[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is What did h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: guru2.jpg (163 KB, 412x550) Image search: [Google]
guru2.jpg
163 KB, 412x550
>Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

What did he mean by this?

https://youtu.be/Yor-H6Fndjk?t=2m13s
>>
>>60631112
the first verse is this song is so shit

would be so much better with just guru
>>
>>60631112
Possibly the most enigmatic line in the history of Hip Hop.

Guru calls into question the visceral nature of the human condition. If something was “popular” at one point in history, who is to say that at any one given point it becomes unpopular?

Guru wants to prevent his listeners from quantifying themselves down to likes and dislikes. We are a complex people and to treat ourselves as otherwise is to ignore essential truths. As simply as it can be put: maintain an open mind and ‘do you’ for the benefit it for the youth.
>>
>>60631680
Rap fans really will defend any fuckin line
>>
>>60631680
are you being serious?

I've always genuinely wondered what that line mean't
>>
>>60631790

Sounds to me that you're just jealous of Guru, holmes.

He also had some lines for people like you.

See when you're shining, some chumps'll wanna dull ya
Always selfish jealous punks, will wanna pull ya
Down, just like some shellfish in a bucket
Cause they love it, to see your ass squirm like a worm
But just as you'll receive what is coming to you
Everybody else is gonna get theirs too
>>
>>60631983
that one's pretty cool. I just think "Lemonade was a popular drink and still is" is a weak ass line. Maybe with context it's a bit better, but you seem to be taking a lot from that one line. It's cool if that's what it means to you, but It doesn't seem like it actually means that.
>>
>>60632071
what do you think it actually means?
>>
>>60631112
Never heard the turn of phrase "Drinking the lemonade?"
>>
>>60632263
no, please explain.
>>
>>60632330
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
>>
>>60632330

I think it just kind of means that people will do what others are doing without really thinking about the deeper consequences because they assume the person before them did and thus it's okay. Sheep mentality basicly. Just a really pleasant way of saying it.

Even if there's poison in the lemonade/koolaid/punch people will drink it because the person before them did. People don't change how they think. Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.
>>
>>60632463
Me again. but in no way do I think a rap line that has "meaning" but sounds bad is a good rap line, just throwing that out there.
>>
>>60632463
I don't think I've ever heard people say "drinking the lemonade", only koolaid or punch
>>
>>60632554
It's called an allusion. Many rappers change figures of speech up. Usually because they want to go for a pun.
>>
>>60632516
Ya that's kinda what I was trying to say here>>60632071
>>
>>60632712

No I think it's because rap fans bend over backwards to defend when a good lyricist drops a bad lyric.

I will not insist that every Bob Dylan line is perfect, so you should stop what you're doing and enjoy life.
>>
>>60632885
>a good lyricist drops a bad lyric
There is no such thing as an objectively good or bad lyric. What I find to be a great lyric, others mind think of as complete shit, and vice versa. That doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't intend it to be an allusion. And even in case he didn't intend it to be an allusion, ever heard of the death of the author?
>>
>>60632712
Yeah this specific example seems like a stretch on your part
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.