[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is vinyl really better than Mp3 or is it a gimmick? My parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: vinyl-record[1].jpg (25 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-record[1].jpg
25 KB, 500x332
Is vinyl really better than Mp3 or is it a gimmick?

My parents gave me like 300 old vinyl albums that are a mix of 60's, 70's and 80's and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a record player
>>
Don't play any of the records, if you do, you won't be able to charge $1200 for them on discogs
>>
I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange is well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.
>>
>>60634164
Hello /brit/
>>
>>60634163
There's a Dark side of the moon one

How much is that worth
>>
>>60634207
maybe 10 bucks
>>
>>60634231
nice
>>
>>60634135
Vinyl is fucking awful and yes it is a gimmick

CD's are SO much clearer it's ridiculous
>>
>>60634231
closer to $20 assuming it's not a rare press and it's not completely thrashed. Pink Floyd vinyl has gone up considerably in the past few years because of all the teenagers buying Crosleys and wanting "essentials".
>>
>>60634207
I'd get a record player. Pink Floyd's pretty top notch
>>
Vinyl and CD are better than mp3
Vinyl and CD are basically the same but I'm pretty sure that usually (even now) vinyl is technically better than CD quality (or at least in good non-shitty vinyl presses).
>>
>>60634135
It really depends on the master. Most modern vinyl is just the mp3 pressed into vinyl and priced double with gimmicks thrown ont op. Cool to collect but not necessarily better.

Older stuff is probably mastered way better for vinyl.

Nothing you were given is probably worth anything unless it's a test pressing or signed or something.
>>
>>60634426
All the records are from before 1990
>>
>vinyl

How's a retirement Gramps?
>>
>>60634135

>is vinyl really better than mp3
In short, no.

CDs, FLAC and pretty much 320kpbs MP3s will always be better quality than vinyl.

People think that vinyl is better quality because of the subtle distortions and clicks and pops that give a record "warmth".

Vinyl is still cool tho, if you think you'll enjoy some of the records then it might be worth buying a second hand system or something. Don't bother with those all in one Crosleys though, absolute shit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.