[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently got into The Microphones via you guys, and I have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: phil.jpg (53 KB, 570x378) Image search: [Google]
phil.jpg
53 KB, 570x378
Recently got into The Microphones via you guys, and I have to say it's amazing. The Glow pt. 2 and Mount Eerie are probably both in my top 5 record of all time at this point.

But Phil's released so much over the years, for example, where to even start with Mount Eerie? Been listening a bit to Lost Wisdom, and It's pretty good, but it doesn't feel like a starting point.

Phil thread?
>>
The title track of The Glow Pt. 2 kills me everytime. The segue from the first track to it is fucking crushing
>>
File: ingreen.jpg (1 MB, 1916x1736) Image search: [Google]
ingreen.jpg
1 MB, 1916x1736
>>60469039

Literally same.

I just started listening to them today from their first album to their last. I give their discography a 9/10, The Glow Pt. 2 being my favorite album.

Right now I'm on Phil's solo project Mount Eerie and on his album Dawn.
Which is stealing 2nd favorite of all his works.
>>
IV. Mt. Eerie on the Mount Eerie album is probably my favourite piece of music ever. The narrative of the whole album is really damn whimsical and bittersweet. That final freak-folky section after Phil's confrontation with death atop the mountain as the pack of vultures that have been following him finally eat him.

>The way they tear
>(the flesh we tear, so innocent of memory)
>They feast
>We invite each bite into our flight
>Since we give our blood now into you
>And feathers from skin begin

>The way they share
>The memory you did wear
>And now your song
>...
>Is inside them

Might be gushing over something very particular, but that was a life changing moment in music for me.
>>
Still haven't heard an inch of his solo stuff. I'll get to it soon I swear
>>
>>60469409
The whole album is just too good, like, I'm literally in awe from the moment the first vocals start and until the end of the last choral bit. "Big black cloud will come" and the death part is so fitting and emotional.

10/10 album for sure.
>>
File: phil-elverum.jpg (357 KB, 800x427) Image search: [Google]
phil-elverum.jpg
357 KB, 800x427
Mount Eerie has a wider variety of work from The Microphones.

It's easiest to just start chronologically, however if you have any preferred genre's, Phil might have experimented in them. His most dominant albums as Mount Eerie are Winds Poem, Dawn, No Flashlight, Clear Moon, Ocean Roar, and Sauna.

Winds Poem is my favorite Mount Eerie album, and it has a very Black Metal oriented influence, however most of the tracks are actually quite tranquil and beautiful.

Dawn is a beautiful comfy album. Written and recorded in a isolated cabin in Norway, Dawn deals with solitude, and winter themes. All acoustic, it is really nice.

No Flashlight is one of the first albums released as Mount Eerie, and is pretty good and worth listening to if you've enjoyed his stuff as The Microphones.

Clear Moon and Ocean Roar were released in the same year and go hand in hand. Ocean Roar is a calming and peaceful album. It also has my favorite song Phil has done, Through the Trees pt.2. While Ocean Roar is much more dark and aggressive, but is also pretty good.

Finally, Sauna is Phil's newest album, came out this year. While it is pretty good, it is one of my least favorite from Phil. Around 50% of the album is some nice soft drone, which is actually done really well. However it's biggest downfall is that most of the songs seem incomplete and half done. Still worth a listen.
>>
i tried to get into the glow pt 2 a few days ago, and i wasnt feeling it. however, i can definitely see why people praise it so much here. i loved "ill not contain you" the most
>>
There's no real definite order to go with Phil's work. Chronologically is generally the best, but there's good reasons to just check out whatever seems cool. As long as you've listened to TGp2 and Mount Eerie (i'd add in It Was Hot as well) you'll be fine.

>>60469641 is pretty right on the money in many ways. His favorite is Winds Poem, but mine is No Flashlight because I love how soft and intimate it is. Sauna is my second favorite because the drone is super comfy laying in bed in the winter with the room cold under a heavy load of blankets.

Just check out whatever you want. You've already listened to the essentials. And btw, congrats on becoming a philposter.
>>
Has anyone else listened to the No Flashlight re-issue? What did you think?

I couldn't pin down any real differences between it and the original recordings, but I may be a scrub.
>>
>>60470216
The howling at the beginning of The Moan sounded a bit different than the original, but like you said I can't really find that many more differences
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.