[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What draws nerds and neckbeards to metal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 8
File: evv.png (49 KB, 439x438) Image search: [Google]
evv.png
49 KB, 439x438
What draws nerds and neckbeards to metal?
>>
A sense of family and being. I saw slipknot with a friend of mine, because he's a metal fan, and during the show there was a lot of "we're a big crazy family, you fuckers are crazy and I love it, ect"
>>
>>60461036
It's a group where outsiders can identify with eachother.
>>
Same one that draws hipsters to indie folk and emo

They want to listen to something that everyone doesn't
>>
>>60461229
So what draws someone to being a hipster over being a neckbeard or vice-versa?
>>
>>60461259

social awareness
>>
>>60461036
ebin

but >>60461189 got it pretty right, i mean look at thrash metal fans, and then at BM fans etc
>>
metal is basically the anthem of power fantasies
>>
normies don't like metal so it creates a nice safe space
>>
>>60461189
>>60461221
>>60461229
Thought out and somewhat respectful comments on /mu/?
>>
>>60461189
ec tetera
>>
>>60461036
Metal is really nerdy, they sing about like dragons and shit you know what I'm saying. These are the same nerds who would be listening to prog rock if this was the 50s and shit.
>>
>>60461587

you mean the 70s.

and they do listen to prog rock, especially prog metal. Prog anything and they're all over it.
>>
Neckbeards like music.
>>
File: 1436115045736.png (54 KB, 749x434) Image search: [Google]
1436115045736.png
54 KB, 749x434
it literally comes down to being relatable to them, i mean look at the average asperges social retard, they dont know how to act and their peers reject them, metal is all angry stuff about fighting and killing and muh goverment, its emotions that they can relate to because theyre angsty and annoyed girls dont like them
>yfw you have a friend called jamie who listens to ''melodic death metal and slipknot'' and has autism
>>
you literally can't be male if you don't understand
>>
i hate metal fans
>>
>>60461857
Yeah they are scary and loud, I prefer plastic fans.

Maybe it's just the sense of empowerment. Metal is so intense and usually pretty angry, the music or the lyrics, and that probably makes a lot of people (nerds and neck beards according to the internet) feel cool? Safe? Interested? In my opinion it goes along the lines of most music.. Most normies listening to pop on the radio just want to get fucked up and have sex, most people listening to country music feel like they go hunting and do country shit, most people who listen to metal just want to feel angry safely I guess.. Making angry music is better than making angry acts towards others. Maybe the Middle East needs more metal.
>>
>>60461857

brilliant, metal would be perfect for you
>>
>>60461036
the "edginess" of it. Most people assume metal is super dark (which to be fair, it is) and they just stay away from it. Otherwise its pretty appealing to a lot of people, but the neckbeard demo scares the rest away so it appears only neckbeards like it.
Also the visceral qualities of the music (thrash) are more attractive to aspies and spaz
>>
why does mu draw underagers
>>
>>60462314
People who are in their last year of college or already out in the working world have no remaining patience for putting up with the stupid shit you see on here. Places like this are only appealing to those with tons of free time and nothing worthwhile to do with it.

At least we're not /v/ or /r9k/.
>>
>>60462378
actually when you get a real job you realize how much free time you actually have. then you spend your time hiding your computer screen from your boss.
>>
>>60462415
Not on sites where someone posting some dragon-girl translesbo hentai might be lurking around every corner.

It's totally true for places like reddit though.
>>
>>60461189
>>60461221
>>60461229
That's great and all, but that only explains the social/image aspect. What about just being drawn to the music itself?
>>
>>60462056
haha durka durka jihad xD
>>
21 replies and most of you are fucking retarded.

It's pretty obvious what draws them to the metal. Metal tends to deal with the darker side of human emotion which are more relatable for secluded, introverted, lonely or depressed people.

Yes, it's literally that simple.
>>
>>60461618
sup jamie
>>
>>60461857
As someone who doesn't associate with any musical subculture because I find the idea to be pretty fucking stupid in the first place, I'd much rather spend my time with a bunch of metalheads. You go to most metal festivals and despite the intimidating getups and shit they're really chill, friendly and down to earth people. Meanwhile you go to some electro-pop dance rave gig and you are guaranteed, fucking GUARANTEED to spot a bunch of wasted as fuck, drugged out knuckleheads strting fights and drama n shit.
>>
>>60462474
It's angry music. Outcasts are usually angry people.
>>
>>60462643
Go to any /mu/pitchfork/core concert and you're guaranteed plastic fans too scared to dance and too cool to talk to anyone else.
>>
>>60461587
>prog rock
>50s
wot
>>
>>60462501
meme all you want, but there's a reason that one of the most backwards and angry parts of the world has almost no music? and it would probably help
>>
>>60462785
The middle east genuinely needs violent, militant anti-theists.
>>
>>60461036

Easy adrenaline.
>>
>>60462643
>>60462723
true posts also metalheads who go to metal shows are some of the coolest people i've ever met. haven't been to any other genre show where people actually wanted to talk and seemed really interested and super fucking glad to be at a show.
>>
>>60462825
>metal heads
>violent militants
lol. the middle east already has as many brown violent militant anti-theists as it needs.
>>
heavy music attracts heavy people if you catch my drift
>>
test
>>
File: 1411165912962.jpg (24 KB, 339x372) Image search: [Google]
1411165912962.jpg
24 KB, 339x372
>>60462928
>sandniggers
>anti-theists
>>
>>60461036
1 edgy, obscure themes
2 fast excuse for a personality
3 le sekrit club
>>
>>60463044
religion is a pretty good excuse to kill people anon. I shouldn't have to explain this to anyone
>>
>>60461397
/thread
>>
>>60463055
Your entire post was nothing but buzzwords except for #2 which made absolutely no sense.

You know this shithole has rotten away the little bit of brain matter your mother queefed you out with when you're completely incapable of communicating in a coherent manner without spewing buzzwords that you don't understand.
>>
>>60461618
Wouldn't this make them listen to punk instead, though?
>>
>>60463073
>small group of people in a religion are radicals
>therefore everyone of that religion wants to kill you and your family and everything you love so you should be afraid and buy war bonds and only trust us because we're the only ones speaking the truth

Nice viral marketing army.
>>
>>60463105
It's b8 dude, don't waste your time on it.
>>
>>60463073
Explain to me how killing in the name of your own god makes you anti-theistic.
>>
>>60463177
>small group
Go back to tumblr. It is widely known that a very high % of muslims advocate violence.
>>
File: 1446153249845.jpg (13 KB, 190x160) Image search: [Google]
1446153249845.jpg
13 KB, 190x160
Metal completely wallows in;
>male power fantasies
>infantile or extremely dated impressions of what's "cool"
>autistic friendly focus on technique over abstraction
>easily grasped lyrics and themes that are "heavy" without being complicated and too deep
>horrible fashion that panders to people without taste
>>
>>60463105
fair point let me rephrase that

1 esoteric stuff, fantasy, history, violence blah blah

2 if you are part of a certain "subculture" you don't have to question a lot of things, it's all set for you, you can accept it or not but it's there

3 linked to point 2, you kinda feel like you're part of a larger group

>>60463194
I'm not fucking baiting, OP asked why nerds and neckbeards are attracted to metal and here's what I think about it
>>
>>60463205
The guy clearly doesn't know what the word means. Don't waste your time replying to retarded people.
>>
>>60462505
This, obviously
>>
File: Anmc5PT.jpg (326 KB, 1292x1440) Image search: [Google]
Anmc5PT.jpg
326 KB, 1292x1440
>>60463280
>>horrible fashion that panders to people without taste
Apparently, pic related is considered highly fashionable. And it looks metal as fuck.

>>60463289
>I'm not fucking baiting
I don't believe you. There's no way a post of that quality isn't bait.
>>
mostly it scares normies away, and they don't have anything else to distract them, like a social life (not a stab, some people just don't have the ability), so they have to attach to something or they would just wither into depression. and metal is kind of the most exciting type of music one can listen to. it's loud, it has exaggerated groovy rhythms, maybe pretty edgy lyrics which scare people but those who aren't immediately frightened away realize it's all in good fun (95% of the time), it just sounds like being able to go crazy in a way people aren't normally allowed to go crazy. it's just really easy for metal to hit you in the sweet spot because it's so bombastic. it's essentially freddie mercury dancing around in a crown and a wife beater, "fuck it, i'll be as eccentric as i want to be, i can get away with it among like minded individuals. of course people take it too far and give themselves more credit for listening to metal than they deserve, but people do that with everything.
>>
>>60463437
desu my post is a good summary
>>
>>60463518
Actually you're wrong.
>>60462505
>>
>>60462643
Entirely true.

Metalhead friends are all decent people and have fun at their concerts. "Trendy" music people are really just there to be seen by others and post shit on their phone.
>>
>>60463555
>there's only one answer

fuck off
>>
>>60463634
It certainly makes more sense than your shitty one.
>>
>>60463555
I don't see that the two posts are mutually exclusive
>>
>>60463257
>It is widely known that a very high % of muslims advocate violence
>most likely doesn't know any Muslims or have ever spoke to one

How do you live with yourself knowing you're that ignorant? Anyone who watches a 24 hour news network has that opinion.

But we're already in 6 wars so why won't start another one? Fuck it. Let's just continue killing ourselves for the sake of I'm right you're wrong and if you don't believe me or mock me I'll kill you making myself just as out to be just as bad as the enemy because that's make sense to me

-Americans
>>
>>60463652
well I'm not him but just fuck off, his response makes a lot of sense, why are you so butthurt?
>>
>>60463663
>-Americans
Written around the time the Shaira deathsquads are patroling your streets teaching the native population of your country how to live their lives by the rules of a bunch of people from the other side of the continent, and while your goverments are taking away the last guns you have to defend yourself with.
>>
>>60463700
Because they're based mainly on misconceptions of individuals that think they understand a massive group of people on a psychological level despite having no interactions with any of the said people.
>>
What draws hipsters and wiggers to hip hop?
>>
>>60463663
To be fair supporting assad in syria is the best thing the west can do ATM, they shouldn't have messed with it in the first place though.
>>
>>60463519
>all that shit about trying to belong to a group
>all that superficial shit
Are you projecting? Why are you completely dehumanizing these people, trying to say they're just interested in something because of how it will be externally perceived?

Have you considered that they listen to metal because it makes them feel good? Either you lack basic empathy or your post is bait.
>>
>>60463753
post-irony
>>
>>60463726
I honestly believe you're talking about yourself more than the posts you're deriding. The same thing could easily be said for the post you're defending? Again, I don't see the two posts as mutually exclusive and more so I think they say the same things with natural differences of emphasis which are to be expected from answers from different people.
>>
>>60463753
neo-liberal brainwashing
>>
>>60463177
So are you agreeing with me or what, you pretty much explained my post for those with less intelligence and mindful thinking.

>>60463205
I could kill in the name of their god too, if that's what I wanted to say. But money rape and killin would be my real god
>>
>>60463663
Before you make assumptions, know that I have 1 very close muslim friends and 2 others that are reasonably close, all of which are moderate of course.

I don't know what the rest of your post is about. I just wanted to point out the fact that a large % of muslims advocate extremist violence. It's not a "small group" of them. It's a fucking shit ton, literally 100s of millions, that enable the likes of ISIS.
>>
>>60463753
White guilt.
>>
>>60463765
number 1 is pretty clearly about how they feel, as everything else I've written.

OP asked why nerds and neckbeards listen to it, it's fair to assume that those people don't have a very active social life and being interested in the social aspect of music is natural. And yes I've been there and pretty much every metal neckbeard I've ever met liked it ALSO because of that social aspect, and the dark lyrical/musical themes.

Why do they like the dark lyrical themes? See >>60462505

Why do they like the direct/dark musical themes? See >>60463518
>>
>>60461618
this tb h, everyone who I've known who's a metalhead is an edgy antisocial aspie fuck
>>
>>60463884
>>60463792
>durr they like the dark and edgy stuff because it scares the REEE NORMIES REE AWAY
Either you're a complete idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, or you have absolutely terrible communication skills and have no idea how to get your thoughts across in a manner than can be clearly understood by other people instead of saying things you don't actually mean to say. I have a very close friend who has a case of the second so I'm just going to assume that. In either case, please stop posting, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>60463976
>durr they like the dark and edgy stuff because it scares the REEE NORMIES REE AWAY

I literally never said that, if anything I focused on the "anyone please don't go away" bit, you're just too fucking stubborn to admit you're wrong
>>
i just enjoy it
>>
File: 5176196.jpg (209 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
5176196.jpg
209 KB, 682x600
>metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uvf0cn0jo
>>
>>60463976
again, you seem to be the one with a problem here. you're putting too much emphasis on "scaring normies away". all it means is "normal people" that is people who aren't neckbeards, will not be immediately attracted to metal, so it's a safe haven for like minded individuals. no one ever said it was the only cause or a main one, it's just a part of the whole. i don't see what is so hard to grasp about that.
>>
>>60464026

>why do [they] listen to metal?
>>60463518
>mostly it scares normies away

Just stop. For fuck sakes. Think over what you say before you say it. Jesus Christ I am definitely convinced it was the latter case that I was suspecting initially and you can't imagine how frustrating it is dealing with that kind of shit.
>>
>>60464091
have you read the rest of the post? The "normies are scared away" could be deleted and the whole meaning of that post wouldn't change a single bit, it's just an admittedly poor opening sentence
>>
>>60464173
The rest of the post still focuses mainly on how outside communities view the people we're discussing, which leads back to
>>60463765
>>
>>60464091
okay you're right, i did say mostly. I meant a sizable chunk. i had no idea someone would be so upset and hellbent on refuting this idea and would take such a hard stance on defining nuance. whether or not i have had inconsistencies in my posts you are incredibly mad over a point you can't defend other than insulting the people you are arguing with.
>>
File: 1346193104984.jpg (74 KB, 708x787) Image search: [Google]
1346193104984.jpg
74 KB, 708x787
>>60464057

>david mitchell
>>
>>60464213
Do you really think that wanting to belong to a group for a very socially awkward person is a superficial matter? I really don't think so, it's a pretty big deal actually
>>
I genuinely just enjoy metal. It moves me, makes me want to party, weep or think. Granted, metal can be edgy, cheesy or ridiculous, but that is something you learn to either ignore, deal with or even appreciate at times.

A lot of the assumptions ITT are disappointing. Sure, without a doubt, some fans are probably in it for the sake of rebellion, fitting in with a crowd or exploring their own identity. But should you really hate on how a person develops themselves and explores the musical and stylistic possibilities in life? Everyone grows in a different way and being into edgy metal might just be one part of it.
>>
>>60464213
it doesn't dehumanize people to give reasons as to why they might take to something. are you so much of a special flower that you think your likes and dislikes are 100% based on the individual's "taste" and not countless outside factors they have little control over?
"Just liking" something is massive oversimplification and wouldn't answer op's question very thoroughly at all. "why" "because"
>>
>>60464283
OP is asking why neckbeards and nerds like it m8, not anyone
>>
>>60464322
I am a slightly introverted mild aspie ITer who is into gaming and TV series, has a somewhat patchy beard and has trouble connecting to 'normies' (I hate this term.) So I think I might qualify.
>>
insecurity
>>
>>60463771
>>60463802
>>60463874
buzzwords
>>
Holy fuck, the stereotyping is real.

I've been listening to metal since I was about 14 (21 now) and I've never been a social autistic aspie. I have a job and function perfectly in social situations inside and outside of the work place.
>>
>>60464466
congrats buddy, but OP asked what draws nerds and neckbeards to metal. so it obviously doesn't apply to a well adjusted individual like yourself
>>
>>60464466
He was asking what draws nerds and neckbeards though. To act as though there isn't a disproportionate amount of socially awkward people who are metal fans is foolish.
>>
>>60464466
Let me copy the OP since you haven't read it

>What draws nerds and neckbeards to metal?

lrn2read
>>
>>60463839
>I know 1 Muslim and have talked to others therefore I'm right

Wait you regularly hangout with Muslims? You know in the state we're in right now I could report you to the FBI and you would literally be arrested, questioned, and be accused of treason and terrorism. That's how bad it's gotten m8.

>also there's hundreds of millions of members of Isis

Holy fuck you're ignorant. There's about 200,000 members currently and if you took a half second to stop being fucking ignorant and actually do some research yourself you might actually have a relevant opinion. What I'm posting next is called a "source" by the way. It actually provides facts from someone else by me making them more believable you hack.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/war-with-isis-islamic-militants-have-army-of-200000-claims-kurdish-leader-9863418.html
>>
>>60464466
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>60463055
Those other two describe the hipsters in indie folk desu.

>>60461036
Metalfag here. I have a fairly normal social life with plenty of friends. I also am a big guy (for you) and have anger issues, depression and can be pretty violent sometimes, so I guess that's what draws me to it. That and the whole muh community thing, at least that's what it is with the NYHC senpai back home. I enjoyed being apart of the hardcore community when there weren't any racists around (which there are some in NYHC). I'm also a virgin btw, but not a kv.

My ex is also a weird situation. She likes big /fit/ masculine white guys, is a little racist against the African American influence of hip hop to find them there (I disapprove of her racism but at the same time I just pass it off because she's foreign), but at the same time knows so much about it that I think she does it more than finding diamonds in the rough.
>>
>>60464466
it's not as if "neckbeard" is a well defined term or that this thread could ever have been anything but grasping at straws with such a poorly defined question. i don't think anyone is stereotyping exactly. no one said they're useless idiots, they're just explain why a strange person might latch onto something "deviant" because they have a hard time with "normal" things. they behave just as normally, they're just as misguided as "normal" people, it's just a different normal, and the goal of this thread was to explain why "neckbeards" and metal might make a great couple.
>>
>>60462474
1: it's loud and anti-authoritarian, essential elements for any teenager's rebellious music.
2: the often bleak subject matter carries a theme of pessimism which is often mistaken by reasonably bright but undeveloped minds as "thoughtful" and "realistic." So it has an appeal to the nerds as teenagers, and as we all know, what you're listening to as a teen, you'll listen to for the rest of your life, even if you grow into other genres as well.
3: in some cases, it's technically proficient. Again, bright young people ("nerds") often have some musical training, even if it's just piano lessons their parents forced on them, or being a member of the school marching band. If you're comparing the tabs of most forms of rock to metal, one of them looks more complex and difficult, and that musicianship is appreciated by the nerd, even when it doesn't inherently make the song actually "better."
4: lyrics that aren't about bleak shit like paralyzed WWI soldiers or drowning or such, is about conquering dragons and wizards and shit. This brings us to the "why are nerds drawn to fantasy and scifi" question which is equally complex.

There are other factors about belonging and outcasts, power fantasies, and other issues which people have brought up.

So, there you go. A non insulting answer to your obvious trollbait
>>
>>60464611
I guess that goes for any kind of obscure group of people ie:
>MLP
>Tumblr Feminism
>MGTOW
>Atheism
Everyone wants to be a part of something to feel special.
>>
>>60464770
yes! same with religion and tattoos. everyone wants the same things. but because of entropy we can't all have the same things. BAM. cultures are born.
>>
>>60464800
I have no issue with people who are part of collective groups of like minded individuals who share the same interests. It's just more so the minority who think they're enlightened and or superior for being part of a group. It's like petrol heads who think they know more about cars than you, or even people on here who think their taste in music is so superior to everyone else, when in reality they're just a laughing stock.
>>
>>60464528
>state
>FBI
>>
File: c9d6a09e49df3965e8035ccc92cd0b85.jpg (460 KB, 1450x1100) Image search: [Google]
c9d6a09e49df3965e8035ccc92cd0b85.jpg
460 KB, 1450x1100
Album covers like these may as well be propaganda to angry nerds.
>>
>>60464840
That's perfectly fine, I mean it's okay. You aren't helping yourself by remembering and expressing your dislike for something that will never stop. And you seem aware it's a small minority of any group who take it too seriously and become assholes. As long as you can separate the fact that bad people in certain groups do bad things but that it has nothing to do with the particular group they belong to (or claim to belong to, not much difference there, some catholics say protestants aren't christians and some protestants say catholics aren't christian, who is the true christian? *spoiler* it doesn't matter, means less than is assumed either way) there are always people who for whatever reason, insecurity, social pressure, are insufferable in the way they interpret their culture and express it. but it's never the culture they're espousing that is the problem, it's them, being the insufferable asshole they are. And the best part is they probably don't realize it or are just simply ignorant, to the point that "blame" loses meaning because they don't have any idea of how else to be, that's what is normal to them. which is why some people constantly get into abusive relationships or can't leave them, they litterally don't know how to be in a healthy relationship and if shown one would probably be uninterested in it because it's outside of what is normal to them.

tl:dr
everything under the sun has been done. be nice, and if you want to change the world, learn to treat those kinds of fucked up people with respect and learn to get past their shells that keep them acting so obnoxiously. that's the only thing humans really have left to do, that is be happy. It's possible but it's hard to educate people because ignorance is the norm, education is outside the norm, and it's easier to be ignorant and blame people for things they can't control than actually work towards helping them relax and feel comfortable without being a jackass.
>>
>>60465007
>the state we're in implying the entire nation not any individual state

Lrn2readingcomprehension like you weren't even close.
>>
>>60462891
>>60462723
>>60462643
>>60463626
Very true. I can't stand metal or trendy "hipster" trash but I'd rather chill with a metal head over a wannabe hipster faggot any day.
>>
I just like the music and don't identify with the subculture as I'm sure many others do
>>
>>60464528
>>also there's hundreds of millions of members of Isis
Who the fuck are you quoting? I never said that. Fucking retard.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.