[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need advice on procuring an upright piano. I know /mu/ is mostly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: gbent.jpg (296 KB, 800x757) Image search: [Google]
gbent.jpg
296 KB, 800x757
I need advice on procuring an upright piano. I know /mu/ is mostly for discussion about the music itself, but would any of you /mu/tants know anything about buying a piano?

If this belongs on a different board feel free to point me in that direction and tell me to fuck off. I wasn't sure where else to post this.
>>
Craigslist
People are usually giving them away for free.
>>
>>60660192
Sorry for the vague OP, I didn't want to type a novel.

By advice, I mean what should I look for, and what to expect in terms of price and condition.

I'm looking for something to just play on when I'm in the mood, not looking for a conversation piece or something to take to a recording studio or concert hall with.

>>60660228
What should I look for, in terms of "this thing is fucked beyond repair"? I'm decent with woodworking, and I have a friend whose dad used to tune pianos as a hobby and for extra cash. I just have no idea what I should stay away from.
>>
>>60660257
Usually it should say what the condition is. Most of them are fine. Like I said, people like to give them away, especially churches.
>>
>>60660279
So there's not a specific thing I should stay away from or look for, just make sure it's in not-total-shit condition?

Only reason I ask is because my other hobbies involve very rigid guidelines when it comes to used equipment.
>>
>>60660327
if you can, you should play on the instrument before you buy it. check all of the notes with both slow attacks and fast, repeated attacks. check all of the pedals. if it feels good, go for it.
>>
>>60660411
>if it feels good, go for it.

No idea what 'good' is though. I've played a piano maybe three times in my life. Am I just looking for good hits on the strings, without the hits being too spongy or too hard?
>>
>>60660504
I know it's not an exact science, just looking for a general idea.
>>
>>60660504
just make sure the sound that comes out matches your touch. you can also probably open it up and check the hammers to make sure they are all intact.
>>
File: disnigga.jpg (16 KB, 399x329) Image search: [Google]
disnigga.jpg
16 KB, 399x329
>I know /mu/ is mostly for discussion about the music itself

/mu/ is for memes and shitposting, fuccboi
>>
>>60660504
Have an idea of what you intend your playing to sound like, before you actually play it. The closer the following output is to the way you want it to sound, the better the piano is for you. For instance some people love those creaky saloon pianos for their vibe, whereas others go for ease of play/a clear sound
>>
>>60660614
filtering these phrases
>>
>>60660933
Good advice, thanks. I'm gonna play saloon-type songs most of the time. I just don't want it to be complete shit for everything else.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.