[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aoty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4
File: great.jpg (5 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
great.jpg
5 KB, 300x300
Aoty
>>
how is it better than tpab
>>
>>60450121
doesn't let itself drag out for way too fucking long
>>
>>60450131
fair enough

anything else?
>>
>>60450090
Is that the deluxe cover for TPAB?
>>
>>60450154
better use of it's features
>>
>>60450121
>>60450131
>>60450154

I haven't been here in years is it seriously normal for you faggots to talk about these albums like they are good is this bait are you being ironic?
>>
>>60450206
Are you going to tell us about how you're too patrician to listen to hip hop?
>>
>>60450206
maybe u just a bitchboy
>>
>>60450181
huh?

>>60450206
tpab is generally aoty
>>
>>60450215

I like hip hop that isn't lazy fucking garbage made by idiots with no lyrical ability no flow and completely lifeless beats.
>>
>>60450219
IDLSIDGO has 4 guest features and none of them get out-shown by earl while making sense in the context of the song.
Can't say the same for snoop or rhapsody
>>
>>>/r/hhh
>>
>>60450252
>no lyrical ability
...this is the bait to end all baits

just ignore the shit posting
>>
>>60450260
ah interesting, I'll listen again for that.
>>
>>60450275

Please help me understand what has happened to this board.
Post a lyric from Kendrick or Earl Sweatshirt (any album) and explain the poetic merits of it.
Not trying to argue right now just trying to understand what it's like to be one of you people and listen to music.
>>
>>60450252
So you like these albums, then? Because that's what you've just described.
>>
>>60450301
well I admit I havent really given a lot of though to aoty regarding lyrics
>>
>>60450326
*thought

ironic
>>
>>60450316

No. I fucking hate these albums with a fiery passion. I don't understand what you people get out of listening to this garbage.

>>60450326

I told you to pick ANY ALBUM.
Are you seriously listening to hip hop without paying any attention to the lyrics?
WHY?
If Kendrick and Earl are known for anything it's definitely not the fucking beats.
Do you unironically listen to Yung Lean too?
>>
>>60450301
>I'm just trying to keep my time and my mind intact
>When they're both gone, you can't buy them back
Self-explanatory
>>
Much in the same way children would name 'chicken nuggets with bbq sauce' as "food of the year" do people give credence to some of these more popularized releases put out in recent years, specifically by Kendrick Lamar and artists associated with 'Odd Wolf Whatever'.

A lack of overall experience and knowledge belies an inability to think past one's nose. Of course, there is always a time and a place for chicken nuggets with bbq but generally speaking one ought to realize that the majority of people claiming it to be important or meaningful are intellectually or actually children.
>>
>>60450343
>Are you seriously listening to hip hop without paying any attention to the lyrics?
well I'm just not paying attention closely enough for an album of the year category

I'm just saying merit is relative.
>>
>>60450326
IDLSIDGO Isn't my favorite Earl album lyrically, but Grief still had terrific wordplay.

TPAB Had some strong tracks lyrically like How Much a Dollar Cost and You Ain't Gotta Lie.
But honestly, I don't think you can point out any actual lyrical weaknesses without referencing a hook.
>>
>>60450301
>what it's like to be one of you people
>one of you people
>you people
>>
>>60450384

No.
The law of non-contradiction is self explanatory, since it is explained only by reference to itself.
Those lyrics being good is not self explanatory.
I don't see anything particularly good poetically about them, and they're not particularly insightful.
If you can't explain why you think they are good then you're just confirming by opinions about people who listen to this what I consider to be absolute garbage.

>>60450415

I am asking why you think it's good. Not whether it should be AOTY or not, why it should even be considered good.
You're not selling me on it.
>>
>>60450453
Stop cherry picking the arguments you're replying to and take the thread as whole.
>>
>>60450465

I've pretty much responded to everyone who has replied to me.
Stop complaining about my posting style and give me an argument you pea-brained Odd Future dickriding troglodyte
>>
>>60450343
>I told you to pick ANY ALBUM.
>Are you seriously listening to hip hop without paying any attention to the lyrics?
>WHY?
>If Kendrick and Earl are known for anything it's definitely not the fucking beats.
>Do you unironically listen to Yung Lean too?
that wasn't me posting. IT takes longer than 30 seconds to find an example

anyways for earl, I got these three bars that are pretty good at showing his poetic devices.

>Dodge fanatics, half-a-Xanax when I'm traveling
>Six hours or more, brick out on the tour
>Got kicked out of the morgue, spit cattle manure shit
>Shit, rally the Horsemen, tally the corpses

Alright, so first of all notice the rhyme structure that creates an interesting meter (six hours or MORE/ brick out on a TOUR/).

Secondly, he makes 2 metaphors in the last 2 bars (kicked out of the morgue - even death can't stop his antics) (spit cattle manure shit - his rhymes are disgusting)

third, Shit ends the third bar in that sequence and starts the next bar, making use of both meanings: feces, and an expression of realization

fourth makes use of a great biblical allusion that doubles as a good brag after using shit's double meaning to emphasize the next line. (rally the horseman / tally the corpses) Obviously a reference to the four horseman of the apocalypse.

now that was only the back end of one verse. He does a lot more through out the album's 30 min or so
>>
>>60450491
I did you haven't replied to it. Or the other 6 guys giving you valid reasons these albums have lyrical quality.
>>
>>60450491
>give me an argument
This isn't a debate if you haven't noticed you inbred mongoloid.
>>
>>60450437
>without referencing a hook.
?
>>
>>60450521
Oh shit I just noticed this faggot is baiting.
>>
>>60450453
>I don't think this is poetic or insightful
It's an insight to the plight of a young man
That's earls shtick. He's rhymed intact with back. He's stated that both time and sanity are perishable in a digestable manner. The goal of this song and others in hip hop are not to appeal to others but to rally those that understand and relate. Either you don't understand or you're elitism speaks for you.
>>
>>60450510
also in the second bar he makes a pretty good triple entendre that also references the previous line
(brick out on a tour)
1. A brick of xanax to pop
2. Brick out is to bail out - acknowledging the fact that he canceled his early 2015 tour dates
3. Brick - odd future's manager - is literally with him out on a tour.
>>
>>60450522
People always quote hooks when they're trying to say artists have bad lyrics because they're usually repetitive by design.
>>
>>60450519

Which post was your post? If I didn't respond to it the post was either ambiguously directed at me or it was not worth responding to.

>>60450546

ebin

>>60450510

The only lines in this verse that have anything to do with each other are apparently the one about the xanax and the one about "bricking out" whatever the fuck that is.
I don't see what is so impressive about this.
You can find freestylers who spit better rhymes than this at pretty much any house party. Yeah sure there are technically some poetic devices, any rhymes will have that. Doesn't make them good ones.
What you did was basically respond to a question about "what makes this melody good" by saying "It's in A major, one of the 12 keys, and it's also in 3/4, a time signature. Also, the D note is played before the E, which is a whole tone away from the D." Okay, great, why do I give a fuck?
>>
>>60450609
You're not going to change your mind, but you should find it strange that you're in the overwhelming minority here and it might be a good idea to acknowledge that music is subjective. If you don't relate to the lyrics or understand the wordplay, that's fine. I do, and I appreciate that. If you can't, that's honestly just too bad for you, because the rest of us are going to really enjoy these albums.
>>
>>60450638

>music is subjective
Sure, whatever that means. I'm not saying it's not.
All I am saying is that I can't understand for the life of me what the fuck people get out of listening to this trash.
I can understand why some people listen to certain things I don't enjoy. This shit is just beyond my comprehension though, and the fact that everyone I meet who tries to tell me it's actually good can't explain themselves for shit leads me to believe that only idiots and children unironically think this stuff is great.
It's basically the sriracha or nutella of the music world.
>>
why tf u niggas respondin to this guys shit tier 3rd grade bait

dude is just a contrarian neckbeard u cant change his mind
>>
>>60450671
Due to your le contrarian opinion meme, this doesn't lead to anywhere. What are your favorite Hip Hop albums and lines. And don't forget to explain yourself lmao
>>
>>60450671
If you're not able to comprehends this you've got a very limited and limiting view of what makes music enjoyable and an overall closed minded attitude. Why should I be able to describe why I like these albums? It's not something i have to justify to myself to enjoy them. If you don't like them, that's more your problem than anyone else's. And if you really want an answer from me in particular, these albums have themes that click with me as a black guy in Los Angeles.
>>
File: XxS2Wr0-1.jpg (35 KB, 170x277) Image search: [Google]
XxS2Wr0-1.jpg
35 KB, 170x277
>>60450671
What the fuck was that analogy
>>
>>60450728

The best hip hop albums of all time IMO are Ready to Die by Biggie Smalls, Lives of the Poor and Dangerous by Big L, and Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys.

If you don't know any lines from any of these albums you're basically a cancerfag back in my day all three of these albums were required listening.

>>60450736
>Why should I be able to describe why I like these albums?

I don't understand. So you enjoy the music, and then don't think about it? Like, at all?
>>
AINT NO BITCH IN MY DNA
>>
>>60450762
I think about my music pretty heavily, especially as a musician myself (not a rapper). I know what I like and what connect with me on an emotional basis. There's no way you can think yourself into liking an album, it's the same problem most people have with Marc Rizzo. He's talented, but he's mechanical. Kendrick Lamar and Earl Sweatshirt make music that allows you to experience their world view, and that's what I find attractive. That and their wordplay and general Flow. You Ain't Gotta Lie has an amazing flow, and both of their albums have really interesting instrumental influences.
>>
>>60450799
>>60450762
And Another thing, did you just put together a list of your favorite hip hop albums with Beasties Boys on it and criticize the lyrics in To Pimp A Butterfly?
>>
>>60450799
> Kendrick Lamar and Earl Sweatshirt make music that allows you to experience their world view

And the classic

>I like Kendrick because he's black and talks about being black which I don't know about because I grew up in predominantly white suburbs in southern california

meme rears its head again.

>interesting instrumental influences

If you've spent your entire life listening to the radio and you were born in 1999

>>60450828

>The beastie boys aren't black they can't be good rappers

You've obviously either never listened to Paul's Boutique or you just like to listen to rap music because it makes you feel #hood because black people made it but jazz is too boring for you and Biggie has #nochill.
>>
>>60450847
I didn't grow in in the suburbs or in LA, but thanks for your sage inferences. Here's some lyrics from shake your rump

so like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg just B-boy limpin'
Got arrested at the Mardi Gras for jumping on a float
My man MCA's got a beard like a billy goat
oowah oowah is my disco call
MCA hu-huh I'm gettin' rope y'all
Routines I bust rhymes I write
And I'll be busting routines and rhymes all night
Like eating burgers or chicken or you'll be picking your nose
I'm on time homie that's how it goes
You heard my style I think you missed the point
it's the joint

Defend those, that track is on Paul's Boutique.
For the record I like the Beastie Boys, but I really want to see you pull the straw out of my eyes with a rafter in yours.

And nobody from 1999 listens to George Clinton.
>>
>>60450609

you wanted me to explain the poetic devices he used... It's what I did.
You want me to explain why I like his music?
His production creates a dreary atmosphere that makes it easier for the listener to sympathize with the self-deprecating subject matter. I find the aesthetic of the album emotionally captivating.

Also, earl is a great story teller emotionally

>Ain't step foot up in my momma's place for a minute/ My days numbered, I'm focused heavy on making the most of it/ feel like im the only one pressing to grow upwards

those 6 bars do a fantastic job of setting the stage to his head-space, before going on to describe his life last year right when his album dropped.

>it's still fucked you and whoever you showed up with/ trying to see an end with some steadier hands/ Who you callin' your mans?/Bet you thought he was solid, when he really just sand/Washing away with the water

he's talking to a friend that's betrayed him, and now the fair-weather friends he took in place of earl have washed away with the current. Ironic, isn't it? But it shook up his self confidence and now he's got shaky hands because of it. So he's trying to find a way to beat his anxiety.

>I'm a land mammal staying away from the altar

biblical allusion. Land mammals got sacrificed on the alter. He's trying to stay away from death that would give him martyrdom

>Shit changed in the August in the wake of that August/Last autumn the leaves fell, and I raked in the profit/

Earl released doris in the august of 2012 and he made profits in the fall. He then cracks a joke about making money off the album.

>Disobeying the doctor/The good guy prescribe, faith never caught 'em/Chasing these rabbits, whole face in a faucet

The rabbits are a symbol for his inner peace, so hes chasing it by popping his prescription. He washes his face after he takes the pill in order to wake up.

It could also be seen as him chasing unattainable goals and the cold water on his face is him refocus.
>>
>>60450886
>Defend those, that track is on Paul's Boutique.
The beastie boys have never been known for the incredible lyricism. WHat made them special was their hyped delivery, witty punchlines and great bar-for-bar trade offs with eachoter.

Listen to shake your rump. They often chime in on the final syllable together in order to enunciate the joke, or the direct punchline in order to get the listen aped up.

>Routines I bust rhymes I write/and I'll be busting routines and rhymes all night

pretty witty wordplay on the bust rhymes/routines. Don't tell me you didn't laugh at that

for the record im OP and these are my posts, ill use a trip until this thread dies
>>60450910
>>60450546
>>60450510
>>60450275
>>60450260
>>60450181
>>60450131
>>
>>60450886

It's important to understand these lyrics in the context of the album.
This song establishes both the atmosphere of the album and the world of chaos and seedy adventures that the beastie boys are about to take you into. Paul's Boutique is an entire album that was intended to be listened to from start to finish, and on lots of drugs.

Food is one of the major themes of the album (eggman etc) which gets established in this verse.
>Shrimp
and
>Got arrested at Mardi Gras
Establish a recurring location, Louisiana (smokin that dust at St. Anthony's feast)

Most important about this particular section is the line
>You heard my style I think you missed the point
>It's the joint

The flow in this section is fast paced, ruthless, and disorienting. The Beastie Boys know you won't get all the lines on your first listen through the album, and they don't give a fuck.
At the time this album came out, hip hop this fast paced just didn't exist. Go listen to any Run DMC album from the 80's to get my point.

Also important about this line is probably the most important thing, the joint you are supposed to be smoking when listening to this album.
If you have never listened to this album either on pot you'll never fully appreciate it.
You'll actually never fully appreciate any beastie boys unless you've done a lot of drugs.
>>
>>60450958
>You'll actually never fully appreciate any beastie boys unless you've done a lot of drugs.

lmao not true at all

you just need a keen ear to appreciate the psychedelic texturing of the album.
>>
>>60450977

The beastie boys are good either way, but the albums really pop when you're zonked out of your mind on weed or something y'know, psychadelic, as they spent most of their time.

Go listen to "Something's Got to Give" and tell me it doesn't make you want to drop half a sheet of LSD
>>
>>60450910

You seriously get emotional when listening to this shit?
lol wow. you must be a boring person.
>>
>>60450952
That's not that witty,

>>60450958
If you HAVE to smoke a joint to enjoy the album, it's probably not as good as you think.
Those lyrics are still super bland even given the theme. It's a fun album, they're a fun band. You can't say they're in your top three and then talk about another artist's lyrics.
>>
>>60451000
>You seriously get emotional when listening to this shit?
>lol wow. you must be a boring person.

Or I can just relate to it. The hardships he talks about speak to me. I suppose it's easy for someone who's never experienced emotions similar to what he's talking about it would be easy to dismiss the album's pathos
>>
>>60451013
>if you have to smoke a joint

Did I say you have to?

>you can't say they're in your top three and then talk about another artist's lyrics

LMAO at you m8 this Kendrickfag damagecontrol is too funny

>>60451021

>emotions similar to what earl sweatshirt is talking about

Like what being a barred out retard millenial?
>>
>>60451013
>That's not that witty,
humor's subjective. I chuckle at the line

>>60450990
I'm sure that paul's boutique would be a visceral experience after a few tabs. But so is stepping on bubble wrap, hence why make my opinions while I'm sober, even if the music I'm listening too invokes feelings that I first experienced on psychedelics
>>
>>60451038
You did and you're not really refuting anything I said, or what that other kid said. You're not impressing anybody, and whether you know it or not, you're losing these arguments.

>>60451047
Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm sure it's better in delivery too.
>>
>>60450131
disagreed
>>
you have to have down syndrome to think a rap album can ever be anything above average music
>>
>>60451038
>Like what being a barred out retard millenial?
The drugs are just a means to an ends: escaping the reality your facing. I can relate to that.

I can relate to the feelings of anger towards flaky friends.

I can understand the feeling of having people come towards me or hate on me for a mythos surrounding me, and not appreciating me for who I am

>>60451063
do you think that IDLSIDGO drags, or that TPAB doesn't?
>>
>>60451108
>do you think that IDLSIDGO drags
15 minutes is too long to listen to that kid's monotone, at least tpab has some energy to it
>>
>>60451132
>15 minutes is too long to listen to that kid's monotone
I don't listen to doris because earl's delivery is monotone as fuck. But he displays a range of emotions throughout IDLSIDGO
>>
File: 2.webm (423 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
2.webm
423 KB, 800x450
>>60450090

but that's not b4da$$...
>>
>>60451269
I should probably listen to b4dA$$
>>
>>60450388
earl sweatshirt is more like a steak but i do agree for the most part people have watered down their aoty to hype hip hop bs
>>
File: a3741986511_16.jpg (40 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a3741986511_16.jpg
40 KB, 700x700
this is my hiphop aoty
>>
>>60450206
>I don't like it hurhur.
Faggot.
>>
Nah
>>
>>60450260
Snoops the granddaddy of the west coast (to a lot of current rappers) so it totes make sense for Kendrick.

That being said, IDLSIDGO>TPAB
>>
>>60450252

>and the pants better be creased on my corpse
>if you need that run until the street lights off
>back got bigger, got the team strapped on
>and you thought it was magic but that's just the difference

or

>feet aimed at the jaws of the running mouth
>Disdain for the law since a fucking child
>Spotlights on me,
>I ain't stopping in my tracks
>We taking it all and we running out
>Threw shade in the past but you want me now ho
>Put your face in your palm when I come around ya

earl's flow is literally at the top of the game. he's on his rakim shit rn. you're just a anti-hypist elitist broman.
>>
>>60450453

ok so with that line, which i dont think is even that special when compared to earl's other lines he's saying that as he gets more wealthy and famous, his mind and time are following an inverse path, and if he's not careful he'll end up at the end of that path with lots of money that he can't use to buy back the things that he really cares about. it's like a sinister trade he's being ushered along.
>>
>>60451643
It wasn't bad but seemed lackluster to me. Do you have any themes I should listen for when giving it another play through later?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.