[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/ What are your favourite genres and artists from the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: downtempo general.jpg (781 KB, 1462x1524) Image search: [Google]
downtempo general.jpg
781 KB, 1462x1524
Hey /mu/

What are your favourite genres and artists from the downtempo umbrella?
>>
Global Communication and Alpha
>>
>>60620857
Quantic, Lam, and UNKLE
>>
>>60620873
*Lamb
>>
>>60620857
From there, probably Prefuse 73
>>
File: 1422255783828.jpg (28 KB, 354x313) Image search: [Google]
1422255783828.jpg
28 KB, 354x313
>>60620857
>mfw listening to the first track on Moon Safari for the first time
>>
Future Sound of London
>>
>>60621275
They got that wrong though because the future for them is now, and now the sound of London is grime.
>>
recommend me good ambient fueled downtempo

no s1ck beats
>>
>>60621281
grime is pretty shite atm
>>
File: 1443535018450.jpg (643 KB, 1775x1425) Image search: [Google]
1443535018450.jpg
643 KB, 1775x1425
Future jazz
>>
^^
>>
>>60621349
What are the best albums in each section of these?
>>
>>60620857
>no tosca

Wtf r u doing?
>>
>>60622026
The first ones of each section really are the best, explore more depending which you like.
>>
Antennasia
Bowery Electric
Bugge Wesseltoft
Calm
DJ Cam
DJ Spooky
Future Sound of London
Kid Koala
Laika
Susumu Yokota
Tosca
>>
>>60622077
recs?
>>
>>60622077
Suzuki is there.
>>
Can you guys actually talk about music instead of spamming lists and artists?
>>
>>60623663
Great contribution.

/mu/ is either lists, my picks are better than yours or spoonfeeding, there is never discussion.
>>
>>60623689
That's what you get with over-specific threads like this one and the other ones you've made.

There's plenty of quality discussion in dadrock, classical, jazz and bleep threads.
>>
>>60623737
>dadrock
there are never dadrock generals

>classical
each thread last days and has >20 posters

>jazz
each thread dies with less than <10 posters

So you're whole argument is rather than try and encourage discussion and promote and expand on huge umbrellas of music, we should contain those into tiny single little threads while there are 5+ waifu dump threads, 20 rap threads and multiple /mu/core threads, over and over.

Also, /bleep/ is not for all ''electronic music'', especially nothing ITT.
>>
>>60623737
>over-specific threads

What, like emo for example

style: string
genre: rock
sub-genre: punk rock
sub-sub-genre: hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-genre: post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Twinkly Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock
>>
>>60623770
>there are never dadrock generals
General threads about dadrock bands and dadrock albums tend to be good enough most of the time.

>each thread last days and has >20 posters
>each thread dies with less than <10 posters
Quality over quantity m8.

Anyway I don't see what you're trying to achieve by shoving these over-specific threads down /mu/'s throat, other than annoying me and people like me with your stubbornness.
>>
>>60623782
Yeah, all of those threads are over-specific and as a result have shitty discussion. Save for the occasional emo or post-punk thread where there's one or two people that actually know their shit...

Your point?
>>
>>60623827
>General threads about dadrock bands and dadrock albums tend to be good enough most of the time.

So threads not about a genre but about an actual band.

>Anyway I don't see what you're trying to achieve
Variety, a platform for further in-depth discussion about specific genres and styles.

>>60623845
So basically the whole board.

Sorry for not wanting to talk about the latest club-banger or spam pictures of Tensnake or wanting to talk about New Orleans jazz instead of the same old post-bop and free jazz.
>>
it doesn't help that the genre you're discussing is mostly boring.
>>
>>60623969
This, there is literally no difference between funky breaks and nu-skool breaks.
>>
>>60623946
Hey, at least they're actually talking about the latest club bangers and post-bop and free jazz instead of spamming lists of New Orleans jazz and downtempo artists. I give you Tensnake shitposting though, that is something that needs to be dealt with better.

A good discussion about the same-ol-shit is much healthier than junky "muh variety" threads like this one.
>>
OP's actually got two of my favorites in the chart. I hesitate to call them as such, but BoC and FSOL.

Except not so much stuff like MHTRTC and Lifeforms. More like Geogaddi from the latter and ISDN or Dead Cities from the former (kind of the reason I shy away from "downtempo", since most of the music I like that qualifies as such appears on albums where at least half the tracks aren't downtempo).

Anyways, been listening to a lot of christ. lately, some Telefon Tel Aviv, Dntel...again, more shit that isn't necessarily downtempo but has downtempo on it.
>>
>>60623969
For you

>>60623994
Wrong thread

>>60624044
Its not junky ''muh variety'', its a thread for the massive smorgasbord of anything that falls under the huge downtempo umbrella from trip hop to future jazz, chillwave to broken beat.

>>60624108
Sounds like you prefer the more techno side of things rather than the breakbeat style? Have you listened to much future jazz like that Duo album and Galaxy 2 Galaxy?
>>
>>60624191
>BoC, FSOL, Telefon Tel Aviv
>more techno side
>>
>>60623596
Heh, so it is. I was scanning for that since its my favourite downtempo album. Guess I'm half blind.

>>60623512
Suzuki
>>
>>60621349
I started going through this the other week, the future jazz and nu jazz albums are really, really good, Jamiroquai are awesome, not started on the broken beats as yet.
>>
>>60624044
lol, do people still use /bleep/?

Its been fucking awful ever since Cornettogate, its in my filter now and I was using it from near the start.
>>
>>60624340
It's not flawless but I like it more than shitty threads like this one. Cornettotrash actually gets deleted when people bother reporting it.
>>
>>60624349
this thread and /bleep/ are about completely different music, I don't see how they are even comparable
>>
>GOD TIER
Trip-Hop before 1999
Jazzy Jungle
Ambient Techno

>OK TIER
Atmospheric DnB
IDM before 1999
Ambient House

>MEH TIER
Nu-Jazz
Acid Jazz
Indietronica

>BAD TIER
Big Beat
MallDM
Starbucks-core Trip-Hop

>SUBHUMAN TIER
Lounge
Broken Beat
Nu-Funk
>>
>>60624349
People still get around it though - if they aren't so explicit about it. Tensnake-posting still happens all the time

The other issue is that neo-bleep just can't let shit go. It was never perfect but "pardner vs europoor" debates used to be a minor annoyance, but that shit can derail a whole thread now.
>>
>>60624375
MallDM
lol what is this?
>>
>>60624410
all the compilations shared in this thread

http://forum.funkysouls.com/dump/f57t2916n7100.html
>>
>>60624375
>big beat
>downtempo
>>
>>60624375
*FTFY

>GOD TIER
Trip-Hop before 1999
Jazzy Jungle
Future Jazz

>OK TIER
Downtempo
Broken beat
Ambient House

>MEH TIER
Nu-Jazz
Acid Jazz
Ambient Techno

>BAD TIER
1st wave IDM
MallDM
Starbucks-core Trip-Hop

>SUBHUMAN TIER
Chillwave
Vaporwave
Oceangrunge
>>
>>60624526
>Oceangrunge
>bad
>>
Bonobo is still the best, contrarians fuck off
>>
>>60624526
>dissing 1st wave IDM
tell that to my face f*cker not online and see what happens
>>
>>60625468
Turny can't into genres that don't steal their beats from 30 year old funk songs.
>>
>>60624191
I don't dislike the slow breaks like the kind that make up all of Twoism and a lot of Hi Scores/Music Has the Right To Children, I love that kind of stuff generally. I just meant that I'm not so much into that side of BoC like a lot of fans are, more into the textural, more varied sound of Geogaddi and Campfire.

Beyond that and a couple artists that I feel indifferent about that all came out of the same scene, I don't really know much downtempo breakbeat music.
>>
>>60625468
first wave idm is literally just techno
>>
>>60624526
>ambient house

Does minimal house count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgbmO7AEBQ
>>
>>60625603
'sactly

so why is turny dissing it
>>
>>60625610
because >>60625563
>>
>>60625610
i just don't think he's into it, simply. i find turny's posting tedious most of the time but it's clear that he has his own taste and sticks to it lol.

on an aside, tbqh with u i don't think "idm" as it were got really self-indulgent and shitty until around the turn of the century, imo.
>>
I think it's genuinely funny when people on this board shit on electro-swing but then glorify nu-jazz and acid jazz.
>>
File: Jaga-Jazzist-Starfire.jpg (116 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
Jaga-Jazzist-Starfire.jpg
116 KB, 430x430
Nu jazz is one of my favorite genres. Thoughts on this album, bros?
>>
>>60625703
i find it amazing how a guy can be more than 5 years on a website and still listen to the same kind of music and not branch out (and assuming he's really 40, it's 20 years)

explains his repetitive style of shitposting at least
>>
>>60625610
His favorite genre of music is dumb hardcore music. 1st wave IDM was made as a counter to sample-based dumb breakbeat music.
>>
>>60624526
>FIXED THAT FOR YOU
>puts a broken genre above anything
>>
>>60626027
kek
>>
File: orbital-in-sides.jpg (96 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
orbital-in-sides.jpg
96 KB, 300x300
ambient techno = IDM (1st wave) > ambient house > minimal house > ambient dub > trip-hop > ambient jungle > chillwave > acid jazz/nu-jazz/future jazz > broken beat > indietronica
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.