[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does it mean when an album/song "doesn't/does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: wes scantlin laughing.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
wes scantlin laughing.gif
2 MB, 320x240
what does it mean when an album/song "doesn't/does age well"
can you guys explain that to a pleb like me?
>>
>>60479961
Best example I can give you is lil wayne's carter 3
critically acclaimed by all at the time of release
but now? Nobody would dare to ever sit thru the piece of shit album
>>
if it didnt age well that means it sounds outdated. sounds from the past that sound out of place in present day.

this aged well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MBGwzEhMc
this didnt age well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMrzt6W8V8
>>
>>60479961
"It's old and I don't like it"
>>
Usually it means that the song had a sound that was very specific to that time

I don't know of a musical example, except maybe stuff like disco

Dadrock continues to be popular because modern rock and metal are in many ways still very similar and it continues to be revitalized through new music.

Disco, even though it's sort of the foundation for edm and dubstep and all that stuff, is very rarely listened to or played by people who weren't directly influenced by it because it just doesn't really "fit" any more. The sound was specific to when it was popular. EDM and whatnot build off of it, but don't sound like it and you wouldn't suggest to somebody who loves EDM that they check out disco.
>>
Contains distinct traces of dead trends and obsolete technology.
That being said, music that doesn't age well was always shit from the very start.
>>
Does age well: Public Enemy
Doesn't age well: NWA
>>
>>60479961
MBDTF has aged terribly jus sayin
>>
>>60480086
This basically.
>>
>>60479961
All music is ephemeral, only silence is eternal
>>
>>60480246
>dead trends and obsolete technology
Pretty much. I usually disagree when people say a release hasn't aged well just because it's out of fashion, like I still like grunge and old prog rock, but to each their own.

A funny thing is how some works which "should" have aged terribly if they were pieces of technology — meaning that other artists have apparently achieved similar effects more effectively — end up being perceived differently instead of becoming outdated. Like dance music from the 50s — we still know what it sounds like, it's not completely dead and buried, but now it's used to evoke the 50s and not really as dance music because it seems to lack energy compared to more recent dance tracks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.