[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what do you think of this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (906 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
906 KB, 1200x1200
Now that the dust has settled, what do you think of this?
>>
>>60713681
what the fuck is that
>>
6/10 has interesting ideas, but none feel fleshed out
>>
>>60713732
Arca - Mutant
>>
>>60713760
ill check it out
>>
Isn't it weird that Arca ang Yung Gud released tracks with the same sample (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkMSmLc6mM) almost simultaneously eventhough the sample is like five years old? Arca ins Siren Interlude and Yung Gud on Lean's Hoover
>>
>>60713681
it's ok, got pretty boring after the first 3 tracks

young thug got AOTY in April though
>>
just put this album on

what the fuck am i listening to. This is as weird as the thing on the album cover
>>
Its great, at least better than xen. Its structured but the songs progress a lot, especially the title track.
>>
>>60713681
I don't know why the album cover makes me want to cry. It makes me really sad for some reason
>>
>>60714503
Could they have picked an eerier fucking siren for a tornado warning? Jesus..
>>
File: Screenshot (14).png (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (14).png
275 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>60713681
I dont even know, i mean, for some odd reason i really love it
>>
I love &&&&&& but wasn't huge on Xen, i'm gonna check this out though
>>
>>60714537
>got pretty boring after the first 3 tracks
that usually happens when the albums too good from my experience
>>
Mutant and Vanity are top notch

the whole album is pretty good mane
>>
>>60714739
>normies

Holy shit it's not that weird.
>>
I didn't care for it as a whole but I want to know if the harpsichord/dulcimer sounding instrument on Sever and Gratitud is just some insane synthesis by Arca or if I can get something that sounds that good as that as a physical instrument.
>>
>>60713758
ty Fantano, now leave
>>
>>60714503
It is the same sample,but just as Windows 95 sample who uses everyone on soundcloud. Samples doesn't belong to anyone, well almost never...
>>
>>60716602
how can I get into that kind of music?
I know I'm a noob
>>
9/10 for me, one of the best from 2015

&&&&& > Mutant > Xen

Highlights:
Mutant
Snakes
Gratitud
Extent
>>
File: disgusting queer arca.jpg (70 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
disgusting queer arca.jpg
70 KB, 650x400
There's no way I can tell myself it's fine to listen to that decadent satanistic dogshit of a fag
>>
5/10, just an OPN biter
>>
>>60713681
awesome sound design on this but i like his beat-based stuff a lot more. imo &&&&& was his pinnacle

i want Stretch 3 so bad
>>
meandering, unfocused and worst-of-all, beginning to conform to norms.
5/10
>>
dunno aint listened to it yet

lel
>>
>>60713681
I think it's good. Goes into the background in the middle but the first few tracks, especially Alive and Mutant are killer.
>>
>>60714882
Yeah I definitely prefer it so far to xen, has less meandering synth tracks which get boring pretty quick
>>
>>60717274
well its IDM so just listen to the most popular albums and then delve further
>>
>>60717995
This,if Im being real
Emphasis on unfocused.I was really disappointed because stretch 2 is one of my favourite albums,it was so innovative.
>>
>>60718627
if Mutant is IDM, then IDM is a broad term

i thought IDM mostly applies to afx, autechre and the likes

Mutant sounds like nothing else, lots of it is just acousmatic

it's an elusive record, at least genre-wise
>>
>>60716824
sounds like some sort of additive synthesis to me
>>
does anyone have an alternate cover for this shit? the original FKA twigs cover already weirded me out, now this one is legitimately disturbing for reasons that I can't describe. i fucking hate it
>>
>>60718909
some of it does sound like a less beat-oriented autechre tho. i mean, he def does his own thing but they are certainly close in relation.
>>
File: mutantinsert2.jpg-large.jpg (135 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
mutantinsert2.jpg-large.jpg
135 KB, 1024x1024
>>60719128
>>
>>60719178

almost as bad
>>
>>60719128
here you have all alternative covers:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-RhQooMDBf/
and
https://www.instagram.com/p/-RhTJtMDBn/
>>
>>60719261
i like the orange and red one
>>
>>60717896
Except OPNs new album pales in comparison to Mutant lol.
>>
>>60719317
G.o.D. is 9-9.5/10
Mutant is a 5-6/10 overall
>>
>>60720168
>5-6/10
disagree, it's better than this
OPN is pretty 9 btw
>>
>>60720235
The first half of the title track is god-tier, and Sinner, Anger, Sever, and Gratitud are all great as well, but otherwise I just don't care for it desu.
Also it doesn't help that meme melon man was spot on in saying that it didn't really develop into any new ideas that weren't already explored in the first half.
>>
>>60720168
>>60720235
>>60720341
is that how it looks like when morons discuss their feelings towards music
>>
also lets not forget

the dust hasn't settled just because all reviews are out

the dust never settles

you must know this
>>
>>60720433
thanks man, i'll make sure to shitpost more next time
>>
>>60719163
They have nothing that sounds like this
>>
>>60720558
not that anon but

eutow

kind of

except the 4/4 beat
>>
>>60713681
Arca's a one trick pony who's one trick lost steam after &&&&&.
>>
>>60720624
Eutow is just one song and it's pretty obviously just subtractive synthesis
Honestly they don't sound similar at all even though they're both experimental electronic shit, their methods are just too different and their compositional styles differ completely
>>
these all sound more like arca than ae do tbqh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFeghzr0UM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7Np1f-q-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-gBukgIHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWqwgMrF68
>>
>>60720776
>this video is not available
what the fuck are you posting man

>>60720749
of course. i understand that.
>>
>>60720815
cont.

i said eutow (kind of) because i reckoned the anon that claimed the similarities with autechre perhaps had that particular song in mind

mutant is also great because some of it sounds like samba or something (the beginning of anger) and some of it sounds like fucking military exercise or some musique concrete shit
>>
>>60720815
>>60720964
shit, skim read your first post and thought you were that other anon so I made a point of trying to explain stuff
also desu I really wish he expanded on anger, both the samba part and the abrasive synthy bit after it. it would've made a pretty great song if he spent the time to develop it. never really felt anything of the album was militaristic though, to me it has more of an atmosphere of total annihilation than anything, like a nuke being dropped or something.
>>
>>60720558
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhK4E3DUYyg

also,
IV VV IV VV VIII
Steels
Tapr
Fol4
Squeller

But yeah, usually they're much more beat centric than Arca is.
>>
faggot is amazing
>>
>>60717210
>Samples doesn't belong to anyone, well almost never...

They always belong to the original artist. That's why most people who try to make a career out of sample based music usually end up with bad problems with lawyers and copyright infringements.
>>
>>60717609
who gives a fuck dude? lrn2separate artist from art.

burzum is one of my favorite artists but i'm not a neo nazi
>>
First track completely rips off the aesthetic of D/P/I. Of course it's more fleshed out, but if you just listen to MN.ROY it's pretty clear where the inspiration came from
>>
literally gay autechre
>>
A lot of cool ideas, but none of them coalesce into particularly affecting tracks. If I'm in the mood for something like this I'd much rather look to OPN or Autechre
>>
>>60713681
its shit sounds like meth. he needs to start making actual songs now, we get it, you make weird noises just like the first 2 times. make some songs now idiot.
>>
>>60714503
lol whats the point of those retarded sirens? that would only make it worse imo. oohhh shiitt tornados here now! oh fuck this ominous horror movie death siren is still playing too! ooohhh fuucckkk im gonna diiieeeeee with this horrible noise playing in my ears !!!!
>>
a better direction than making wonky hip hop beats for the rest of his life like kanye fanboys want him to
>>
>>60723096
It's weird, I have the same issue with OPN and Arca but for opposite reasons. Like you said, Arca just tends to just be pure sound design that sticks to the surface level; stewing in their own atmosphere for far too long. Whereas OPN doesn't let the tracks fully develop either, but it's because he skips from motif to motif, ending them abruptly before they can fully emerge.
>>
>>60717609

go back to /pol/
>>
>>60723067
pretty sure autehcre have fucked tbqh
>>
>>60723240
I can see people having this problem after just one listen. But I'm a die hard OPN fan so I listen to the albums over and over, and as you become more familiar with it the motifs become much more enjoyable and the way they work together to create a whole becomes more apparent. Also I feel like this problem was mostly just apparent on R+7. On pre Replica stuff it's mostly pretty standard prog electronica, and on GOD he tends to stick to one or two ideas for the duration of the song apart from Mutant Standard
>>
>>60723126
i don't get why he should have to take up conventional song structures though, as there's nothing wrong with exploring pure sonics and soundscapes without having those confines, which are often limiting and arbitrary. i find the sounds engaging enough.

>>60723354
also this
>>
>>60722947
>not being a neo-nazi

lmfao get out of here gramps
>>
>>60723631
practicing posting in threads outside of /nbbmn/ i see
>>
>>60713758
youre too fleshed out you dumb
>>
>>60715404
>Genius
>0.5/5
K
>>
>>60717896
>OPN comparison
>not the number one indicator that they haven't even heard the album
the two explore way different themes in their music and aren't that similar in sound too
>>
>>60723043
the fuck are you talking about
fucking annoying hipster faggot
no one cares about your bandcamp project
>>
>>60723043
>>60725876
if it came from anywhere it definitely came from lorenzo senni
>>
>>60714739
>never listened to anything besides the radio
>>
File: coolio.jpg (65 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
coolio.jpg
65 KB, 640x634
>>60713681
fuck that nigga, coolio
>>
File: 638.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3032) Image search: [Google]
638.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3032
Why is Jesse Kanda's art so fuckable?
>>
>>60727642
soft, curvy lines connote femininity
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.