, 341x331) Image search: [Google]
u wot.jpg
42 KB, 341x331
>>60722699
>>60722751
>>60722764
>>60722770
>>60722768
mfw people falling for bait
>>
it's perfect for a certain mood.
>tfw lethargically dancing alone in your candle light room at 3 am in the midst of tripping out on dramamine while your dog whimpers, fearful for you life, pitifully underneath your bed.
> Deathlessly staring as the shadows dance.
>whispering...I've got the spirit ian. Take my hand.
>tfw when he does
>>
>>60726441
10/10
>>
>>60724713
It was a diagram one of the band members found in a textbook somewhere and asked the designer to incorporate it into the album cover.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.