[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who do you think are the most innovative artists at the moment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: 1447945563398.jpg (23 KB, 537x744) Image search: [Google]
1447945563398.jpg
23 KB, 537x744
Who do you think are the most innovative artists at the moment? I'm trying to compile a list.

So far:

Julian Casablancas + the Voids
Death Grips
Liturgy
Arca
James Ferraro
>>
File: 12088166.jpg (15 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
12088166.jpg
15 KB, 499x368
>>60560596
>Arca
is this some kind of /lgbt/ joke ?
>>
>>60560616
name a single other album with production on Mutant's level.
>>
File: sick.jpg (128 KB, 484x461) Image search: [Google]
sick.jpg
128 KB, 484x461
>Julian Casablancas + the Voids
>Death Grips
>Liturgy
>>
>>60560627
good production = innovation since when?
also james ferraro is just recycling shit at this point, hes run out of ideas for some years now
>>
>>60560628
name better ones then.

Seriously, if you disagree with my choices I want to hear your alternatives. I'm not crazy about all those artists either but I haven't heard anyone innovating like they are.
>>
I dont think there are too many innovators left. Every single artist on your list doesn't really deserve the tag. Not saying they're bad, just not original enough.
>>
>>60560648
>good production = innovation since when?

It's innovation in the most literal sense. It's not just 'good production.' it's an actual stunning feat of audio engineering. To most of the producers on the planet replicating it would be impossible. There's an application of technology that is unprecedented, how is that not innovative?
>>
Joanna Newsom
Maurice de Jong
Leyland Kirby
Otomo Yoshihide
>>
>>60560717
are you stuck in 2006?
>>
>>60560662
I don't disagree but they are the closest I can find. I actually think Liturgy is innovative though.

>>60560648
>also james ferraro is just recycling shit at this point
I thought the same thing but War convinced me he still has it. He is more innovative by concept than music though.
>>
>>60560695
It is not innovative because Stockhausen laid out all the groundworks.
>>
>>60560744
that is really reaching. You can say that about literally anything using electronic sounds, it's dumb
>>
>>60560596
>Innovative
>Liturgy
>>
>>60560934
>▶
oh I must be forgetting all the hundreds of artists that sound like liturgy, could you remind me what they are?
>>
>>60561058
math rock with aborted vocals?
>>
Amnesia Scanner
>>
>>60561074

oh that's right, how could I have forgotten, you are a dumbass. Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>60561090
sounds like chopped n screwed witch house
>>
>>60560788
>it's dumb
So is saying that these artists are innovative. They're just refining already established laws
>>
Still sad JCVZ cancelled their tour this year :(
>>
Grouper
The Haxan Cloak
Hertta Lussu Ässä
Oneohtrix Point Never
>>
>>60560627

Garden of Delete
>>
>>60561122
Since when is the refinement of a form not innovative?

>>60561074
>math rock with aborted vocals?
>>60560744
>It is not innovative because Stockhausen laid out all the groundworks.

I love how there are the best that Liturgy haters. These are pathetic.
>>
>>60561112
sounds like the future of music to me
>>
>>60561145
that Hans Zimmer tier gimmickry is not even close.
>>
>>60561112
is witch house not "chopped n screwed" by definition?
>>
>>60561161
I don't consider refinement anywhere near as innovative as the establishment of the sound core.

And I actually like Liturgy, stop projecting please.HHH is innovative in terms of his views but not in terms of the actual sound.
>>
>>60561196
idk man listen to that and you will see what i mean
>>60561164
perhaps
>>
Isn't everything innovative now though, and therefore nothing really? Like all genres are so mixed up and screwed with at this point it feels almost impossible to say.
>>
>>60561206
>not in terms of the actual sound.
there is nothing else that sounds like The Ark Work. Name a single example.
>>
>>60561239
I can see how much hanging out with Gira affected HHH just by Kel Vahaal alone. He got a lot of the percussive tricks from The time they worked on Look At Me Go.

The other incredibly obvious artist Hunter works around is Richard Wagner..

Vitriol sounds like trap rap.

It's easy to dismantle.
>>
This thread is hilarious.
>>
>>60561291

you are pointing to influences. That's completely different than giving an example. That's like saying Jimi Hendrix wasn't innovative because Pierre Schaeffer used distortion and feedback and Robert Johnson played the blues. You are a dumbass.
>>
>>60561239
Kel Valhaal sounds like Magma to me
>>
>>60561357
Ark Work sounds like borrows a lot of the elements that were utilized with the same exact thought in mind. I am not going to resort to name calling because I'm not insecure, but I think you slightly overrate Hunter's executions.
>>
>>60560596
LITURGY

xD
>>
>>60561408
Don't take the name calling personally dumbfuck, that's something I resort to averting boredom when conversing with musically clueless dickheads.
>>
I like how everyone is just comparing pitchforkcore.
>>
>>60561522
>everyone
its all op, he really snapped this time
>>
>>60561522
I like how literally every person that decries the artists mentioned ITT has zero alternative suggestions of superior innovative artists.
>>
>>60560596

Replace Arca and James Ferraro with Daniel Lopatin and Sun Kil Moon.
>>
>>60561499
You sound like you need to reconsider some things in your life then. I mean it in a good way. You're probably missing out on a lot of cooler stuff you could be doing when bored.
>>
most innovative artist right now is Bull of Heaven. I mean they've innovated music to the point of having anti-music
>>
>>60561548
that actually hurt to read
>>
>>60561546
That's cause there are none. Everything is just a copy of a copy of a copy and/or just shares way too much with already established musical pieces
>>
>>60560596

bo en
i, cactus
pajjama
>>
>>60560616
is arca are gay
>>
>>60561582
i can agree with that
doesnt change the fact that they suck and dont know shit about making music
>>
Peste Noire
>>
>>60560596
All of these are moderately innovative and moderately interesting
>>
>>60561610
not really anymore
>>
>>60561586
that's just bullshit semantics. It that is ture, there is zero innovation because everything is derivative, then Woody Guthrie shouldn't sound any different than Aphex Twin. Just because innovation builds upon the past doesn't mean it's an illusion, and just because you lack the intelligence to distinguish lateral from forward motion doesn't mean it's all lateral.
>>
File: pleb.png (28 KB, 316x56) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
28 KB, 316x56
how can u mention james ferraro but not dean blunt or inga copeland

everything since nyc,hell has been inspired by him

anyway none of those artist you listed are innovated at all.

Just admit it op you wanna feel special for your shitty taste in musique
>>
Autechre, after all this years
>>
>>60561797
>anyway none of those artist you listed are innovated at all.
see>>60561546
I didn't mention those guys because I think they are shit, esp Inga.

I made this thread explicitly to find more innovative artists. That seems to be beyond the scope of mu.

>>60561863
completely agree. Saw them a couple months ago. It's funny, they are still out there pushing forward on the frontlines and everyone else like Aphex has gone home and retired to diddling around on muh analog.
>>
>>60560596
F R I S K
R
U
G
T
>>
>>60561705
The definition of what is innovative or not is totally subjective
>>
>>60560596
holy shit is that a 1st gen Zune plugged into that pussy?
>>
File: 1446065341739.png (2 MB, 1471x740) Image search: [Google]
1446065341739.png
2 MB, 1471x740
>worked with Martin Tetreault producing live free improv turntable music
>produced more avant-garde music with John Medesk
>completely reinvented turntablism and advanced production and methodology
>produced avant-garde musique, experimental electronics, trip hop and still has time for 2 memerap albums
>20 year career without a bad album
>constant boundary pushing live shows encapsulating crowd participating
>2 self designed concept albums using multiple instruments producing all music and artwork
>amazing live and in studio performer and producer
>not from united states
>>
>>60561931
wow, it's almost as if there's no objective external reality. you are blowing my mind you genius you. thank you so much for coming here and sharing this amazing revelation. in all my years it never once occurred to me that something I discuss on the internet might be subjective. wow. you are so smart. are you over 35? just tell me are you a natural born US citizen? cause you are so smart I think you should put yourself in the presidential race. you probably wouldn't even need donations, everyone would support you as soon as you make another super smart post on the internet and they realize how superior you are compared to the rest of us. I am just blown away that I got to meet you BEFORE the world discovered you bending it over and fucking it's ass with your unbelievable intelligence, MR. President ;)
>>
>>60560596
fuck all the haters in this thread
these people mentioned are innovative to the max and i agree with you
>>
>>60562187
Hey OP
>>
>>60562204

Domino said how nice you were to her.
>>
I think the most innovation tends to happen amongst communities of musicians, who share and spread musical memes like vaporwave.
It is simple to make something that uses an idea that hasn't been in common use before, but the real challenge is to make something that is both exciting to listen to and novel.

I don't know if it's really cutting-edge, but I've been excited about the development of vocaloid-type computer-generated music, maybe a program that does automatic improvisation. Maybe neural networks might get involved in music.

some of the other concepts of musical innovation that are really more important, like the way that it represents a sort of statement about music and culture in general by playing on the sounds of the world and of our media & technology, are more subtle and I'm not sure what to say about innovation there.
>>
>>60560596
most innovative release this year i thought was amnesia scanner - angels rig hook

finally combining different audio media into one thing.
>>
>>60560596
>Death Grips
>Liturgy
>>
>>60560738
kek
>>
>>60562429
nigga prairie home companion has been doing that for 40+ years. this time its just targeted towards milenials.
>>
2010s Only

1. Death Grips
2. Flying Lotus
3. A. G. Cook
4. World's End Girlfriend
5. Battles
6. Zs
7. Liturgy
8. Joanna Newsom
9. Sufjan Stevens
10. Macintosh Plus
>>
death grips are innovative for reminding people atari teenage riot existed in the 90s?
>>
>>60562546
lol
>>
>>60562597
What's wrong?
>>
Alt-J
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DUUH9bjcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHujh3yA3BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9ojB-quQk
>>
>>60560596
In terms of pop music.

SOPHIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3N79ktprw
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.