[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking hate it when bands become famous and lose all of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: foals_antidotes.jpg (104 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
foals_antidotes.jpg
104 KB, 700x700
I fucking hate it when bands become famous and lose all of the energy that made them great.

Case in point: Foals are now shit. But their first album was so fantastic. They are just now completely lacking all the energy and drive that made that first album so frenetic and interesting and different.

I was going to say a band's FIRST album is always their best because of this... but that's not necessarily true. It's just once they become famous or well known that the spark dies.

Thoughts?
>>
>>60613684
"no"
>>
>>60613684
Total Life Forever is their best album
I'd rather listen to Spanish Sahara and Black Gold than shit like Cassius and Balloons
>>
>>60613684
Antidotes was aight but tbf they weren't that good to begin with. No tears here
>>
I've always hated Yannis' voice. I liked the instrumentation on the whole, but the vocals were distractingly posh and simpering.

Most people would say TLF is their best.

I don't feel strongly, either way. Holy Fire and WWD were bland AF, in any case.
>>
>>60613684
Bob Dylan got better after he became famous and he became famous on a level no modern artist does
>>
>>60613684
>They are just now completely lacking all the energy and drive
Nigga have you even seen them live?
They were fucking awesome, Inhaler, Providence and What Went Down just made everyone mosh so hard
>>
>>60613704
Well you're objectively wrong, sorry bout that bro.

>>60613720
I don't think his voice is that posh, also I disagree that most people would say TLF is their best

That album is fucking boring

Spanish Sahara is OKAY I guesssssssssss but it's literally nothing on everything off of Antidotes.

>bland AF

Exactly. To me, everything after Antidotes was bland as fuck. Antidotes has so much energy to it. Fucking awesome album.
>>
>>60613789
They're another public school band, which, as we know, can go either way (Radiohead VS Coldplay).

I've heard their live shows are intense, but, imo, that doesn't make up for bland songwriting. I agree with Fantano in the sense that some of the songs on WWD could have been written by Chris Martin.
>>
>>60613759
Actually maybe you're right, e.g. The Beatles got more and more famous and they kept putting out great stuff.

Okay maybe instead it's just a phenomenon of certain artists hitting a sort of malaise, whether it's caused by fame or something else, and it makes them write boring material because they just don't have the motivation anymore, the hunger, the desire.

It's a saddening phenomenon and I think it happens to tons of bands who just crank out another album so they don't have to go get another job.

>>60613780
Those songs are pretty boring though I think.

I DO quite like Inhaler to be fair... quite a good song. But just generally their standard now doesn't match Antidotes, in my opinion.
>>
>>60613823
Yeah but just because they ARE posh Oxbridgers doesn't mean they sound that posh, and I don't think they do that much, personally.

Ah I didn't know he said that, but yeah, that's what I feel about all their albums after Antidotes.

Whereas ALL of Antidotes has energy - every single song, in my opinion, is fantastic, and is balls to the wall rock, basically.
>>
Antidotes was just simple pseudo math rock album, TLF and Holy Fire are way more complex and mature with elements of dream pop and post-rock

What Went Down was kind of bland though and they really need to change their style now
Especially since they said it would be their heaviest and had only 3 heavy tracks
>>
File: yikes.jpg (131 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
yikes.jpg
131 KB, 648x484
foals are fucking awful, and mostly because of the people they sing to

as someone living in oxford for four years, i can tell you that the absolute fucking deification of them here as one of the few local bands that "made it" has resulted in a music scene so stagnant, uninspired and dull that it is truly horrific

maybe that's just me as someone who was never into indie rock, but jesus christ man it's horrible here and i hold foals fully responsible
>>
>>60614061
My main grievance is Yannis.

I hate it when poshos (not saying I'm not exactly middle class, myself) maintain a laughable 'bohemian' image.

We know he comes from an affluent background, and, besides, your band isn't 'underground' if your producer has worked with F&TM.
>>
>>60613789
OP is baiting hard right? he doesn't actually think that Spanish Sahara isn't their best song right?
>>
>>60613971
>Antidotes was just simple pseudo math rock album
Not really, I would say it's pretty unique.
A lot of math rock is a bit like prog rock - self-satisfying wankery. Just playing complex shit for the sake of it.
Foals took the best elements of math rock and infused it into pop-rock. That's what Antidotes is I think.
>dream pop and post-rock
Meh maybe that's why I don't really like it so much.

>>60614061
That sounds like it could be shit but I've not experienced that myself so yeah, I still really like their first album.

Surely Radiohead are celebrated too since they're basically from Oxford?
>>
>>60614162
It's mediocre at best

It has this build up and obviously thinks it's super epic but it's not really, it just sounds a bit melodramatic really, I really don't care for it very much at all.

Antidotes doesn't take itself too seriously. Cassius, The French Open, Two Steps Twice, these are fucking epic songs in every single way.
>>
>>60614061
They have become the biggest indie band in the UK behind Arctic Monkeys, so go figure
They are way better though

>>60614219
Two Steps Twice and Electric Bloom are the only great songs on the album, anything else from their next 2 albums is more interesting
>>
File: 1447786178842.jpg (95 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1447786178842.jpg
95 KB, 750x750
>/mu/ dislikes Foals
>they mostly like this

Explain
>>
>>60614274
Arctic Monkeys are also great in my opinion and again, I much prefer their earlier stuff. First album is by far the best. Other albums are okay in their ways but just don't match the energy and drive that you can hear on the first album.

Meh, I'm not saying I absolutely hate TLF and Holy Fire but I just never really have any reason to listen to them.
>>
>>60614326
That's another band that I think has succumbed to this effect

I really liked EE's first two albums but I just couldn't get into that album myself.

Shame really.
>>
>>60614371
But that album is easily better than their first 2
I think you might just have bad taste
>>
>>60614115
exactly, this is just as much of a problem. that whole culture is awful and foals personify that

it's like walking into someone's house and they have a copy of the fucking i ching on their shelf next to a john green book

>>60614165
radiohead too, but few people realise that radiohead were actually capable musicians and songwriters, and were pulling references beyond other quirky alt-rock

when your musical footnotes read "radiohead, and, uhh.. pink floyd! :)" it does not make for an interesting project

>>60614274
meh
>>
Is there a single thing more dead and irrelevant than British indie rock right now

If you look at highest rated British albums this year it's all either prog, metal and some electronic
>>
>>60614435
it was dead from the start, the uk is so boring that you can only write upbeat rock songs about life here for so long before it gets tedious
>>
>>60613684
I think it might also be like, you have a lot more time to write and polish your first album. After that some labels may pressure bands to tour and release something a year or two later when they haven't had time to refine their new music.

Interpol comes to mind when I'm thinking about this phenomenon. To go from something as stunning as TOTBL to some mediocre records is so disappointing.
>>
>>60614522
Don't pretend that American indie shit like Savages, Wavves or Beach House is any better
>>
anyone here like pianos become the teeth?
there first two albums are amazing, their first is my favorite. but their third is trash, doesn't even sound like them
>>
>>60614354
>doesn't think Total Life Forever is objectively the best Foals album
>doesn't think Humbug isn't ibjectively the best Arctic Monkeys album

Holy shit kill yoursel you filthy plen how can you have such a shit taste
>>
>>60615725
>*doesn't think Humbug is objectively the best Arctic Monkey's best album
I fucked up pretty bad there desu
>>
>>60613684
>>60615379
>WHY DO BANDS EVOLVE I WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SAME REHASHED ALBUM 20 TIMES WAAAH
>>
>>60615809
Pianos Become the Teeth are fucking great, but their last album was just a transition from quasi-original post-rockish emo to full midwest-wankery, making them sound like a shit load of other bands. It was not a positive transition at all.
>>
>>60615809
who's ur favourite band? foo fighters?
>>
>>60615844
You could see where they were going since their amazing split with Touché Amoré. And c'mon it doesn't even sound like any other midwest emo band, it's actually a magnificent take on modern rock, considering that nowadays it's just shit.
>>
>>60615809
Have you listened to their albums? The third is objectively, by far their worst
>>
>>60615888
What're mu's thoughts on touché amore? I'm pretty new here. I like them a lot, 1st album is my favorite
>>
>>60615917
It's not their worst, it was just a change of style. Have YOU listened to the third one without comparing it to their harsher sound?

And about Touché, I haven't listened to the first one, but the second and third are great, I like the third one more.
>>
>>60615888
What the fuck are you talking about? It sounds derivative as fuck.

>>60615941
They're pretty great.
>>
>>60615979
I just want them to make songs like filial, Jess & Charlie, & prev again :( I will give the 3rd another listen tomorrow tho, I haven't In awhile.
Yes they're very cool, I recommend checking their first out. The 3rd has some great tracks. I love dna, kerosene, & social caterpillar
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.