[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are musicians that take drugs inherently better at music than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1448227306560.jpg (1 MB, 1683x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448227306560.jpg
1 MB, 1683x1200
Are musicians that take drugs inherently better at music than musicians who don't take drugs?
>>
>>60548657
yes
>>
>>60548657
Nah.
Zappa is one of the best psych musicians, and he didn't take drugs.
Drugs don't make the artist.
>>
Seems like the only top druggie musicians today are Tame Impala, Beach House, Ariel Pink, DIIV, Flaming Lips, AnCo. So no.
>>
>>60548723
>implying those are the only musicians today who take drugs
>>
I mean, there good music that's not written on drugs and theres good music that was written on drugs. Just listen to the beatles, the stones, the roses, sex pistols, david bowie, ect. Then listen to the smiths, breaking benjamin, joy division, 30 seconds to mars, elvis costello, ect.
>>
>>60548748
only ones who seem to be open about it and are obvious. who else?
>>
>>60548711
>Zappa is one of the best psych musicians
kek
>Zappa
>good
>2015
rockist pls gtfo
>>
>>60548723
Father John Misty takes it too
>>
All musicians do drugs, some are just less open about it.
>>
>>60548763
>>60548723
>>60548711
>this is /mu/s actual taste when it comes to drug users
>>
>>60548711
Zappa has smoked weed and taken LSD in his lifetime. He just didn't want to promote them
>>
>>60548711
>and he didn't take drugs.
he smoked cigarretes
he probably drinked alcohol and coffee too
sorry mane
also people lie you know
>>
File: Velma.jpg (85 KB, 781x741) Image search: [Google]
Velma.jpg
85 KB, 781x741
>>60548764
Miley Cyrus
>>
>>60548657
>musicians who don't take drugs

never heard (of?) them
>>
>>60548817
he tried it once or twice but quickly decided drugs were not his thing
he was a huge coffee/cigarette addict tho
>>
>>60548763
>breaking benjamin
>30 seconds to mars
>>
>>60548880
Yeah not the best examples I'll give you that. Fuck it,drugs do make better artists (other than the smiths <3)
>>
is listening to and/or buying music/merch/going to see an artist or band that openly supports the use of 1 or more illegal narcotics tantamount to supporting the drug itself?
>>
>>60548880
>>60548763
Put Fugazi in there.
>>
>>60548657
That's a very situational question
some musicians take drugs while making an album
and some do drugs to deal with the stress of touring

if you mean the latter then kinda. But I think fan sometimes give the drugs more credit than the artist. there is a reason why DUDE WEED rap is so horrible
>>
>>60548858
Yeah, but I'd say that bad experience contributed heavily to his music. Freak Out wouldn't be what it is without LSD, whether Zappa liked the drug or not
>>
>>60548952
yes but its only bad if its for degenerate drugs (heroin, meth)
>>
File: IMG_0908.jpg (448 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0908.jpg
448 KB, 960x1280
Lets ask Jonathan. Hey Jonathan... hey Jonathan, are musicians that take drugs inherently better at music than musicians who don't take drugs?
>>
drugs are fo suckas nigga
>>
Good musicians often do drugs, so do bad musicians
>>
>>60548657
No. Drugs make you more creative but impede craftsmanship. It depends on the person.
>>
Basically the question you are asking is is 'B' style of music that is only made in that way better than 'c' style of music because of how they weren't impacted by drugs in anyway

For example I couldn't think of one psych-rock band that hasn't taken some form of drug in there life
However there is probably plenty of composers who are completely straight edge

Drugs influence the style of music created. you cannot say one style of music is objectively better than another
>>
>>60548763
Johnny Marr has admitted to taking drugs
>>
>>60549012
So if you saw someone wearing a verve tee shirt you'd think that's bad

Like fuck me why does everyone care about what the artist has done previous to the music just enjoy the fucking music
>>
I used to hang out with a lot of musicians when I lived in Vancouver and I remember asking one of my friends who was in a band the same question about drugs and music.

He could only attest to Psychedelics but said that writing music (notation) became much more difficult while playing music and improvisation became more fluid, you're a lot less concerned about whats going on technically. The compromise they reached was to have a tape recorder going to capture what they played under acid/shrooms/etc so they could review it later and transcribe any bits they liked.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.