[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 400x400
I don't get it
>>
2fakedeep4u
>>
>>60490609
>>60490673
plebs
>>
>>60490609
When was the last time you sat in the middle of the woods at noon on acid
>>
>>60490680
is that what you need to do in order to enjoy it?
>>
the intro to sweet thing is probably one of the best things ever recorded
>>
>>60490680
you've never done that either, and you never will
>>
i smell a fresh meme
>>
this album being as popular as it is on here just proves that a lot of /mu/tants are college kids who think they're Very Deep
>>
>>60490695
>acid isn't hard to get kiddo
>>
>>60490745
Yeah, but you'll never get any cause A. you don't know anyone who sells, B. you can't afford it, and C. you're too scared to take it
>>
Astral Weeks is the ultimate pleb test. If you don't "get" Van Morrison singing his heart out on Madame George then I don't understand what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>60490769
10$ a hit u w o t m8
>>
>>60490609
what's there to fucking get
>>
>>60490769
A) I reside on a college campus my friend
B) Acid is like 10 a tab
C) Past tense my dude
#takingthebait
>>
>>60490789
it just sounds like a boring country album imo
>>
>>60490695
>>60490769

not even him but

>what is tor
>what is internet
>what is $20
>what is taking smaller dose first time

what's the point of your trolling?
>>
>>60490811
The point of my trolling is that I don't like Van Morrison due to what anon mentioned in >>60490723
>>
>>60490810
then you're just stupid
>>
>>60490810
Here's your (You)
>>
>>60490827
Who hurt you when you were a little kid? What's an album you would advise OP listen to instead?
>>
>>60490827
Are you saying you base your opinions on those of others?
>>
>>60490827
>not liking things because of factors external to the Actual Thing

how does it feel to lack the ability to form your own opinions?

not only that, but this >>60490723
is retarded.

https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html
>>
>>60490850
>>60490859
>>60490862
ok, i lose
>>
I feel like you missed the point of music if you don't like this album.
>>
>>60491029
I agree desu
>>
>>60491029
jesus fuck could you be any more pretentious
>>
>>60491064
I mean, yeah.
>>
it sounds too much of its time
this just makes me think of shopping in grocery store at night and hearing plain 60's/70's music playing over the intercom
>>
>>60491082
stop fucking laughing at me
why's everyone laughing at me
>>
>>60491097
see >>60490862
association can be a hard thing to shake but you have to listen to the subtle details in that album to distinguish it from the other shit
>>
File: 665959595.png (622 KB, 785x692) Image search: [Google]
665959595.png
622 KB, 785x692
>>60491117
>>
THE LOVE THAT LOVES THE LOVE THAT LOVES THE LOVE THAT LOVES TO LOVE THE LOVE THAT LOVES
>>
if you can't just read the lyrics to the title track while laying on your back and feel like everything will be alright when you die, i'm sorry
>>
>>60491344
I listen to the title track to calm down when I start getting overly anxious
>>
>>60490723
or has a dad in his 50's
>>
>>60491511
Yeah, I didn't get into this to score chicks with Herschel backpacks, I grew up listening to this shit
>>
File: sDZennI.png (273 KB, 1167x879) Image search: [Google]
sDZennI.png
273 KB, 1167x879
>tfw you listen to Sweet Thing and imagine reconnecting with your ex after many years and living out the rest of your lives together.
>>
>>60490723
>Literally considered one of the greatest albums ever recorded across the board.
>2deep4u college kids

Go listen to some pretentious crap like Faust you cunt
>>
IF I VENTURED IN THE SLIPSTREAM
>>
>>60491719
BETWEEN THE VIADUCTS OF YOUR DREAM
>>
>>60490723
Some of us are older than that.

>>60490609
Thanks for inspiring tonight's listen, OP, despite your drowning in all faggotry. I hope 4chan helps you get it. Otherwise do the drop acid or read James Joyce thang
>>
Astral Weeks, insofar as it can be pinned down, is a record about people stunned by life, completely overwhelmed, stalled in their skins, their ages and selves, paralyzed by the enormity of what in one moment of vision they can comprehend. It is a precious and terrible gift, born of a terrible truth, because what they see is both infinitely beautiful and terminally horrifying: the unlimited human ability to create or destroy, according to whim. It's no Eastern mystic or psychedelic vision of the emerald beyond, nor is it some Baudelairean perception of the beauty of sleaze and grotesquerie. Maybe what it boiled down to is one moment's knowledge of the miracle of life, with its inevitable concomitant, a vertiginous glimpse of the capacity to be hurt, and the capacity to inflict that hurt.

Transfixed between pure rapture and anguish. Wondering if they may not be the same thing, or at least possessed of an intimate relationship. In "T.B. Sheets", his last extended narrative before making this record, Van Morrison watched a girl he loved die of tuberculosis. the song was claustrophobic, suffocating, mostrously powerful: "innuendos, inadequacies, foreign bodies." A lot of people couldn't take it; the editor of this book has said that it's garbage, but I think it made him squeamish. Anyway, the point is that certain parts of Astral Weeks - "Madame George," "Cyprus Avenue" - take the pain in "T.B. Sheets" and root the world in it. Because the pain of watching a loved one die of however dread a disease may be awful, but it is at least something known, in a way understood, in a way measureable and even leading somewhere, because there is a process: sickness, decay, death, mourning, some emotional recovery. But the beautiful horror of "Madame George" and "Cyprus Avenue" is precisely that the people in these songs are not dying: we are looking at life, in its fullest, and what these people are suffering from is not disease but nature, unless nature is a disease.
>>
>plebs pretending hair folk is good
>>
>>60491679
Astral Weeks is overrated mediocrity. Noone talked about it being transcendental (let alone very good) at its release until Lester Bangs said so.
>>
>>60490695
I did that when I was 16 come on now
>>
>>60491983
Well if Lester Bangs says so then it is confirmed transamdental
>>
Yeah, I've never understood the fanatic love people have for AW. I have no problem with long-winded, stream-of-consciousness music, but it's a bit bland.
>>
>>60490609
It's okay anon, you were just born without taste. I hate you just the same, no worries.
>>
>>60493238
>bland
Wow, when I thought this board couldn't get much worse
>>
it's shit
>>
>>60490609
you just haven't listened to it enough times yet. it took a while for me too

>>60491947
beautiful anon
>>
>>60490609
it's really a bit overrated. his best albums are:

tupelo honey, saint dominic's preview & into the music.
>>
>>60495780
Offensive post honestly.
>>
>>60491628
Sweet Thing should be considered as one the greatest pop song of all time. That's how good.

Lyrical clinic too.
>>
>>60495829
how so?
>>
>>60490769
EVERYONE who sells weed in my area sells acid, like everyone else has said, for like 10 a pop. You have revealed your own social retardation to an amazing degree.
>>
I know that dde is trolling, but I've legit just been given acid before when my dealer is like a G short. Do more drugs hombre
>>
how the fuck can you people think Astral Weeks is a bad album

give me some reasons why its bad
>>
>>60497943
it's not bad, but it's certainly unfocused, meandering & long-winded at times. van made much better albums imo.
>>
>>60499169
>unfocused, meandering & long-winded at times.
do you just not like freeform folk music
because I fucking love the free flow of it
>>
>>60499190
perhaps, i prefer more structured song-based music that's true.
>>
Are there any other albums as freeform and beautiful as Astral Weeks?
Everything other Van Morrison did afterwards just pales in comparision.
>>
>>60500055
I mean this might get some some flack but I feel like Ys is the only other album I've heard that really captured the feel of Astral Weeks. Joanna even improves on it a bit IMO.
>>
>>60491628
Oh god, the first time I liked Sweet Thing I liked it as a stand alone song and listened to it with my ex a bit. Now when I listen to it I get that wistful nostalgia only this and a few other albums give me.

If you don't get this read Lester Bangs review: https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

I think it's in my top 5 or 3 albums and gets better the more I listen. I really didn't get it for a while but after falling in love and breaking up a few times with different people it just hits so much harder. I genuinely think it gets better the more life experience you have and I get moved to tears at least once when I listen to it. Van was a cunt during the recording process and everything else apart from the vox and guitar was recorded after he left the studio which makes it even more mind-blowing that it sounds so well put together.
>>
"Astral Weeks, insofar as it can be pinned down, is a record about people stunned by life, completely overwhelmed, stalled in their skins, their ages and selves, paralyzed by the enormity of what in one moment of vision they can comprehend. It is a precious and terrible gift, born of a terrible truth, because what they see is both infinitely beautiful and terminally horrifying: the unlimited human ability to create or destroy, according to whim. It's no Eastern mystic or psychedelic vision of the emerald beyond, nor is it some Baudelairean perception of the beauty of sleaze and grotesquerie. Maybe what it boiled down to is one moment's knowledge of the miracle of life, with its inevitable concomitant, a vertiginous glimpse of the capacity to be hurt, and the capacity to inflict that hurt."
>>
The Way Young Lovers Do is the underrated track

I remember really being touched by this album when I was heartbroken, so maybe try it when your feeling sad and emotional
>>
>>60499169
You're not listening hard enough. It's almost too short.
>>
>>60501292
>You're not listening hard enough.

fuck right off mate, i've been listening to van morrison for over a decade.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.