[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: overrated bands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: led-zeppelin1.jpg (203 KB, 900x1167) Image search: [Google]
led-zeppelin1.jpg
203 KB, 900x1167
ITT: overrated bands
>>
File: nirvana.jpg (89 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
nirvana.jpg
89 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>60585640

Stop posting anytime.

>Led Zeppelin II
>Led Zeppelin I
>Led Zeppelin IV
>Led Zeppelin III
>>
Radiohead
>>
File: dance.gif (477 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
dance.gif
477 KB, 225x225
FOR YOU TO ME ARE THE OOOONNNLY OOOONNEEE

HAPPINESS NO MORE TO BE SAAADD
>>
>>60585640
What are some legitimate arguments for this? I have argued it because I like them, but their fans often think of them as untouchable gods. I pretty much have: Robert plants singing kinda sucks, watered down lyrics, stole a considerable amount of material from other musicians
>>
>>60585843
pretty much because they're iconic rock gods, anyone who aspires to make rock music feels like they have to like them in order to succeed

honestly a lot of their music was straight garbage. what the fuck is that solo on heartbreaker? it's like an 8 year old pretending to do a guitar solo
>>
>>60585843
Pretty much what you said. Their was good yes, buy it was repetive and mostly stolen. Their music gets boring, you can't just sit there continuously listening to it. Yet people look past that and view them as "untouchable gods" because they were a really popular band in their time.
>>
>>60585893
>anyone who aspires to make rock music feels like they have to like them in order to succeed

literally what? they're genuinely a good band. are people not allowed to like them because they're popular? i can't even wrap my mind around your logic.
>>
>>60585893
and they're iconic rock gods because...
>>
>>60585957
because Rolling Stones magazine said so
>>
ME ON THE RIGHT
>>
>>60585957
Because people conform to popular opinion. Plus their was not a whole lot of big bands in rock and metal then. They are also more popular now than they were in their time, people tend to look back at those bands through their rose colored glasses (especially people not even alive at the time) because they were one if the first popular bands in the genre.
>>
File: image.png (2 KB, 263x41) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 KB, 263x41
>>60585974
Reminder that Rolling Stones Magazine gave Led Zeppelin 1 an unfavorable review and compares them as an imitation of Cream where years later only giving it a full score.
>>
>>60585893
steve vai and eddie van halen consider this solo the best solo of rock music, so yeah i don't know about your opinion
>>
>>60585893
>anyone who aspires to make rock music feels like they have to like them in order to succeed
>>>/bleep/
>>
File: robert cunt.jpg (89 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
robert cunt.jpg
89 KB, 640x425
>>60585843
Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
>>
>>60586056
it's so sloppy

https://youtu.be/npoYQMPCOvU?t=137
>>
>>60586054
>no one is allowed to change their mind
>>
File: FUCKing jews.png (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
FUCKing jews.png
2 MB, 1600x1200
>>
>>60586072

So, pretty much he made shitty songs better? I see nothing wrong with this. It happens all the time in rap and r&b with samples.
>>
File: Dio.jpg (64 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
Dio.jpg
64 KB, 620x400
Not a band, but was true of every band he was in while he was in it.
>>
>>60586115
>covering = sampling
You can take a sample of something and make it into something completely different, like Daft Punk did with half the songs on Discovery, but a cover of a song is probably the least creative thing in music, especially if credit isn't given to the original artist. Swap a couple of lyrics around, put your own gimmicky twist on it, and that's a cover.
>>
>>60585934
i think when you first decide you want to do something for the rest of your life, you tend not to have much of an opinion of your own when it comes to that thing. you listen to what everyone else says, you like what everyone else likes, you work the way everyone else works. when we're talking about music, that means having very generic taste.

if you sincerely like them, then of course you're allowed to like them. i like them. but i think a lot of people never develop beyond pretending to like them to fit in, and those are the people who are unwilling to admit their flaws. because they feel like not wholesale buying into these rock legends is some incompetency on their part.

like if they don't like every single led zeppelin song or creative decision, they'll never be as successful as them.

i just realized i misinterpreted your first post entirely, and am just talking past you. my bad.
>>
>>60586080

You have no idea, somewhere I have the original solo from the multitracks.

Its like 10 min of mistakes and failed wankery that they took the best bits from and combined them to make the one on the record.
>>
File: 2165355_orig.jpg (85 KB, 634x345) Image search: [Google]
2165355_orig.jpg
85 KB, 634x345
>>
>>60586412
I love megadeth too
>>
>>60586274
Humility on the internet, why i never!
>>
>>60586274
So much this. You notice it a lot in metalheads as well, that think the must like everything by these "legends" or they won't be accepted into the scene.
>>
>>60585893
>>60586056
>>60586080
>>60586407
>that terrible solo on The Ocean
>>
Led Zeppelin's acoustic songs are really good though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jH1WVKol1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IZ-jATBq9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Qc8ON5mQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxeUBcJzwQM
>>
File: 148927894.jpg (120 KB, 325x717) Image search: [Google]
148927894.jpg
120 KB, 325x717
This
>>
Sex Pistols are really overrated.
>>
>>60588779
False, actually
>>
>>60588779
xD
>>
Joanna Newsom
radiohead
nirvana
Foo fighters
linkin park
swans
Death Grips
Sun Kil Moon
>>
>>60586054
That review was pretty weirdly racist too.
>>
>>60588912
sufjan stevens
animal collective
my bloody valentine
Kanye west
>>
>>60588912
Foo fighters is literally garbage
>>
>>60585957
Because Page was in The Yardbirds and was doing crazy shit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRmpNXQF4w

and Zeppelin gigs were like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUe8x-qFdB0

Shits amazing.
>>
>>60586099
only correct answer itt so far Tbh Senpai
>>
>>60589153
Also the entire reason why the music on this board is able to exist is because of Zeppelin and their ability to discover another market that was not radio singles orientated Pop music, really fucking important.
>>
File: pepe3.png (42 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
pepe3.png
42 KB, 200x200
>>60589153
>click on a random point of the 3 hours long video
>"this is called.. Stairway to Heaven"
>>
>>60585696
>Overrated
>most people can only name around 4 songs off of only Nevermind. K
>>
>>60588803
Everyone knows they're rubish and only important due to historic reasons...right?
>>
Jethro Tull > Led Zeppelin
>>
>>60589301
Nah, most people know Rape Me and Heart Shaped Box, and a few of the covers from Unplugged too.
>>
>>60586407
Rock and Roll is all about the feeling of the notes, the exact notes or tuning doesn't really matter. If it was perfect it wouldn't be right. There's a level of abstraction to the genre that is very intentional. Zeppelin tended to accent that abstraction, like he's very aware of his sloppiness, so he tuned it up and showed it off.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.