[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's one of these threads again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Who's the Terrence Malick of music?
>>
Bowie.

Those who 'get' him love him and those who don't think he's a talentless hack.
>>
gy!be
>>
Kanye
everyone calls him an artist, and he obviously has a unique point of view, but has never really produced anything that interesting.
>>
malick is known for leaving then returning to the film world. he has few works, but they're considered of high quality. existential themes of death, life, nature, and god are explored. the mundane, scientific, and historic are put side by side with the holy, transcendent, and mystical. accused of being overly earnest

no joke I would say Jeff Mangum
>>
>>60523488
this is the correct answer
>>
>>60523306
decent but overrated to hell by plebs who just got into their respective medium because it's the only remotely challenging art they've encountered?

>>60523488
>>
>>60523306
I saw Malick's new film the other week and it had a great part where Ashtray Wasp by Burial was used.
>>
>>60523339
that description is more fitting on scott walker, no one thinks bowie is a hack
>>
>>60523572
damn that's cool. supposedly he loves green day too lol.
>>
>>60523612
one view of bowie that floats around is that he took something that was being commercialized and dialed that part of it up to 11, elevating it to art. Kind of like the Andy Warhol of music. Opinion is still pretty divided on whether its considered a hack move or not
>>
Lauryn Hill

actually >>60523488
was right on the money

>>60523421
lol I bet you love radiohead and swans
>>
>>60523306
To The Wonder was so bad
>>
>>60523339
Bowie is Kubrick. Long career with lots of different styles. Rides the line between art and commercial, managing to appeal to both audiences
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 327x344) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 327x344
No one listed ITT has a fraction of Malick's talent.
>>
File: martin-scorsese-image-2.jpg (131 KB, 792x800) Image search: [Google]
martin-scorsese-image-2.jpg
131 KB, 792x800
Who is the Scocese of music?
>>
>>60525908
>Malick
>Talent
Choose one senpai
>>
>>60526016
Beethoven
>>
>>60525239
rewatch it as a horror film. this woman is slowly suffocating spiritually. her husband is strong but cannot see her or hear her cries for help. the european lady and man with the spiderskull tattoo are ominous, demonic figures. The man she goes to for help, a priest, is blind in the dark and worse off than she is! this movie is horrifying!
its jusr as good as badlands or days of heaven at any rate
>>
>>60525845
>Long career with lots of different styles. Rides the line between art and commercial, managing to appeal to both audiences
that's Spielberg tho
>>
>>60526016
the rolling stones
theyve been around and seen it all, tried it all. they are seen as having earned their bona fides. but theres really only one kind of vibe they do best...
>>
File: based spike.jpg (2 MB, 3111x3216) Image search: [Google]
based spike.jpg
2 MB, 3111x3216
who is Spike Jonze of music?
>>
>>60526238
some talentless hack twee artist
>>
>>60526238

Probably Calvin Johnson or something
>>
>>60526238
high-concept (fantasy/sci-fi) productions exploring down-to-earth human issues. "Weird Cool" but not truly weird or really cool

the flaming lips

damn I've done all 3 of these is anyone else trying?
>>
>>60526238
Thomas Mars :^)
>>
>>60526256
what the fuck is twee?
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 600x500
who is the donald trump of music?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.