[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you explain to people who listen to wanky crap like s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: h-MAB-quad.jpg (28 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
h-MAB-quad.jpg
28 KB, 600x315
How do you explain to people who listen to wanky crap like steve vai or praise the rhcp bassist that their taste is garbage? I tell them that once they get to a certain level of musicianship, their music becomes more about showmanship and being a douche bag. But as opposed to what? Their music becomes more about showmanship instead of what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az30dDDHm8Q
>>
>>60662810
Lol but Steve Vai is good despite his senpai base, everyone goes through that guitar shredder phase, people grow out of it. But Vai is honestly really good, his tracks are produced really well too.
>>
>>60662810
flea is a solid bass player senpai, if they prefer him to john myung it's a good sign

just rec them some great but technically simple music
>>
>>60662838
Whatever. I just fucking hate people who praise being fast and accurate over absolutely everything else. Someone could be high and drunk off their fucking ass and make something I want to listen to 100 times more than steve vai. Just look at noise rock and punk.
>>
>>60662838
not OP, Vai is a great guitar player but his taste is questionable to say the least

>>60662867
m8 listen to felx-able, that's his least wanky album and one of his best
>>
>>60662852
I just think of bands like low, they're masters of subtlety. Pretty much all slowcore is. Then you have noise rock like drunks with guns, brainbombs, flipper. That shit gets so fucking simple, but it's 1000 times better than fucking steve vai.
>>
>>60662810
then there's the opposite side to this spectrum where you have indie faggots who willingly make no effort to learn their instrument,
spout shit like "music theory limits creativity" and then proceed to release ambient shoegaze bedroom pop project #443298312894216 on badncamp
>>
>>60662887
this is a factual statement.
>>
>>60662867
How can you not appreciate how much of a good musician Vai is? Have you even listened to all of his stuff? His "Flexable" album might be more up your alley. Honestly it's just a phase people grow out of, I used to love that shred stuff when I was 14-16, then I grew out of it, but Vai is still great.
>>
>>60662897
Idk, I listened to tender surrender a few times. I listened to a few of his songs on /mu/. I've always thought about it like this. College professors say smart things in a complicated way, artists say complicated things in a simple way.
>>
>>60662925
>I listened to a few of his songs on /mu/
sorry, I meant youtube.
>>
>>60662810
>Steve vai
>bad
>>
>>60662810

Godammn stratovarius is so fucking bad i don't get why most people act like they are the pinnacle of power metal
>>
>>60662925
You might not like his style, but he is a top tier musician who knows his shit, Alien Love Secrets is a great ep. Listen to "Die to Live" and "Feathers". The album he did with Devin Townsend is pretty cool too. I don't like everything Vai does, but sometimes I'll listen to him and go "wow". You might not like that show-off-ey style, but not many people can create the stuff he does. If you want wankey, listen to Malmsteen.
>>
>>60662925
tender surrender is overhyped as shit m8 check these out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIgrB_ZF40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcFbpLyt_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3KjHpB72hA

or his album with devin townsend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twi28xWoLxc
>>
>>60662952
that video the keytar guy wasn't even playing in time. it was so fucking sloppy.
>>
>>60662967
>The album he did with Devin Townsend is pretty cool too

fuck yes it's tacky as shit but I love it, and Pig is 10/10
>>
>>60662995
>Touching Tongues
>Sex and Religion
>Rescue me or bury me

So many good tracks, it's goofy and emotional all at the same time. That's how I would describe Vai actually: Goofy, yet emotional.
>>
>>60662967
Aw god, all of it fucking sucks. Steve Vai, Devin Townsend, fuck them. You wanna know some good technical music? Gorguts, or exivious (the members of cynic, which is kind of a crap band). I hate Devin Townsend so much. His industrial metal band whatever it was called was so embarrassing. These are people with the capability to understand how music works, but no brain for making it themselves. They're intellectually lazy people, who exploit their musical ability to get ahead, and gullible people buy into it because they think that's what makes someone good. I don't want to hear that pretentious garbage, coming from the fans of this masturbation fest.
>>
>>60663016
Holy shit, Listen to Ocean Machine by Townsend, or Terria, the guy knows his fucking stuff.
>>
>>60663016

>They're intellectually lazy people, who exploit their musical ability to get ahead, and gullible people buy into it because they think that's what makes someone good. I don't want to hear that pretentious garbage, coming from the fans of this masturbation fest.

You could say this about 90% of the stuff discussed on /mu/ especially stuff like Death Grips and Animal Collective.
>>
>>60663040
Yeah, I have, when I was like 16, when metal was all I listened to. It still sucked back then. Shit like that never appealed to me. I remember I used to browse blogspot and look for albums with nature on the cover. I don't listen to music so I can pick it apart and snicker at my ability to recognize intricacies in music. I don't find that kind of self indulgent masturbation amusing. I'm not so self absorbed that I would care about that.
>>
>>60663016
>Gorguts
>good

>Cynic
>shit

wew lad

memes aside we have different tastes
>>
>>60662810
I always just say they're trying to impress instead of express.
>>
>>60663079
perfect.
>>
>>60663071
>I don't listen to music so I can pick it apart and snicker at my ability to recognize intricacies in music. I don't find that kind of self indulgent masturbation amusing. I'm not so self absorbed that I would care about that.

Holy shit if you think early devin's music is a wankfest then you must have listened to fucking nokia ringtones for your whole life. His latest stuff is shit but up until Ki he's always a pretty direct musician.
>>
>>60663071
How can you not like Ocean Machine? What the fuck is wrong with you? I grew out of my metal phase from when I was 15 too, but Ocean Machine is a beautiful album with a really crisp and atmospheric production.
>>
>>60662937
>you think I grew out of metal.
>>
>>60663016

Sex & Religion isn't even that technical anon, you're either ignorantly dissmissing music because "muh wank" or baiting

> They're intellectually lazy people, who exploit their musical ability to get ahead, and gullible people buy into it because they think that's what makes someone good.
> Devin Towsend
Further proof of bait

Gorguts is cool though
>>
>>60663137
meant for >>60663114
>>
>>60662969
Man, is that ever some boring drumming on that first song. >lemme loop some stuff and play really elegantly over this
oh yeah, I'm gushing sperm over this.
>>
Ocean Machine is a fucking fantastic album.
>>
>>60663179
yeah the drums are pretty technically difficult in that one but try to get over that fact senpai ok
>>
>>60663202
>muh technical difficulty
bait
>>
I tell them that I was born in the right generation, then I lend them my copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and I keep insisting until they finally accept it.
>>
>>60662838
>>60662881
Ehhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQqCoCAt2ew
>>
>>60663219
lmao go listen to some blastbeats kiddo
>>
>>60663071
You're a fucking idiot.

If you actually put your stupid biases aside and listen to the music you would appreciate that it's just a different method of self-expression.

Why should someone with Vai or Townsend's technical skill put limits on what they do? Not everyone will enjoy it obviously, but if you can do that type of thing why wouldn't you?
>>
I don't value technical efficiency. You just need to be good enough for the piece. And I feel some pieces do need to be fairly complex and, for lack of a better word, "wanky". Not all of them, and a lot are just fluff, but I don't that just because you are a virtuoso that chooses to use that copious talent on occasion it automatically means your music is bad.
>>
>>60663335
and to be frank devin's technical skill isn't really noteworthy, if someone thinks he's too technical then this someone is baiting
>>
>How do you explain to someone their taste is trash
/mu/ has contaminated you. You fucking don't, you don't teach someone to hate the music they like. You just learn to articulate why you yourself like or don't like things.
>>
>>60663335
Maybe they should make something that isn't cocky bullshit? Look at vai, he's an obvious narcissist. Yeah, if you can back it up, you can brag about your guitar ability, have big long flowing hair, defined cheek bones and play really long guitar solos. If you think that's going to win me over, if you're going to say I should want to listen to that, you're baiting me.
>>
>>60663442
>Maybe they should make something that isn't cocky bullshit?

Why should they though? Does the existence of music you don't like disturb you so much?
>>
>>60663528
Bait
>>
>>60663442
You could use the same argument about every memerap artist ever.
>>
>>60663554
Implying I like that shit.
>>
>>60663554
wait, what the fuck? how are you comparing meme rap to steve vai?
>>
>>60663538
I'm not baiting, if steve vai wants to express himself that way there's nothing wrong with it, just focus on the music you like if that shit upsets you so much
>>
>>60663588
The argument that Steve Vai is "cocky" and a "narcissist." Do you really think rappers are humble? Memeshitters are fucking delusional.
>>
>>60663391
He's not a brilliant guitarist, but he's a phenomenal vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY
>>
>>60663612
But, but, but, but, but, but, I think his playing is poopy xd
>>
>>60663625
Vai is definitely a different kind of cocky, stop being disingenuous.
>>
>>60663625
Meme rap is post ironic, people don't appreciate it the same way. >>60663627 this is so fucking corny oh my god. it's just as ear wormy as pop music. When you have a part of a song stuck in your head that you don't want stuck in your head you know that you've listening to crap.
>>
>>60663612
Fucking this, I know hating on shit you don't like is basically what this board is for but I hate people who would rather do that than have actual discussion of music they appreciate. It's like hanging out by gym lockers in high school.
>>
>>60663649
Ah, okay. He's just not the kind of cocky that talks about how big his dick is, how many bitches he fucks, how much money he has or how better he is than everyone else. He's something much worse, a white guy who plays gitar music with long hair.
>>60663664
>rap is post ironic
spotted the retard!
>>
>>60663079
This sums it up really well.
>>
File: 1405168697555.png (66 KB, 701x674) Image search: [Google]
1405168697555.png
66 KB, 701x674
>>60663713
>>rap is post ironic
>spotted the retard!
I said meme rap
>>
>>60663079
But how can you tell, though? Is every music that's highly technical fundamentally hollow and made for impression's sake? Or just the ones you don't like.
>>
File: 1444765154953.gif (425 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1444765154953.gif
425 KB, 512x512
>>60662887

you're not wrong
>>
Is there a virtuoso that writes okay music? I mean, sure there's these guys with their heads stuck up their own asses, but on the other end of the spectrum you've got various great composers who also happen to play crazy well.
I've never seen the middle ground, though.
>>
>>60663954
To me, Vai is that. As opposed to people like Malmsteen and Satriani.
>>
I'm with you OP, I can't stand 8 my nute solos. It's like watching Kenny G hold one note for 10 minutes. Yea, it's impressive but certainly doesn't make them creative or interesting
>>
>>60663954
if you mean only metal(-ish) virtuosos then I'd say Shawn Lane, Ron Jarzombek, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker (best neoclassical guitarist desu)

>>60663977
come on satriani's a pretty good composer, much more tasteful than vai imo
>>
>>60664014
I never find virtuosos to be "tasteful" but I was never one for Satrianis style. Again, since I don't find virtuosos to be automatically shit like most of /mu/ does it's not because it's "wank" so much as it's just because I find him pretty boring.
>>
>>60664381
>. Again, since I don't find virtuosos to be automatically shit like most of /mu/ does it's not because it's "wank" so much as it's just because I find him pretty boring
but that's what the term wank implies. boring, pretentious crap.
>>
>>60664473
I don't find it pretentious. I just find it boring, like, just boring. As boring as, say, pop music is to me. Just 'cause he's playing a hundred miles per hour it doesn't offend my sensibilities especially, as it apparently does to most people. The technical aspect is something that I never take into account, whether enjoying Vai or getting bored to Satriani. It's just that I think Satriani is kinda boring.
>>
>>60663954
Leo Kottke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tew_fIhz3eY
>>
>>60662810
i play them some good ol' la monte young and they die every time
>>
>>60662838
>his senpai base
kek
>>
this threads reminds me of this
http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/zimi/pages/misc/yngwie_rates.html
>>
>>60665374
What a fucking prick
>>
>>60663060
Those bands do interesting things though.
>>
i don't explain to people that their taste is garbage, why would you do that?
>>
>>60662838
>>60662881
>>60662897
>>60662967

>all the same person
There is way too much credit being given to Steve Vai in here, no way it's fucking possible.
>>
>>60665374
This belongs in future cringe threads
>hating Dinosaur Jr, The Cure, and Jeff Beck
>being picky about how the notes are bent
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 195x110) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 195x110
>>
>>60662810
Listen to a song like Snow (Hey Oh) and tell me that Flea is wanky. You can't tell me that Flea is a showmanship douchebag. He plays his instrument well and shows it on record. Steve Vai and people like Yngwie Malmsteen base their whole careers off their guitar wankery, with discographies full of pure wankery. Flea on the other hand can still play his instrument without stealing the all the attention. I'm not praising him, but he's far from wankery.
>>
File: Farquad.jpg (85 KB, 572x488) Image search: [Google]
Farquad.jpg
85 KB, 572x488
>>60662887
Can't argue with facts and logic
>>
>>60664014
Jason becker is my favorite desu senpai
>>
>>60662810
that music video is amazing
>>
File: wtf.gif (906 KB, 340x173) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
906 KB, 340x173
>>60664014
>satriani's a pretty good composer
Ugh. Die in a car fire.
>>
>>60665374
I knew he was a dick but fucking shit man

he is way overrated himself
>>
the circus is popular for a reason
>>
>>60665374
>Lars Ulrich is a good drummer
>in the same breath derides Hammett's playing
every fucking time
>>
>>60663441
Someone speaking some sense
>>
File: travis_clap.gif (634 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
travis_clap.gif
634 KB, 500x460
>>60663079
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.