[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i really wanna make music but i feel braindead when it comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 399x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 399x599
So i really wanna make music but i feel braindead when it comes to actually creating shit. i fond songwriting to be quite easy, but making a beat and pairing it with other instrumentation straines me like crazy. my goal is to create an album that represents a landscape but has a catchy theme to each track. what can i do to get over **writers** block? how the fuck do i produce original content?
>>
find*
>>
>>60657495
What is your primary instrument? What genre?
>>
You type like a female, so I'm assuming you're a female. Therefore you're incapable of producing original content.
>>
>>60657563
learning guitar, starting to use my macbook for production. im considering pop rock/folk rock/hip hop fusion, but my main goal is to begin basic work and build my sound from there
>>
sounds like you struggle with sound design more than anything else. best way to go about this is to emulate bands/artists you enjoy to understand what it is about their sound you enjoy, whether if it's the wall-of-sound instrumentation of 60s pop like The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds or it's the reverb and delay laden minimalism of Basic Channel; learn what makes them tick, and "reverse engineer" it basically.

from this you'll learn how certain sonic aesthetics are created and hopefully it'll give you the ability to deviate to create new types of sounds or just sounds you enjoy and find original enough.
>>
>>60657708
i have a dick but dont feel the need to express my thoughts on 4chan in top tier grammar and punctuation
>>
>>60657726
thanks man, this is the type of advice i was searching for. how do you suggest i approach this "reverse engineering" thing? like should i attempt at recreating familiar beats or?
>>
>>60657715
Just try to listen to a few bands that make music you're trying to create. Try Rage Against The Machine.

Learning your instrument a little better would also help. If you haven't been playing long, try learning G, C9, E minor, and D. If you know those, make sure you know power chords. If you're past that point, learn some scales. Don't try to force anything. Just let it flow. It'll hit you eventually.
>>
>>60657488
>>60657726
also, studying theory (especially harmony) will really help with your ability to create pieces with multiple parts that fit together properly. and don't worry about writer's block, it comes and goes for everyone but the important thing is persistence. work on a project till you cant come up with anything further on it, save it, and come back another time. doing other things also helps me a bunch, whether it's just going for a walk, watching a movie, spending time with friends, etc.

it can also help to create concept-approaches when making music, for me i like to write short stories or poems and then try to convert it into music without using words. just keep trying new things till you find what you like and then keep trying even more new things.
>>
>>60657769
Not the same person, but I've been a lot of time trying to figure how musicians make their music. Trying to figure out what gear, recording processes, etc. For me, a lot of what makes music confusing is just the process of creation and the tools used.
>>
>>60657715
Also, with drum loops, make sure you leave a bit of space after the second to last beat in the measure. It helps with the flow.
>>
>>60657857
>>60657869
solid advice, im definitely going to try these methods, thanks for the help dudes!!
>>
>>60657889
it amazes me what normal human beings can create, like fucking animal collective and godspeed you do. like these average people can just dive into their minds and pull out such majestic creations. such a strange yet beautiful phenomenon
>>
>>60657769
recreating a song 1:1 can definitely help because you can analyze just what's making what sound like what during the process of recreating it.

a good example is wanting to learn how to play, say, Heroin by The Velvet Underground. you can look the up the tab (it's only G and A major over and over) but just that alone wont sound like Heroin. in trying to create it you'd hear how the guitar rhythm is being strummed, what kind of effects/production went into the tracks, what kind of bassline and vocal melody is being played with the chords to give it the specific harmonic presence etc.

eventually in your studying things will just "click". it's a vague feeling, but one you'll know for sure when you do feel it.
>>
>>60658023
oooh i love that song, are there any more basics i should focus on?
>>
op here, id like to add that the type of music i was to mash would be like the strokes, last dinosaurs, the microphones, and kendrick. kinda a folky style hip hop album but with a rock aesthetic that pulls it all together
>>
for anyone in a band: is it annoying when you cant perfect your own vision of a song because other band members disagree? does it piss you off when you have to compromise?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.