[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's with the resurging popularity of cassettes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: CassetteTypes1.jpg (2 MB, 2440x1452) Image search: [Google]
CassetteTypes1.jpg
2 MB, 2440x1452
What's with the resurging popularity of cassettes?
>>
faggot hispters and their indie cred
>>
cheap

nice physical object

/thread
>>
Analog is more fun.
>>
Cheaper than CD's

Fun to collect

Can be just as nice to look at on display as vinyls

Certain genres sound better on tapes
>>
>>60703779

some people find the idea of degradable formats in a digital world interesting or something

like it being "real" makes it better or something
>>
>>60703779
Because vinyl is not hipster enough for most people anymore. I have noticed a large amount of normies bragging about their Beatles and Led Zeppelin vinyl to me lately.
>>
File: Cassette-Adapter.jpg (16 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Cassette-Adapter.jpg
16 KB, 360x360
>>60703779
still have cassette deck in car and don't want to listen to radio and adapter broke.

suddenly into cassettes
>>
My car's CD player skips alot, and sometimes I want to listen to the shitty mixtapes I used to make in elementary school. However, most of the time, I just pop in a cassette adapter for my phone and listen on there.
>>
>>60703838
>Certain genres sound better on tapes

Not true btw.
>>
Indie cred. Vinyl is no longer legit since normies are collecting it.
>>
>>60703789

this tbqh family
>>
I just buy them if the release doesn't exist on other formats, really common with obscure bands.
>>
File: IMG_0312.jpg (751 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0312.jpg
751 KB, 1600x1200
I do it if it fits the aesthetic of the music, or if something's not released on any other format.
I'd give examples of music that fits the cassette aesthetic, but since most the people in here are ignorant faggots, I won't bother unless someone is genuinely interested.
>>
>resurging

Lolno.Cassettes are dead normie trash now.

CDs are back in style
>>
>>60703838
>Certain genres sound better on tapes

Nope, tape is a subtractive medium, you lose data.

You're retarded.

>this painting looks better when i cut 2 inches off of the sides of it :p
>>
>>60704010
>muh aesthetics

Nice meme buddy.

How about just admitting that you do it for hipster cred, since everybody knows it anyway.
>>
>>60704010
>I do it if it fits the aesthetic of the music
t. hipster faggot
>>
>>60703779
cds are lame and vinyl are expensive especially if you're paying for postage fees. cassettes feel really neat to have and they're inexpensive.
there's certainly a bit element of exclusivity/sentimentality but i mean, don't lie to yourself, we're all into that.
>>
>>60704091
>cds are lame

How that Lana DelRey cassette sound fag?
>>
>>60703964
Pretty much, since I'm a normie.
>>
>>60704107
Just like her music, shit.
>>
>>60704039
>>60704049
If I wanted hipster cred, why the fuck would I be posting anonymously on 4chan. People who do anything for attention are pretentious faggots, and I generally avoid them in real life. But don't group with them, faggots.
The album I posted uses old samples and warm synths to create its sound, and adding another layer of physical deterioration only enhances the sound in my opinion.
Other music that can benefit from being on cassette is basically anything with a focus on nostalgia.

You're just baiting, but I'm bored, so whatever.
>>
>>60703779
I don't collect any, but they seem pretty fun to collect and they're small and look cool.
>>
>>60703779
Guardians of the Galaxy.

Physical mediums do have an appeal. I enjoyed the small trend of albums being released on usb sticks.
>>
File: Deefu.jpg (23 KB, 480x276) Image search: [Google]
Deefu.jpg
23 KB, 480x276
>>60703795
People really need to stop /threading themselves.
Still, you are essentially correct.
>>
>>60704010
You should care less about the aesthetics of your music and more about the aesthetics of your rug
>>
>>60703789
Like the people on /mu/?
>>
>>60706875
BTFO
>>
it's trendy and it's easier for adolescents to buy a shitty boombox from goodwill than to set up a turntable
>>
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 240x196
>>60703789
This. I grew up on cassettes and I will never ever going back to them. It's like suddenly people stopped using current computers and started downgrading them with Win 3.1 or some similar shit. Trendy subculture faggots REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
They're the best format for recording. You can actually do some fun spontaneous shit on tape instead of phoning it in on fucking fruity loops.
>>
>>60703779

Mainstream interest in vinyl makes collecting records anathema to hipsters.

Cassettes are, and always were, an absolutely shit way to collect and archive music. That ought to keep any but the most gullible "Normies" away from them and ensure dome hipster longevity.
>>
>>60706875
OOOOOH
>>
>>60703779
>tfw sibling would not let me touch her cd collection
>tfw would record onto tape when she was at work
>tfw when my whole music collection was pirated from my sister or the library
God this was like almost 20years ago. FUCK
>>
>>60707359
Still happens, I make mix tapes for friends in exchange for cigarettes or weed.
The power of the cassette deck is underestimated.
>>
>>60707262
The best format is digital you shitlord
>>
>>60707386
I would shill some bud out for a mixtape
>>
>>60707389
Digital is useful, but only complete hacks think there's a competition between digital and physical media.

There's more to music than sampling drums and adding reverb
>>
>resurging
They never went away, anon.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.