[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any "real" music producers on this board. Making shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: fostex80.jpg (225 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fostex80.jpg
225 KB, 1024x768
Any "real" music producers on this board. Making shit sound good on computers is so easy if you aren't a complete fucking dipshit. Making shit sound good on these things is fucking impossible. Lets talk about it. Any tips or nah>
>>
all of the plebs in the soundcloud threads think they know how to produce. if u using that yr gonna need some compressors. Dbx rackmount compressors are legit.
>>
File: steve-albini-006_1.jpg (29 KB, 420x472) Image search: [Google]
steve-albini-006_1.jpg
29 KB, 420x472
>>60716509
Sup Steve
>>
>>60716616
no disrespect to people that work on computers. I like it because of the fact that it allows anyone to be good at producing, which is cool. It allows for any one to put out high quality content without the need for a studio. All i'm saying is that there is a very specific art/method that goes into analog record that is admirable. If it wasn't than I don't think people would still be using tape. Also i just wanna know cause I use this stuff and want 2 talk to people that do
>>
See heres the thing, 95% of consumers do not care about the process of creating a musical work of art
For the majority, the beauty lies in the finished result. Individuals like you find beauty in tje process of creation. Thats completely fine, but simply its such a niche market because no one really cares if you spend thousands more for an arguably uneeded process that is analog. You most likely wont find many on here with a love for the art of analog.
>>
>Making shit sound good on computers is so easy if you aren't a complete fucking dipshit

Kill yourself.
>>
>>60716891
it is! Just cause you can make it sound good doesn't mean you are a good songwriter. This is literally the reason why people use computers over tape machines now, is because they are easier and more convenient to maneuver. Are you disagreeing with this? like if you are not a fucking dumbass and sit down and learn protools/ableton for a month or 2 you will be v good at it.
>>
>>60716860
I never said anything about the consumer, thats why the thread is addressed to the producer. No analog friends anymore. Also I'm not suggesting that analog is > digital, although I do believe that to be true.
>>
>>60716981
You're confused. Learning a DAW ≠ "Making shit sound good"
>>
>>60716981
Nah, I'd argue it's much more difficult to get organic sounds on a computer than it is in another recording medium
Perhaps I'm biased by my lack of experience with tapes, but what I find is that the two mediums have significantly different advantages and disadvantages, and that one is not necessarily easier/harder than the other
>>
>>60716981
No youre quite literally retarded. Take the superiority glasses off your eyes and realize sound design and melodic content are completely different fields. You can have the most wonderful crisp synth made, but if you dont have songwriting skills itll still sound like shit. The reason your art is fucking dead is because humans innovate, there is literally no reason for anyone to continue analog production or recording unless they have a superiority complex and feel a need to rank themselves above everyone else, such as yourself OP. Of course people will choose the cheaper, more convenient option since it allows for more versitality. Thats what humans have been doing forever. If you find beauty in the old ways, then fine thats cool, but youre a pretentious faggot if you think based solely off this elevates your status as a musician.
>>
>>60717031
thats where "not being a total fucking dipshit" comes into play. If you are not a "total fucking dipshit" you know how to effectively select processors, compressors, tones, etc... Part of learning a DAW is learning the tools within the DAW that will compliment yr songwriting.
>>
You need good compressors. That's how they do it. No magic tricks or anything.
>>
It's really not that hard to make stuff sound good on a multi-track recorder you just have to use simple techniques to make your life easier like punching in and out, dubbing, bouncing tracks down, etc

Now use a computer and a multitrack recorder at the same time and you have some juicy juice going on

computer + hardware + anything you can find master race
>>
Fuck off Grohl
>>
retarded thread desu

a daw is simply emulation of all the hardware you would have in a studio

it doesn't supply you with skill or creativity
>>
>>60717128
i literally just said nice equipment will still sound like shit if you don't have songwriting skills. Also I don't think i'm superior. I use computers and analog gear all of the time.
>>
OP here. Just want 2 clarify that I do not think easier to produce = better content. It just simply means that it easier to make a song "sound" better using a computer. In no way do I think this means that the actual song its self is better.
>>
>>60716509
Fuck off, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a track recorded onto a computer then dubbed to tape and a track done live onto tape.
>>
>>60717136
You're saying that as if only retards aren't able to achieve a clean superb mix through software. It takes years and years of practice to get a professional sound out of software if you're serious about it.
>>
>>60716860
it has a substantial effect on the the end result
>>
>>60717290
this is a dumb comment.
>>
>>60717290
lol
>>
this is recorded straight to 1/4" 2-track emtec tape
the type of recording media makes no difference, your musicians and mixing skills are the only thing that matters

clyp.it/fl5xrckk
>>
analog fags just hate digital because they have no talent and need to feel superior by being tech nerds. Granted it's easier to make product on digital but it neither format has any difference in talent, creativity and musicianship.
>>
>>60717286
I think software being easily available actually makes it a lot easier for dinguses to make bad sounding music desu

do you realize how many clowns are out there that just pirate sample packs and arrange loops and don't even bother learning anything
>>
>>60717382
good talk bro
>>
>>60717407
I do, thats why I referred to those people earlier as "total fucking dipshits."
>>
>>60717407
this is literally all of /mu/

/mu/ thinks sample based music is good because of the person who arranged it
>>
>>60717302
pretty easy 2 get a clean mix in software my guy. I'm sorry to say it. Been there. Done it.
>>
>>60717598
alot of people think their mix is clean but its not. unless your making shitty electronic sample music thats already been professionally mixed and mastered and/or comes stock with 5 plugins to mix it for you

having a good sound and a good ear for sound is infinately times more rare than a good musician. thats why good sound engineers are so sought after
>>
>>60717598
Sorry, but you didn't.
>>
>>60717598
I did!
>>
a good mix can really set your music appart. take a look at tame impala for example. melodically their music is kind of whatever. not bad not good, but their engineer is one of the best in the world and it gave their sound this unqueness that cannot be replicated without a real talent

can you imagine if lonerism was mixed by some of the people in this thread that say they got good mixes. none of us would even know the name tame impala

good mixing is crutial and hard as fuck and expensive as fuck. only sample arrangers will disagree
>>
i disagree. A lot of musicians are self producing now because of computers, and it sounds great! I recorded guitars drums and vokillz. they sound pretty gewd
>>60717766
>>
>>60716509
LOL hardware nerds are truly some sad folks
you're like those guys who use obscure linux derivatives and act like they're the shit because they make stuff hard on purpose
>>
>>60717973
I hate Linux nerds sometimes its kind of like a cult how they act
>>
>>60717921
i agree with all of this.
>>
>>60716509
This is why recording onto tape at an amateur level is not worth it. I think a well produced analog recording sounds better than digital, however if you don't have awesome gear, digital is the way to go.
>>
File: ducktails.jpg (52 KB, 443x447) Image search: [Google]
ducktails.jpg
52 KB, 443x447
>>60718029
>not worth it
Ducktails says otherwise. Amateur tape recording is beautiful.
>>
I want to eventually buy some analog recording gear at some point because I think analog recording is cool. If only good used gear wasn't so expensive.
>>60718029
IMO it's kinda the opposite way, shitty digital recordings sound worse than shitty analog recordings.
>>
>>60716860
this can be said about so many things
>>
>tfw audiophile faggots don't realize that software production is the same as hardware, just as emulations. add to that cheapness, versatility and variety and you have something superior.
>>
>>60718631
wrong in so many ways and now I am leaving this thread.
>>
>>60718780
ayyy lmao
>>
>>60717382
>>60718631
Both of these are true t b h. Look at legowelt the dude owns tens of thousands of dollars in vintage gear, but he's made some of his best shit with an amiga and pro1.
>>
go back to Steve Hoffman forums you autists
>>
I've been in abeton for about a year, and have some gear I use with an audio interface. But if I wanted to be a "REAL" producer where should I start?
>>
where can I find an old mixing board?
>>
>>60719785
what do you want to do with it?
>>
>>60719785
craigslist
>>
If any of you guys want to get into proper industry recording, start with an internship at a studio. Befriend an engineer and ask tons of questions. Save a bunch of money and buy equipment that you and the engineer consider to be essential. Then actually read manuals and practice several hours a day. Buying a reel to reel is extremely expensive and impractical and that slow-down speed-up sound that mac Demarco and other "indie/low-fi" artists use can be done digitally. I'll posts pics of the mixer here if you want and can answer questions
>>
>>60720205
>I'll posts pics of the mixer
what mixer?
>>
Used to have a Fostex R8 and a Seck 18-8-2 when I had the space to set that kinda stuff up - that and a rack and a couple of synths on stands took up half of a fairly large room but at the time (late 90s) I loved having it all available at the one time to use.

The only thing I miss now about it all is the space - I was using a computer then anyway (Atari ST for MIDI synced to the R8) so losing the big tape machine and the mixer and consolidating all of the production into the PC was great for a smaller space, but I wish I could have some more keyboards set up permanently.

If anything digital audio suits me better since I'm not having to pre-compensate for what tape will do to my incoming signals - what I hear on the input channel strip is what will be played back.
>>
>>60716509
>hurr using old technology takes more effort to accomplish the same thing so it's a truer representation of the art form

by that logic you should be clanging tiny bits of metal together because a piano makes it too easy to hit notes in quick succession
>>
>>60717598
link your shit then fuccboi
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.