[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /mu/, So I'm almost 20 years old, and I'm looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: Dino in WWII.gif (588 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
Dino in WWII.gif
588 KB, 267x200
Sup /mu/,

So I'm almost 20 years old, and I'm looking to get into music. I've honestly never really shown interest in any kind of music until now, I mostly listen to whatever's on the radio, or just nothing at all.

Anyway, what kinds of artists should I look into? I really don't have any preferences whatsoever, I was just kinda hoping you guys could show me the best stuff from a few different genres and I'll go from there.

pic unrelated
>>
File: 1447000771980.jpg (28 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1447000771980.jpg
28 KB, 400x396
well shit man, honestly you're starting really late. Give a listen to Reddit core, then mu core, decide which you like better, then go from there via related artists. Google them to get the chart.
>>
Start with /mu/core
>Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
>Animal Collective-Merriwether Post Pavilion
>My Bloody Valentine-Loveless
>Radiohead-Kid A and OK Computer
Over time continue listening to more /mu/core albums and continue finding deeper music by looking in genres of /mu/albums you like.
>>
File: 1418767693913.jpg (2 MB, 1904x4945) Image search: [Google]
1418767693913.jpg
2 MB, 1904x4945
>>60573054
If you genuinely have no experience then this chart is a pretty good starting place, especially for classical and jazz though the popular music sections leave a bit to be desired.
>>
>>60573054
listen to pre-nevermind nirvana first. then come back. ill be waiting OP.
>>
>>60573195
Thanks, man. I have a friend who's a really big Radiohead fan, so I'll give them a shot.

>>60573222
This is a little overwhelming, but thanks. I'll keep this saved
>>
>>60573264
Don't know how I feel about this. The guys are clearly passionate about their music and everything, but their voices sound like shit and they're not particularly good at guitar. And it sounds like it was recorded with a potato.

>>60573195
Listening to Kid A rn. It's kinda pretty I guess, but it feels kinda quiet and emotionally void. Like this is what I would imagine space sounds like, but I don't mean that in a good way
>>
>>60573548
OKC and Kid A are verry different albums despite being made within 3 years of eachother so even if you don't like kid a I still recommend checking out OK Computer
>>
>>60573548

I honestly can't fathom how someone can get that feeling from Kid A. That said, OK Computer is a much better indie music starting point. Additionally, most of us are so absorbed in our own musical worlds that we forget how inaccessible even the albums referred to as "entry level hipster garbage" are.

Depending on what you like atm, I'd say listen to:
>St. Vincent - S/T
>Vampire Weekend - S/T
>Radiohead - OK Computer
>Arcade Fire - Funeral
>The Strokes - Is This It?
>Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
>>
>>60573790
>entry level hipster garbage
Do people actually use that phrase? That's hilarious.

Looks like everyone is talking about OK Computer so I'll check out that one next.

Also, can I get some songs instead of albums? I'm looking to check out a wide variety of music tonight and still get to bed at a reasonable hour
>>
File: 1419319164469.jpg (1 MB, 1459x1547) Image search: [Google]
1419319164469.jpg
1 MB, 1459x1547
You need some doom in your life.
>>
>>60574265
If you want to get into music, then you are going to have to listen to albums in full from start to finish. Put it off until tomorrow if you don't have enough time tonight.
>>
>>60574265
These are probably the essential songs from OK Computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLEbAVjiLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_NvVMUcG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CVsCnxyXg
>>
>>60574425
This, OP. I was in the same position as you about 4 months ago and I'm trying to listen to at least a new artist every day and I still consider myself extremely entry level. Getting heavily into music isn't something you can really do overnight.
>>
Find a music style you like

Check out some accessible jazz, pop, rap, rock, etc
Then branch out from there. Lurk on here there's some good albums. Also some not so great ones but they'll at least lead you somewhere or away from somewhere in your tastes
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym_ultimate_box_set/
>>
and another innocent soul already tainted by radiofags
>>
>>60574448
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLEbAVjiLA
Holy shit this is great. I don't even know what the fuck is going on in this song, but it's fucking transcendental.

Anything more like this? But the first thing I'm gonna do is listen to OK Computer start to finish
>>
>>60574620
I guess you could call this progressive rock. Listen to Pink Floyd's work, although they're more mellow than Radiohead.
>>
File: spongegrin.png (767 KB, 1280x723) Image search: [Google]
spongegrin.png
767 KB, 1280x723
>>60574620
>my feel when this guy hears Loveless for the first time
>>
>>60574620
>>60574765
Oh, and you might like Absolution by Muse, although I'm not really a big Muse fan.
>>
>>60574765
Okay, I'll have to start a list of albums to check out

>>60574792
Will do

>>60574779
What's Loveless?

On the fourth song of OK Computer, definitely enjoying it so far. Paranoid Android is really fucking good.
>>
>>60574889
Loveless is a My Bloody Valentine album, essential shoegaze and widely loved album. Definitely put that in your "to listen to very soon" folder.
>>
File: 102532343221.jpg (166 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
102532343221.jpg
166 KB, 1920x1080
I had a similar start with music OP, started a job working around musicians, talking openly about what we liked and branched out into trying different music from there.

Personally, I'll listen to an album and if I immediately like it I'll download it and keep it. Others do take more time to get into but generally if something sounds interesting or unique I'll keep it for later and ease into it. Some of my favorite albums have been difficult to get into at first but well worth the effort to listen to a few extra times.

Boards of Canada is an example, I'm not huge on electronic music but now I enjoy BoC a lot, especially in the mornings. Listen to pic related OP.
>>
File: Madvillainy.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Madvillainy.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>60574326
I agree
>>
>>60575028
good. soon he will become a hipstore drone like us, and join our arguments over what The Microphones song is best for cutting yourself to.
>>
>>60575044
Boards of Canada is a great rec. Who knows what you'll end up listening to after starting with that, unlike the rest of this shitty emo rock bullshit that begets only other shitty emo rock bullshit.
>>
>>60574889
Exit Music is like the best song on OKC imo
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.