[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you use these labels but then break up rock and hip h0p into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 1448232110750.png (27 KB, 755x597) Image search: [Google]
1448232110750.png
27 KB, 755x597
If you use these labels but then break up rock and hip h0p into numerous subgenres you are pleb as fuck and need to kill yourself
>>
>>60556069
i break up all genres
>>
>>60556079
Rebel.
>>
Not a bad point
>>
>>60556079

This tbhdesu
>>
what's some essential world/trade-core?
>>
>>60556670
What region? Country?

Benna
Iron Band
Extempo
Soca
Pan music
Junkanoo
Rake and Scrape
Goombay
Calypso
Fling
Calypso jazz
Iron Band
Ragga-Soca
Reggae
Spouge
Tuk
Punta
Punta Rock
Brukdown
Garifuna music
Reggae
Roots reggae
Lovers rock
Dancehall
Dub Poetry
Souls
Reggaeton
Bachata
Cumbia
Cumbia
Porro
Salsa
Champeta
Vallenato
Tropipop
Mapalé
Merecumbé
Puya
Tambora
Abwe
Afro-Cuban jazz
Areito
Batá
Batá-rumba
Bembe
Bolero
Chachachá
Changui
Charanga
Conga
Columbia
Comparsa
Criolla
Cuban jazz
Cuban rap
Danzón
Danzonete
Dengue
Filín
Guaguanco
Guajira
Guaracha
Guarapachangueo
Habanera
Latin Jazz
Mambo
Mozambique
Paca
Pachanga
Pilon
Pregon
>>
>>60556693
Nueva trova
Punto guajiro
Reggae en Español
Rumba
Salsa
Son
Son-batá
Songo
Son Montuno
Timba
Trova
Nueva Trova
Yambu
UPA
Bélé
Bouyon music
Cadence-lypso
Compas
Jing-Ping
Zouk
Bachata
Gaga - Rara
Merengue
Perico Ripiao
Latin Rap
Tambú
Tumba
Zumbi
Seú
Ritmo Kombiná
Chutney
Chutney-soca
Dancehall
Indo-Caribbean
Compas
Conbite
Cadence rampa
Haitian hip hop
Kadans
Mini-jazz
Mizik rasin
Méringue
Rara
Rap Creole
Compas
Bèlè (or "Bel Air" in Martinique)
Biguine
Gwo ka (in Guadeloupe)
Aguinaldo
Balada
Bomba
Boogaloo
Danza
Décima
Guaracha jibaro
Latin Rap
Plena
Reggae en Español
Reggaeton
Salsa
Seis
Stringband music
Calypso
Soca
Big Drum
Steelpan
>>
>>60556670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlS8oFzbNYs

more of a film art
>>
>>60556693
Congrats. It appears you have mastered the copy/paste function of your personal computer
>>
>>60556710
You didn't answer.
>>
>>60556718
What...was the question?
>>
File: 1373373464367.jpg (48 KB, 570x653) Image search: [Google]
1373373464367.jpg
48 KB, 570x653
>>60556708
>>
>>60556693
Porro
Post good porro
>>
>>60556744
..and of course he can't deliver
>>
I break up the genres I know, because I know them.

I cant break up Jazz because I don't know the genre very well.
>>
>>60556701
>Reggae en Español
>>
Part of the issue for me, is why break up rock into all kinds of micro genres? What's the point, for such a young style of music? for classical and jazz there's a century-long or multi-century long history.
>>
>>60556848
because things only populate faster as time moves on, hence rock splits into new sub-genres basically every 2 years
that's just natural law of progression

electronic every 3 months
>>
>>60556823
In the early 1910s New Orleans jazz began, combining earlier brass band marches, French quadrilles, biguine, ragtime and blues with collective polyphonic improvisation.

In the 1930s, heavily arranged dance-oriented swing big bands, Kansas City jazz, a hard-swinging, bluesy, improvisational style and Gypsy jazz (a style that emphasized musette waltzes) were the prominent styles

In the 1940s Bebop emerged, shifting jazz from danceable popular music towards a more challenging "musician's music" which was played at faster tempos and used more chord-based improvisation

In the end of the 1940s Cool jazz developed, introducing calmer, smoother sounds and long, linear melodic lines.

In the 1950s saw the emergence of free jazz, which explored playing without regular meter, beat and formal structures

in the mid-1950s, hard bop, which introduced influences from rhythm and blues, gospel music, and blues, especially in the saxophone and piano playing.

In the late 1950s Modal jazz developed, using the mode, or musical scale, as the basis of musical structure and improvisation.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s Jazz-rock fusion appeared, combining jazz improvisation with rock rhythms, electric instruments and the highly amplified stage sound of rock.

In the early 1980s, a commercial form of jazz fusion called smooth jazz became successful, garnering significant radio airplay.

Other styles and genres abound today, such as Latin jazz and Afro-Cuban jazz.

Plus there is acid jazz, nu jazz and future jazz which utilise jazz styles with electronic instrumentation
>>
>>60556744
>>60556804
I never said I had in-depth knowledge of them.
>>
>>60556903
Then why'd you respond
>>
>>60556922
To find out what he was interested in.

RYM chart search facility works better than /mu/ recs anyway.
>>
>>60556883
It's an interesting theory, but I believe these so-called genres are not truly genres in the traditional meaning of the term (they don't define a broadly different stylistic change that stands apart from other genres ) but arise due to the comodification of a musical style.
>>
>>60556848
Agreed, take things like emo for example

style: string
genre: rock
sub-genre: punk rock
sub-sub-genre: hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-genre: post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Twinkly Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock

Plus all the other new types of emo people keep labelling, meaninglessly.
>>
>>60556965
and so the definition of genre becomes modified along with said progression
>>
>>60556981
That's not a progression then, it's merely a modification or redefinition of a term
>>
>>60556990
that's still filed under progression senpai, for better or worse, it's still the next step
>>
>>60556978
Yes, exactly
>>
>>60556848
People do the same for jazz as well. What confuses is me is that no one does it for classical.
>>
>>60556994
What I'm saying is we're not at a point in history where we can accurately designate genres. A lot of these subgenres and microgenres are meaningless, splitting hairs. They have more to do with marketing slight variations in style than naming and classifying distinct changes in music.
>>
>>60557002
Ignorance really.

>>60556891 explains the different jazz genres easily enough and thats straight from Wikipedia.

I've never seen an agreed upon list of genres for classical here.
>>
>>60557025
I'm not disagreeing, but the fact that this is the point we're at right now shows this is the current meaning of a genre tag and has been for the last 3 years at least
>>
>>60557002
Of course people do it for classical. Baroque; Classical (music from the Classical period); Romantic; Expressionist; Impressionist; Free Atonality; Serialism; the list goes on..
>>
>>60557050
It doesn't seem like there are as much genres as rock or jazz though.
>>
>>60557050
>eras
>genres
>>
>>60557070 When it comes to "classical" as a whole, there aren't many genres. Since everything was generally structured or defined by the writing technique of the era, there are basically no genres outside of contemporary instrumental stuff.
>>
>>60557070
Eras are helpful in designating genre. It's what the casual listener would use to describe "genre" when describing what style of music they're hearing. The other alternative would be to use musical forms as a way to describe genre, ie madrigal or motet (prominent forms during the Medieval era). I don't know of a better alternative.
>>
Genres are stupid, music should be free. Once something fits into an established genre, it's already trash
>>
>>60557049
I think we understand that this is currently the way the term genre is used, the point I'm making is it's a problematic use of that term.
>>
>>60557238
I'm unsure of whether that could really 'count' as a genre. I could say symphony-classical, but, that's kinda unspecific. Even though I know being as specific as possible makes me feel special; although, it breaks my heart to have to say I'm listening to classical [to plebs] when listening to anything with a musical structure longer than 16 bars.
>>
>>60557278
That's one of the dumbest comments I've heard today
>>
>>60557278
the fuck are you on. jazz has no definition. it can only be categorized and given traits just as any form of music, so literally, for anything to follow you idea of 'good' it has to be completely raw and uninfluenced, so there goes all 12-not western scales. Go listen to your 'music'(whales fucking(probably actually metal-core)) cunt
>>
>>60557290
It is tough. The best option is probably to describe the era, then another factor that distinguishes it within that era.
>>
>>60557345
so then we're dealing with the format of [time period->trait/form]. I think classical, baroque, romantic, modern, and up to contemporary are just too complex to define them outside of [time->trait/form] because then we get confused dipshits, but thank god most of them listen to metalcore
>>
>>60557382
It never hurts to just name the composer. People who listen to classical music generally know what the music of people like Bach, Mozart, Haydn sounds like (the big names). If it's a lesser-known composer you can for example say "late Romantic orchestral piece". I think that conveys enough info.
>>
>>60557030
>I've never seen an agreed upon list of genres for classical here.

This. Its tricky.
>>
>>60557336
>jazz has no definition.
>>60556891
>>
Its ironic a board where everyone calls themselves patricians and shits on their friends, other websites and reddit for being plebs and normies are just p4k/Fantano drones listening to pop-rock and pop-rap yet do exactly what you said OP.

Ignorance truly is bliss.
>>
>>60556069
I divide classical by eras like every slightly educated person
I don't care about jazz
I divide electronic music into some subgenres even though I don't listen to much of it
Trad music is mostly irrelevant
>>
File: foryou.jpg (31 KB, 423x353) Image search: [Google]
foryou.jpg
31 KB, 423x353
>>60557959
>Trad music is mostly irrelevant
>>
>>60556069
They work for generals but general discussion its dumb, when anyone says any of those its a red flag for a pleb.
>>
>>60556069
yeah
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.