[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't anybody on /mu/ like jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 420x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 420x431
Why doesn't anybody on /mu/ like jazz?
>>
>>60468900
I do I love Charles Mingus.
>>
I do but I feel uneducated in the genre so I'm relistening to a bunch of records
>>
Because it's a deprecated genre of shit tones and wank
>>
Why doesn't anybody on /mu/ like country besides Cash, Townes, Hank and Robbins?
>>
>>60468900
I love jazz
I'm just that idiot that prefers fusion
>>
>>60468953
Basically this
After my month of EAI in November, I'm doing a December month of jazz, so I can get some more knowledge within the genre

:)
>>
>free jazz is the best jazz
>>
>>60469007
Because there are so few good country artists outside of them.
>>
>>60469108
What about Luke Bryan , Florida Georgia line, and Jason Aldean?
>>
>>60469007
Majority of country is shit though. Majority of Jazz is some of the most talented music
>>
>>60469116
Well that's a "few". Besides I see several threads about Aldean every day.
>>
>>60469104
>I like my jazz watered down and radio friendly
>>
>>60469175
>anything that's not free jazz must be watered down and radio friendly

How's highschool anon?
>>
>>60469108
>The Carter Family
>Bill Monroe
>Bob Wills
>Chet Atkins
>Merle Haggard
>Willie Nelson
>Waylon Jennings
>Kris Kristofferson
>Jimmie Rodgers
>Bobby Bare
>Guy Clark
>Steve Earle
>Gram Parsons
>Blaze Foley
>Emmylou Harris
>Eddie Noack
>Frankie Laine (I don't like him but I don't like Robbins either and their styles are noticeably similar)
>John Prine
>Billy Joe Shaver
>Shel Silverstein
>Merle Travis
Sounds like you haven't actually tried country music out.
>>
>>60469175
Calling all jazz that isn't primary improvised is grossly misinformed and ignorant. I would not be half surprised if you knew any jazz to begin with.
>>
>>60469218
Only 4 of those are good
>>
>>60469241
I highly doubt you've actually listened to any of them. If you did you would've posted the four in your comment.
>>
>>60469218
>all singers
lol
>>
>>60469175
You can have great jazz without it being free or avant, dude
>>
>>60469262
>Bob Wills
>singer
Troll just a little harder next time.
>>
>>60469175
Free jazz is good. Swing is good. Bebop, hard bop, post bop are good. Big band is good. There's a lot of genres in jazz that are worth while other than just free jazz
>>
>>60469007
nelson is great
husky is great country pop
rogers has his fantastic moments
merle haggard is great

people like cash because he's the fucking GOAT

>>60468900
people who would be getting into the genre would probaly be coming in onroute through the Epic and considering jazz fans on /mu/ have a stick up their ass about that great album everyone who could be a possible jazz fan asks for recs and gets shit on

also the best way to experience jazz is to go listen to it get performed and talk to other jazz fans at the bar instead of shitposting on /mu/
>>
>>60469289
Wow. 1 out of the 25 country artists mentioned so far isn't a singer. You sure showed me.
>>
I do, but jazz is filled with elitist shitters so I just dig in alone.
>>
Aren't Mingus / Coltrane / Davis really popular here?
>>
>>60469348
Obviously, even people who don't like jazz ejac hard over those three

>>60469339
This desu
>>
>>60469312
Cash wrote a considerably small portion of his discography and the majority of his releases are lackluster. His great moments are great but he has far too many low spots in his career to be GOAT.
>>60469330
It's a pretty glaring error, he's one of the most historically significant country artists. Country is a lyrics/vocally driven genre anyway, criticizing it's greater artists for being mainly singers is like criticizing blues and singer-songwriters for the same feature.
>>
>>60469330
that's like asking a rap fan to ask his favorie hip-hop artists and then saying
>all rappers
when he gives you a list like Nas, ghostface, Pac, Big, 3 stacks
>>
Jazz on this board has the most elitists. If someone asks you who your favorite jazz musicians are and you say stuff like Mingus and Davis and Coltrane they'll be like "lol wow do you even listen to jazz at all" as if widespread acclaim is bad. They complain about how dead the jazz threads are, but then attack everyone who isn't as knowledgable about it as they are
>>
>>60469394
>Country is a lyrics/vocally driven genre

Now you're starting to understand my point about why it's an inferior and limited genre.
>>
>>60469394
>His great moments are great but he has far too many low spots in his career
that's basically every country artist. Name one country artist that is consistent.
>>
>>60469419
The thing is Jazz is not like other genres, the cream of the crop did rise and became popular.
>>
>>60469419
I'm not elitist at all. I just hate faggy posers who express very little genuine interest in something I like a lot.
>>
>>60469446
I'd sincerely state most of the ones I listed are more consistent than Cash. There's almost nothing from the mid 70s up until the American Recordings series worth listening to.
>>60469440
Bluegrass, which I admittedly haven't explored is very much instrumentally based. I'll say it again, you haven't explored Country enough.

Besides, a genre being lyrically based is not detrimental to the quality of the pieces it produces.
>>
I do, but I really know about entry level fusion stuff like Hancock and 70's Miles.
>>
>>60469419
Nobody says that except to people who go around making stupid claims when they've actually listened to only a couple albums by those artists. Posters who are eager to learn and don't act like idiots are always treated with kindness by so-called jazz "elitists"
>>
File: KGTwitpic_400x400.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
KGTwitpic_400x400.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
>>60469479
k
>>
>>60469514
*really only know about
>>
>>60469520
That's not jazz faggot, that's instrumental pop.
>>
File: 51UVX5HKIiL.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51UVX5HKIiL.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
I listened to Kind of Blue a couple of times and it was pretty good then I think.

I should actually listen to more jazz, but more in the swing/big band style.
>>
>>60469499
>>60469440
>Besides, a genre being lyrically based is not detrimental to the quality of the pieces it produces.

this

>>60469499
>I'd sincerely state most of the ones I listed are more consistent than Cash. There's almost nothing from the mid 70s up until the American Recordings series worth listening to.

Okay, but his 60s releases are what make him contender for GOAT. I'm not going to say that Pink Floyd isn't fantastic because they released the endless river and division bell when they have PATGOD, WYWH, and animals under their belt
>>
>>60469419
This. Jazzheads combine the redditphoria of /classical/, the autism of /jazz/, the obnoxious gorilla behavior of /hhg/, the homosexuality of /noise/, and more to make their own slice of hell on Earth.

Seriously, jazz and its fans are cancerous.
>>
>>60469419
that's just because out of the thousands of musicians, Miles and Coltrane are the ones that get recommended in every single jazz thread to ever exist on /mu/. People just want to let people know other musicians exist also.
>>
>>60469564
Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about Cash.
>>
>>60469568
/noise/ is the only chill general in here
>>
>>60469499
Besides, a genre being lyrically based is not *necessarily* detrimental to the quality of the pieces it produces.

FTFY. A genres focus on lyrics will greatly limit the possibilities of the genre.
>>
>>60469537
Calling jazz 'pop' is completely pointless. Jazz started as pop and can basically take any form.
>>
>>60469262
Chet Atkins is a guitarist you memer. One of the best at that too

>>60469419
This. People also ignore you if your ask for recs or show interest in the thread. I've actually met Jazz fans in real life who don't consider Jobim Jazz too.
>>
>>60469615
No, the way I wrote it originally was quite fine, thank you very much. If a work is good, it's good, regardless of the components of the work.

I've already given you a very large subgenre of country which is not focused on lyrics. On top of that, I've completely forgotten that Nelson primarily practices jazz guitar when he plays these days.
>>
>>60469419
lol I bet you came in a jazz thread posting some bullshit and somebody called you out on it one time. The jazz posters are chill as fuck unless you come in the threads and act like an idiot.
>>
>>60469669
>bluegrass is a subgenre of country

lol
>>
>>60469705
If you're going to be pedantic Jimmie Rodgers was never called country in his day either. Bill Monroe, the accepted creator of the genre, considered Bluegrass country music. The only possible reason it wouldn't be is because country as a term only replaced hillbilly in the 50s, which bluegrass originally fell under.
>>
>>60469643
>People also ignore you if your ask for recs

Let me guess... You asked for recs based on a video game or anime soundtrack?
>>
>>60469557
Listen to Duke Ellington, you'd probably enjoy him
>>
>>60469885
I've asked for things similar to Andrzej Trzaskowski, Max Roach, George Benson and Mingus and was ignored everytime.
>>
>>60469007
country is a hyper-commercialized genre meant to appeal to young girls who crave daddy dick
>>
>>60470051
Every country artist posted in this thread is proof otherwise.
>>
>>60470072
No its not
>>
>>60470027
It's 4chan nigga. Stuff gets ignored all the time. Especially in jazz threads with only 6 posters who only check the thread every hour or so. Would you like recs now?
>>
>>60470094
The burden of proof is on you then. Explain how the music of The Carter Family (a group that became famous partially for their religious recordings) fits the description of
>a hyper-commercialized genre meant to appeal to young girls who crave daddy dick
>>
>>60470027
I'm sorry, I was too busy ignoring you to read your post.
>>
>>60470124
lol dude dont get so mad its just a shitty music genre

calm down retard
>>
>>60470105
Sure. Add Horace Silver in there too, been enjoying him recently.

>>60470149
epic
>>
>>60470165
Ok well which of those people's albums specifically? They all have a lot of different stuff.
>>
>>60470164
I'm not getting mad, I'm just asking you to actually give a reason for your viewpoint. You can't call something shitty if you've never actually tried it.
>>
>>60470236
lol i grew up in Nashville faggot

trust me i know plenty about this fag ass genre
>>
>>60470254
Then explain to me how music of The Carter Family (or Atkins, Foley, Rodgers, etc) fits the description you gave it. Burden of proof is still on you. If you know plenty about this genre it should be easy to point out.
>>
>>60470184
>Horace Silver - In Pursuit of the 27th Man
>Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music, The Clown, Blues & Roots
>Max Roach - It's Time
>George Benson - Breezin, In Flight
>Andrzej Trzaskowski - Seant
>>
>>60470293
lol retard lil baby girl want daddies dick lol
>>
>>60468900
Those of us who really like listening to and talking about jazz have begun regular threads on Mondays to do a blindfold test game. Some people who have obviously never opened one of the threads seem to think they are elitist but there's very little elitism as the whole point of the thread is to all post our thoughts about the same tracks and then talk about why we agree or disagree about them. The guy who runs it is very welcoming towards everybody regardless of how much jazz they've heard before.
>>
>>60470325
Oh I'll twine with my mingles and waving black hair
With the roses so red and the lilies so fair
And the myrtles so bright with the emerald dew
The pale and the leader and eyes look like blue

I will dance I will sing and my laugh shall be gay
I will charm every heart in her crown I will sway
When I woke from my dreaming my idols were clay
All portions of love had all blown away

Oh she taught me to leave her and promised to love
And to cherish me over all others above
How my heart is now wondering no misery can tell
She left me no warning no words of farewell

Yes she taught me to love her and call me her flower
That was blooming to cheer her through life's dreary hour
Oh I long to see her and regret the dark hour
She's gone and neglected her pale wildwood flower

Don't see any of those terms in this song, oddly enough.
>>
>jazz thread
>everyone bitching about country
Never change /mu/
>>
>>60470310

>Horace Silver - In Pursuit of the 27th Man
Snakefoot by Alphonse Mouzon
>Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music, The Clown, Blues & Roots
Andrew Hill- Passing Ships
>Max Roach - It's Time
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective
>George Benson - Breezin, In Flight
I don't know. You might like Pat Metheny
>Andrzej Trzaskowski - Seant
Second Miles Davis Quintet
>>
>>60470497
>I don't know. You might like Pat Metheny
I actually love Pat Metheny. Thanks for the recs man
>>
Is there a gypsy jazz chart? I know that Django and Oscare Aleman are the big names of the genre but nothing more than that.
>>60470395
Eh, both sides seem to have been actually trying to talk about music which is better than most of /mu/.
>>
>>60470639
Stephane Grappelli.
>>
>>60470639
Django is all you really need, just listen to more of him.
>>
File: CreatureCover.jpg (118 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
CreatureCover.jpg
118 KB, 500x437
>>
Peter Brotzmann is cool.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.