[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu I have come to an impasse. I've been playing guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: $_86.jpg (98 KB, 599x800) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
98 KB, 599x800
/mu I have come to an impasse. I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years now and I'd like to say i'm pretty good, at least all of my friends say I am. But I am at a rut. I feel as though I'm doing the same thing over and over again, without improving. And i really don't know what to do next. I just need some advice or some information about sites that can help me out. I am self taught completely, using resources from the internet and by ear. I'm not opposed to lessons, i just don't want to pay a boatload.

A basic rundown of where i'm at right now is that i've got my major, minor, and major and minor pentatonic scales down pat and I solo along to backing tracks to songs from like hendrix and floyd. I mostly play blues rock, but i also love metal and mellow acoustic songs. Just lay on the advice please /mu
>>
can you play no-wave?
>>
Jazz
>>
>>60490818
holy shit i never even knew that was a genre, but i searched it and i know some of the bands. anyway no, but i can learn.
>>
>>60490845
this
>>
>>60490845
tried that. Where do i start? My uncle told me to start with the standards, like autumn leaves
>>
>>60490867
Start with understanding the theory first
>>
>>60490937
Any good videos or websites you know?
>>
>>60490961
>Any good videos or websites you know
No wonder you're not getting anywhere
>>
anyone can master the guitar, but not anyone can create music. sounds like you're just not that creative a person and are going to be stuck playing stuff other people come up with. there's whole thread of people in the exact same situation you find yourself..../gg/ you should frequent it and at least you can make fun of beginners to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>60490799
Alternate tunings. It's like learning the instrument all over again desu senpai
>>
>5 years
>i've got my major, minor, and major and minor pentatonic scales down pat and I solo along to backing tracks
I don't mean to seem harsh but maybe guitar isn't for you
>>
Learn to sing and play if you haven't already
>>
>>60490961
All of the theory m80, get a book, learn what makes chords and scales. And practice everyday at least a couple of hours, real practice no random jamming.
>>
>>60490867
www.justinguitar.com/en/JA-000-Jazz.php
>>
>>60490799
>>60490867
>>60490937
If you know your major/minor and pentatonic scales you already know a decent amount of theory to play jazz. "Autumn Leaves" is a good tune to start with because it's in E minor which is very accessible to guitar players. Learn the melody, the chord changes, and then just solo over the head for a few minutes and get comfortable with the tune. Then research diatonic theory: it'll help you understand WHY jazz chords are spelled the way they are, what their function in a progression is, and which scales work most appropriately under each chord. Make sure you know the blues scale, and try substituting it for the natural minor or minor pentatonic when soloing to familiarize yourself with passing tones and blue notes. Try adding them to familiar licks for a bit of color.

Here's the deal, though: you have to actually like the way jazz sounds. Otherwise, why invest all the effort into it? If you want some good places to start with jazz guitar, check out "El Hombre" by Pat Martino (that's what I started with) or anything by Jimmy Bruno or Joe Pass. I didn't know much more theory than you when I started with jazz, so I spent a lot of time trying to imitate the guitar sounds on those records even if it wasn't the most structured way to practice. Jazz rewards experimentation. Also >>60492651
random jamming is the essence of great jazz, it's one of the greatest feelings on earth and it's how a lot of great musicians come up with new ideas. But learning the theory behind why jazz improv sounds the way it does will give your music more interesting direction than just dicking around all over the place.
>>
>>60491716
>Muh theory
>Muh music knowledge
>you cant possibly create music without knowing every little insignificant detail about your instrument

wow what a surprise an elitist retard on /mu/
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.