[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any recommendations for drum machines? I am looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
Anyone have any recommendations for drum machines?

I am looking to get a drum machine, and the Roland TR-8 seemed like it had a good sound in its demos, but I wanted to see if anyone here had worked with it.

Any suggestions?
>>
For the sheer range of sounds you can create, I'd recommend the Elektron Machinedrum, it's minted. Damn expensive though.

The cheaper option is a NordDrum II, however it's still fairly pricey and it doesn't have an internal sequencer (it's more of a drum synth than a drum machine) so you'd either need to trigger it via MIDI from your computer or get an external sequencer such as an Arturia Beatstep Pro. Again the range of sounds you can create is near infinite.

The poor man's option would be a Korg Electribe ER-1.
>>
Tb.h just use samples if you don't need to tweak the sound live or use it live.
>>
>>60612806
Yeah, I'm doing some googling now and I am seeing some positive recommendations for the Electribe.

I'll bookmark the Elektron Machinedrum -- I'll be able to afford that stuff next year.

Thanks for the info
>>
File: PMO COD.jpg (118 KB, 549x515) Image search: [Google]
PMO COD.jpg
118 KB, 549x515
>>60612882
I've messed around with samples and software a bit, but I need knobs to twaddle or I get impatient and feel like I'm writing a computer program

Have a picture
>>
>>60612594
I've played with a TR-8 in a store. Sounded alot better then I thought it would, but tbf, i think that was the big keyboard amp it was hooked up to. IMO I would prefer the Volca Beats if you want to go analog purist, and it's cheaper then the TR-8. OTOH the TR-8 is probably better to perform with. There's an Akai one as well, but I think most of the decent ones cost more then the TR-8
>>
>>60613287
If you want a pure analog 808-alike, there's always the MFB 522, it sounds much better than the Volca Beats
>>
File: art wow.jpg (121 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
art wow.jpg
121 KB, 1024x768
>>60613287
>Volca Beats
This is cool, I'll take a look at that also. The price is real good, too

>>60613349
>MFB 522
This one also has a good sound. I'll add it to the list
>>
>>60612882
I have ableton drum machines pack and it has 808 909 and so on with 8 macros on each drum like pitch and sample select etc.

imo it sounds good but using software is pretty boring compared to hands on with a machine
>>
what is the main difference between a machinedrum and a groovebox?
>>
>>60612594
Lurking because I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on drum machines as well.
>>
File: Ayyb0ss.jpg (294 KB, 1165x1050) Image search: [Google]
Ayyb0ss.jpg
294 KB, 1165x1050
Hey there, not OP but I was thinking about getting the Boss DR 880 and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experience with this thing and if its worth it.
>>
>>60616459
don't bother, it sucks

it's meant for guitarists mainly
>>
akai xr20 here, i want to get a tr8
>>
>>60616872
xr20 a shit
>>
>>60616885
i still like it
>>
volca beats has a great sound and great functionality for the price point. The snare fucking blows but is easy to mod. definitely recommend if you don't want to spend much
>>
>>60612594
this thing sounds like the MC505 I used to have

you can't really go wrong with an electribe (the old ones, ea1, esx1, etc)
they're very cheap and probably the best bang for your buck for drum machines (at least they used to be)
>>
I used to have a machinedrum uwmkii+ and monomachine

they were both really fun to use
pretty powerful in terms of what you could do to the sound and it felt more like an instrument you play more than something you program which is the case with a lot of drum machines

the big draw back was that it took an awful lot of work to get the sound anywhere near being big and powerful, it was super anemic in output compared to something like the MPC1000 I had at the same time (and fucking hated)
>>
Korg electribe sample
load in your own samples and tweak with the filter and other synth parameters
also comes with raw wave samples to make synthetic drums
>>
>>60612594
Get a Korg ER-1 if you feel like synthesizing your own sounds.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.