[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ I fucking need help. I just listened to this album and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 624x636) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 624x636
/mu/ I fucking need help.
I just listened to this album and I'm conflicted as fuck.
On the one hand it's obviously non musicians attempting to make 60s pop music and family miserably
On the other hand it sounds like almost post-punk-y in some of its guitar breakdowns and is very hard to pinpoint musically
And the lyrics are so fucking weird, sometimes they feel hollow as a landlord's heart on rent day, but in other times they are like unintentionally heartwarming and deep, especially "Why Do I Fell"
It almost seems like this was planned to be this way and I just am gonna go insane if I don't get some answers here soon.
>>
>>60578015
Just listen to where the drummer puts her fills, bands just don't do that normally, reminds me a bit of the Dirty Projectors
>>
idk what to tell you, it's an album born of complete musical ineptitude, and it's perfect
>>
No, it wasn't planned to be that way. There, are you ok now, you autistic little shit?
>>
Don't read too much into the album. It's "outsider art," and celebrated for its non-ironic sincerity, innocence, and charm.
>>
>>60578035
It's not just ineptitude, they weren't screwing up when they played those songs, that's how they wanted to play them
>>
I think it sounds good, therefore I like it
>>
>>60578015
Search for "My Cutie" and you'll understand
>>
File: 1428379062827.png (217 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
1428379062827.png
217 KB, 500x480
>>60578111
woah what the fuck
>>
>>60578073
So it's more like compositional ineptitude
>>
>>60578139
that's subjective (and factually wrong)
>>
>>60578158
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>60578134
Told ya
>>
>>60578139
but then tell me why their compositions are so much more interesting than your average 60s bubblegum pop artist of the time
>>
>>60578207
it's hard to explain, they somehow had only a very faint idea of what pop music is supposed to sound like
>>
OP here, I feel like I should elaborate
Their guitar sounds would be punk music, straight up, if they were on time, tuned, and distorted, but I don't think this was the intention.
The lyrics are so shitty yet deep, I don't understand how this can happen
It's honestly challenging everything I hold, like usually if music is bad it's because it's uninteresting, but this record is so fucking bad yet so fucking interesting.
Its like if Beefheart was a girl who had never listened to music before and couldn't actually play an instrument
>>
>>60578339
>The lyrics are so shitty yet deep, I don't understand how this can happen
they're simple and honest
>>
>>60578388
Yeah, but they feel like they're trying to be throwaway-pop-single #52738 yet she fucks up and makes it actually kind of sweet or honest or even challenging
>>
>>60578339

You're responding to the sincerity of it.

As Lester Bangs said, "Of all the contemporary acts in the world today, perhaps only the Shaggs do what others would like to do, and that is perform only what they believe in, what they feel."

Now whether the Shaggs were truly sincere or just trying to make their father happy is unknown, but in any event, their music seems sincere.
>>
>>60578522
That's what's fucking with me man
It seems sincere, but I know that in all likelyhood the sincerity is a sham and just an act to give their dying father a little happiness
>>
>>60578584
But we just don't know!!!
>>
>>60578584
>sham and just an act to give their dying father a little happiness

You can argue that is a sincere act in itself, and that desire to make dad happy came through on the record.
>>
>>60578644
Fuck man...
That's changed my way of looking at this whole thing
>>
I this one of the most interesting albums of all time?
>>
>>60578693
Definitely
I think it may be THE most interesting album of all time, since most really interesting albums are musically talented to some degree, but this one is the outlier as it is interesting in spite of its musical failures, not due to them.
>>
>>60578015
it doesnt matter if you're good at your instrument as long as the music is good and you have passion. the sincerity and emotion of this record is why it's good, in spite of the fact that these girls didn't know anything about music.

the shaggs are proof that anyone can create music if they're sincere about it. even though most people won't because they're too afraid and they don't have a crazy father to force it onto them
>>
Worth it for the title track and "My Pal, Foot Foot" alone.

None other than Frank Zappa himself declared this band better than The Beatles.
>>
What the fuck is with all these faggots talking about sincerity and whatnot? You either like it, either because it's catchy, or because it's weird in a fascinating way, or you don't. It either catches your attention, yet you don't enjoy it, or you do enjoy it and it also catches your attention.

This all seems like a bunch of pitchfork generation twats trying to decide whether they should like something or not based on its hipster cred.
>>
>>60578015
this is in my top 5 all time fav albums
there are so many melodies hidden, its more of a fun listen to me
and every time u think u hear one it just slides into the next one so u never get bored imo
>>60578051
this
>>60578339
op gets it

finally a thread about them without the usual haters
>>
>>60579694
Name an album with a more interesting backstory.
>>
>>60579718
I'm not saying it's not interest. That's the bloody point. You either find it interesting, or enjoy it, or don't like it, or whatever, based on itself. Love the story? Cool. Hate the album? Well, yeah, a cool backstory doesn't make the album good. Love the album? Fantastic, have your reasons and embrace it.

None of that "Oh, they were trying to be this, and that, and it's pop but deeper by accident". You either like it, or you don't. It's either interesting, or it isn't. Be bloody certain in your opinions, jesus.
>>
>>60579715
The big question is: are musical textures, rhythms, melodies, and harmonies made by accident still genuine?
>>
>>60579793
i think it is
this is in a way the complete opposite of loveless
loveless being one of the most if not the most ambitious record in popular music and the shaggs being completely unaware of everything and the future

shaggs should be mucore imo
>>
>>60579732
You're literally getting mad at people discussing why they think an album is interesting on a music board.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.