[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where's my guitar? Where's my gutaaaaaarrr!!?? ht
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Wheres my guitar.jpg (92 KB, 700x470) Image search: [Google]
Wheres my guitar.jpg
92 KB, 700x470
Where's my guitar? Where's my gutaaaaaarrr!!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RSC7HO9aU

Seriously though, I used to play the guitar since age 11, I'm 27 now and about 4 years ago I just stopped that shit like it was giving me cancer. I've been thinking about going back but can't seem to find a good excuse, can anyone help?
>>
>>60703756
try to get back into it and if you have fun keep going
>>
>>60703824
I've tried man, but I just dn't have the passion I had back then, I mean I had a fucking incredible teacher, got me into everything from classical gas to the beatles to pink floyd to sabbath, later on I played jams in local bars and no drug could compared to it, but now I just get stressed out when my fingers hurt or I can't make a simple fucking transition.
>>
Stop being a manchildren.
>>
>>60703902
You could try playing stuff outside the rock genre. Idk man, I feel sad for you, wish I could be more helpful
>>
>>60704099
I've tried some classical spanish stuff, and some classical classical stuff (through Yngwie Malmstien, who could make Rachmaninov sound like rock) and that didn't bring me back into the fold. Don't feel sad though, any positive response is help enough, thanks.
>>
>>60704195

dig deeper holy shit

youve no idea what you can do with a guitar
>>
>>60704207
Please elaborate
>>
>>60704219
play more jazz. Play some more ballad type shit. Play more funk. Play more blues / country.

Lots of fun, simple things (country, blues) that end up sounding really nice

and lots of intricate things with depth (jazz) that you haven't tried from these posts.
>>
>>60703902
>got me into everything from classical gas to the beatles to pink floyd to sabbath
>not Boris, Sunn O))), Swans, William Ryan Fritch, MONO

Dude, just forget all that, and play whatever you want. Even playing a bass guitar turned up super loud with distortion might be extremely fun, especially if you don't care, or want to care, about technical bullshit and just play loud.
>>
>>60704299
I've tried country (inc. DADGAD tuning stuff) and I've tried some blues, electric (red house) and acoustic (Son House) but jazz is something I haven't tried. Any recommendations?
>>
>>60704219

find inspiration in other music
>>
>>60704363
I've never bought into technical brilliance; I used to play the fucking Metalocalypse Theme w/ full distortion and that Dweezil Zappa pedal or the Roobarb and Custard theme for laughs. People used to harp on about how Petrucci was fucking untouchable, and while he is technically brilliant, he lacks the passion of Hendrix or even Steve Vai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGiv6FH3yU
I'll look into your mentions dude.
>>
>>60704371

Jazz will make you miserable than before.

Just play microtonal guitar.
>>
>>60704513
I dunno man, I watched The Spiols Before Dying and it seemed like a reasonable genre of music to follow; you can't argue with pasty, fat, British sixth sense kid.
>>
File: 1445314270984.png (2 MB, 898x2102) Image search: [Google]
1445314270984.png
2 MB, 898x2102
>>60704207
>>60704219

At least only playing what one might call "guitar-classcore", as in, Beatles, Sabbath, riff and chord based ordinary song structures from mainstream rock type stuff. Forget Yngwie. Forget "playing properly". Forget the mainstream idea of rock. Just play.

It's not the School of Rock. It's your music, and you get to call the shots. You don't NEED to play anything you don't want to. First of all, enjoy playing. The rest will come later.

>>60704440
>he lacks the passion of Hendrix or even Steve Vai
See, I like Vai and Hendrix as much as the next guy, but it's still part of the "legend of the electric guitar", you know the one with Page, Clapton, all that. There's a big mythos in rock about electric guitar players, but the music you play doesn't have to be about that, because there's so much more out there.

Also, if you haven't heard about Sunn O))) or Swans, you're probably new, in which case you might at least get acquainted with at least the basics of /mu/core, since /mu/ generally rejects bands like Led Zeppelin or Queen in favor of stuff like Swans, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Boris when it comes to rock (with both good and bad results, I may add).
>>
>>60704609
>At least only playing
At least don't only play

fuck me
>>
>>60704609
I appreciate what you're saying, but I have heard of Sunn (Who struck me as pseudo Black Metalheads) and Swans (whom I assume RHCP would turn into if they dared try a combination of DMT and crystal meth) but I get it; I need some Weird shit to play and you've hit the nail right on the head there. Thanks man.
>>
>>60704371
Honestly just fuck conventional style and fuck guitar music entirely. Your guitar is your tool. You're making music not the guitar. just make whatever sounds inspiring, regardless of genre.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.