[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic youth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (869 KB, 1280x919) Image search: [Google]
image.png
869 KB, 1280x919
What is sonic youth's best album and why?
>>
murray street. just becuz
>>
EVOL, it's dark and sexy and dripping in technicolor psychelic guitar noise
>>
>>60721386
>sexy
I always thought this too.
>>
>>60721386
*psychedelic
>>
>>60721399
Sensual too, kiss me in the shadow of a doubt and all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBQnS8OGII
>>
>>60721425
That song is amazing
>>
I only know the song super star. Pretty good song
>>
>>60721726
That's a Carpenters cover. I prefer the original.
>>
>>60721386
This sums it all up. Sister has really shitty production compared to EVOL, it's kind of sad.

I would love to hear Beauty Lies In The Eye under the same reverb and effects of EVOL.
>>
>>60721287
Daydream Nation
They were much more mature writers by this point and were able to take all the interesting ideas from before and make a much more traditional album. The overall feel of the album is amazing and quite hard to explain. The lyrics are also really out there and the concepts for the songs are worth looking into too. I just feel like Im going into this little noise cocoon at some points too, such a good album, one of my all time faves
>>
File: 71NelC06s5L._SL1239_[1].jpg (199 KB, 1239x1228) Image search: [Google]
71NelC06s5L._SL1239_[1].jpg
199 KB, 1239x1228
this desu
>>
>>60721287

Washing Machine senpai
>>
Daydream Nation because it has the best songwriting
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 1500x1500
>>60721287
Bad Moon Rising

It's the only one that isn't literally pressed fecal matter. Also every single track on it is incredible, and the dark twist on Americana themes is probably the greatest literary work to come from Sonic Youth. It's essentially the pinnacle of their counter-culture aesthetic, from both a musical and literary perspective.

Washer is also decent.
>>
>>60721386
This. There's something really atmospheric about it while it still manages to be full of the pop elements that were absent on Bad Moon Rising and present on everything after.

Sister's a close second. Really frantic and dissonant but more conventional than Daydream Nation which I can find just jarring at times if I'm not in the mood for it.

>>60723835
>not liking how warm and claustrophobic Sister sounds

>>60724554
wew lad
>>
I find I put Rather Ripped on more often than any others. By that metric, I guess I think it's the best?
>>
>>60724893
It's really underrated. Pop done well.
>>
>>60724893
Idk I only watch Cowboy Bebop every once in a while because I don't want to get tired of it but it's by far my favorite anime. I watch X Files all the time even though it's a shitty show
>>
>>60724996
point taken, but i'm not sure the analogy holds for me. in time i think RR will keep moving up people's lists.

the way this fucker builds into pure beauty...
https://youtu.be/vU93I5UU8-c
>>
>>60725113
I personally like their more dark/noisey/distorted aesthetic on Bad Moon Rising and Washer, but damn listening to this made me remember I love Sonic Youth
>>
>>60724655
>>60725346
>Washer
shitter
>>
>>60724749
Sister is easily my least favourite of all their 80s albums
>>
>>60725452
Sh
>>
>>60724893
im with you on that one
>>
Christgau kinda turned me on to Thousand Leaves. It's got this mellow "travelling" vibe to it. It kinda of crests and disperses like a good trip. Sounded great while candy flipping.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.