[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important are lyrics to you /mu/? If you can't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 1000x707
How important are lyrics to you /mu/? If you can't understand the lyrics do you look them up?
>>
Lyrics aren't entirety important to me. Most of the music I enjoy is either instrumental or has vocals that are designed to go with the instruments. For the few vocal heavy artsts I enjoy, I only look up the lyrics on songs I enjoy the most.
>>
>>60634815
Can you give me some examples of lyric heavy artist versus ones you say "go with the instruments"
>>
they've hardly ever mattered, but if I find them nice that's always a plus.
>>
The Mountain Goats and Led Zeppelin respectively
>>
>>60635027
meant for >>60634879
>>
They usually don't matter to me. There are songs that I love and have been "singing along" to for years even though I don't know all the lyrics. Sometimes I'll be compelled to look them up, but most of the time I just try to figure it out myself
>>
if the music has lyics then how could they not be important? this question is like asking - how important is saxophone to you? well if I'm listening to jazz than pretty fucking. not so much if I'm listening to a string quartet...
>>
>>60635096
This is a terrible analogy and many jazz albums feature no saxophones
>>
The vast majority of what I listen to are purely instrumental pieces. I do enjoy good lyrics, insofar as they serve the music.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKyTAe6yeM
Faure was a fucking genius.
>>
Not important at all, it'll about singing manner or voice for me, if there's any, but can do without.
>>
>>60635360
the fuck is this?
>>
>>60635117
what? name one famous jazz with no saxophones?
>>
>>60635077
Rammstein anyone?
>>
very important
how can you listen to joanna newsom and ignore the lyrics for example
>>
>>60635404
Apres un reve, by Gabriel Faure, performed by Veronique Gens and Roger Vignoles, with lyrics translated into French from an anonymous Italian poem.
>>
Most of the time they don't matter to me, as long as the voice goes with the song, but sometimes when I listen to some prog metal artists the lyrics can be so cringe-worthingly bad that they ruin the experience for me. Unless hat happens, they dont matter to me. Unless I'm listening to someone rap
>>
>>60634763
Really depends on the music. For jazz and classical not really important.
>>
I think that as, not just an artforn, but a medium between creator and consumer, that music relies pretty heavily on lyrics.

I know many people say that music really speaks to them, but I feel that any guitar or piano or whatever is just blown away by the human voice.
>>
>>60634763
Almost meaningless. It's the music of the song that I'm after, could usually care less about lyrics, unless they're truly amazing tier a la The Smiths.
>>
>>60635412
im not even dignifying this bullshit seriously fuck you
>>
>>60635412
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Wayne Shorter - Super Nova
Thelonius Monk - Alone in San Francisco
Herbie Hancock - The Piano
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There
>>
Melodies>Feels>Instrumentation>Songwriting>Production>Lyrics
>>
File: homepage_large.203494bd.jpg (130 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.203494bd.jpg
130 KB, 319x319
This is one of my favorite albums ever but I've never been able to understand a single lyric
>>
depends on the music
>>
>>60636189
most of these are not "jazz" with a capital J so
>>
Lyrics are not that important, but if they are really good, they can make an already great song perfect.

Case in point: Dogs - Pink Floyd
>>
if the lyrics are exceptionally good, they increase the quality of the music + my overall enjoyment
if the lyrics are bad, they decrease the quality of the music, but for the most part, i don't really care that much i don't really care if the lyrics are bad

if the lyrics are anything inbetween bad and good, they make no difference on the music's quality. as a whole, it's more about the sonic effect of the lyrics as well as the feeling behind them that really matters
>>
>>60635705
You don't have to be actually saying any words to carry a good tune with your voice, and any emotional response you get from someone singing is usually from the melody/pitch of their voice, rather than the actual words they are saying, I'm not saying that lyrics are completely meaningless though.
>>
>>60636892
underrated post
>>
I like the lyrics especially if I can relate to them
>>
>>60634763
it looks like he's about to give a blowie
>>
Depends on the music an if I can hear the vocals or care enough about their lyrical themes to look them up.
>>
lyrics give the song meaning to me, but if the overall sound is better than the lyrics then that means something to me too. examples would be young thug and future, they don't always have meaningful lyrics (except when future is talking about depression) but the overall sound gives it meaning
>>
>>60635404
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>60635688
>Really depends on the music. For jazz and classical not really important.

if you're one of those people that says hello as 'fuck off'

"HI YA MARK!!!!!!!!"
>>
>>60634763
if the lyrics are bad then i can get over it and it doesn't negatively effect my enjoyment eg new order, but when it's good i love it and it can boost my affections 4 the lp.
i love a good lyricist.
>>
File: 1317224114255.jpg (61 KB, 1078x720) Image search: [Google]
1317224114255.jpg
61 KB, 1078x720
>>60635412
>>
>>60634763
Good lyrics alone won't make a song good to me, the overall sound has to be good as well. If I can't understand the lyrics but I really like the song, chances are I will look them up.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.