[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do people find appealing about noise music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: FB_IMG_1447723026558.jpg (15 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447723026558.jpg
15 KB, 540x960
What do people find appealing about noise music?
>>
their ability to tune it out

no one is actively listening to it most of the time
>>
I'm not even kidding but autists tend to like noise music.
>>
hypnosis probably?
>>
What do people find appealing about music?
>>
Idk
>>
>>60449628
It's kind of like the weird feeling of satisfaction after you spit out mouthwash.

Painful, yet somehow cleansing and refreshing
Don't know if that sounds stupid but whatever
:)
>>
>>60449671
I've been to a few noise, since one of my friends is a noise musician and I wouldn't say it was very cleansing or refreshing.
>>
>>60449703
I don't know, it feels really kind of mindless and primal, but in a way that's very cathartic
I love thrashing around to Hijokaidan and sitting and musing to Kazumoto Endo, and they both offer some form of palette cleanser for me

It's hard to describe

:)
>>
File: skull-flag-flat.gif (63 KB, 758x508) Image search: [Google]
skull-flag-flat.gif
63 KB, 758x508
I was only really exposed to noise through the band Full of Hell while I was in high school. After that my interest in the genre grew into power-electronics, death industrial and drone related music.

I don't know if you can "like" noise in the conventional sense of liking music as much as you can appreciate the idea of whats occurring on the recording and the sort of tones and textures the song is built with, I really enjoy the gear and methods used to create noise/experimental music in general.

Experiencing it live is a totally different experience and I would highly recommend it if you're into intense live experiences.
>>
Texture and dynamics. Noise compositions have beauty beyond that of standard music. Music is just a subset of noise.
>>
>>60449791
I've been to noise shows before and just did not care for them.
>>
>>60449628
Merzbow's Dolphin Sonar expresses actual relatable pain without using words, music, or visuals, which I think is amazing. That's only one example, but it's the album that got me into actual noise, and it's a great album compared to most of his other works.
>>
>>60449628
Even though this is bait, I feel obligated to give my take on it. Noise is sort of like the logical conclusion to the aggression of punk rock or metal. Very aggressive, loud, abrasive. It's more for a raw emotional response than any sort of music capability or anything.

>>60449649
>no one is actively listening to it most of the time
Projecting much?

>>60449651
Disagree. Autists are more into simple, repetitive music.
Source: Have actual autistic brother who enjoys lots of disco, Katy Perry, and the Village People.
>>
File: 1442106840554.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442106840554.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
I may get a shitstorm of angry posts for my ignorance, but SUPPOSEDLY STGSTV is slightly considered noise music, and it happens to be one of my favorite albums. The noise on there contrasts with the tinkling childlike melodies, almost as if there's something sinister hiding under the bed. That's my reason for liking STGSTV, which is as close to noise as I've gotten so far
>>
>>60449806
music is just one rotted note
>>
>>60449849
Naw, this isn't bait. I genuinely want to know what draws people to it.
>>
>>60449932
I just like it desu. Noise often surprises and astonishes me. I like those things in music.
>>
>>60449932
Visit the /noise/ thread; people usually discuss what their personal draw is (and there's inevitably three people asking the same question in every thread).
>>60438757
>>
>>60449628
It's the closest thing one can obtain to music in a world without people on the world we're on.
>>
>>60449914
best squarepusher LP
>>
When I was a babby, I liked prog- it evoked within me a longing for the future
Then I grew older and I liked indie- it evoked within me a longing for the past
Now I am nothing and I like noise- it evokes within me a longing for death
>>
>>60449932
I like how complex and overwhelming it can be sometimes. It's like the musical equivalent of abstract art.

also sometimes the textures just feel nice on my ears.
>>
>>60449932
Frozen Niagara Falls is a really accessible noise album that a lot of plebs like. Start there and give the thing a good, hard listen.
>>
>>60449726
Noise just sounds like nothing going right to me. I actually tend to love the feedbacky-ass guitar in Midori, but I just can't get into actual noise. Where should I even start if I want to give it an honest try?
>>
>>60449885
>>60449885
It's Noise Pop. Not really want OP is asking about.
>>
>>60449885
>>60450595
Is there anything like the noisey elements of STGSTV but for an entire album? Harsh noise but with a bit of melody hidden underneath.
>>
File: BqX9OIX.png (275 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BqX9OIX.png
275 KB, 640x480
>>60449628
It allows them to remain pretentious pseudo-intellectuals without having to study music theory or obscure composers or anything that's been deemed "hipster". By purporting to be a fan of noise music, all someone has to do is play a track on their tinny laptop speakers at high school lunch for them to earn Cool Kid Points for being so unique and different.

It's just a fad.
>>
>>60449628
the noise
>>
I appreciate lots of noise aspects incorporated in other genres (read Summer In My Veins which is noisy, electronic shoegaze and Frozen Niagara Falls/Bermuda Drain, ambient noise and noisy power electronics, respectively) but I definitely CAN'T get into harsh, unstructured noise (read Merzbow, Herukrat, Laurel Noose). Doesn't attract me in no way.
>>
>>60450117
underrated
>>60450488
bad album imo but i agree that its a good starting point
>>60450669
idiot
>>
>>60450669
even Ryuichi Sakamoto has noise music, do the research search for his song "CORO"
>>
File: 1417650441363.jpg (89 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1417650441363.jpg
89 KB, 400x388
>>60450669
>tfw when you know theory but still enjoy bumping Senzuri Champion in the whip
>>
Its nice ambiance, to take your mind off of things. i don't listen to it and pay attention to it. I usually listen to it while doing something else, or listening to something else.
>>
it sounds good
>>
14 year old check out my rym-core
>>
It's a good anger reducer.
>>
>>60449831
I found merzbow and kevin drumm boring but torturing nurse, pharmakon, iron fist of the sun, and aaron dilloway were some of the most memorable shows I've been to
>>
>>60449849
noise is the conclusion of punk rock or metal? are you talking seriously? noise music, or noise related music is older than rock
>>
It's the atmosphere. I look for sounds that resonate with me and go from there. But I'm not super big on unstructured sounds. Merzbow's 1930 is an exception, mostly for Iron, Glass, Blocks and White Lights.

All in all, it's different and it can excite me in ways no other genre of music can. It's just unique in what it can do when it's done right.
>>
>>60449628
The total and complete lack of appeal.
It's amazing what your mind can come up when you don't expect nothing from it.
>>
>>60449628
it makes them look cool.
>>
>>60449628
Catharsis
>>
if you've seen mbv live and experienced the holocaust section then you're halfway there, OP
>>
I'm not much into harsh noise but I do like the more kind of "ambient" noise like Yellow Swans' Going Places album where it's basically just like ambient/drone music but with loads of distortion over it and to me it's just like another colour of ambient, it has those same aesthetics I like but it a different sort of "mood".

That said, I like making general noise myself, more than I actually like to listen to it.
>>
sageing this shit, but

>>60449849
Yoshihide actually stated in his interview for the rbma, that for him noise began while listening to The Who on max volume on his shitty set-up. There the voice, bass and guitar all melted in this snowstorm of hiss, that forged to some or lesser extend his initial understanding of rock music.

For me noise is rock
it mostly lacks the social aspect
key to the punk scene
and "epic" (in strictly cultural terms)
purpose of metal.

it's just white heat
>>
Since I'm a little kid i been influenced by hardcore-punk, hardcore and some metal. I reemember saw people that were looking for a total noise, it didn't make any sense... but when I grew I started to understand the loveable that an really intense sound could be, so I started to listen to black metal, then i discovered that many of those band ended up working with experimental music (some of them noise). They got near to that by being exposed to a noisey kind of music... anyway, I'm not sure why I like it.
>>
I like to listen to the different layers of sounds that pile together and how this seemingly incoherent mesh makes me yet develop an emotion
>>
>>60453255
Short answer: This
>>60453248
Ugh, it fucking doesn't tho.
>>60451221
The hero this board needs.
>>60449671
Great analogy. :')
>>60449726
Yeah, noise makes me feel almost hypnotised.

Effectively anon, once u realise that music is just interpreted sound, and therefore your interpretations of different sounds are the only thing determining whether something is good/bad, beautiful/ugly, you'll get noise.
>>
>>60450164
damn...
>>
>>60450630
Check out Summer in my Veins by I Am a Lake of Burning Orchards, and Grandeur of Hair by The Goslings.
Going Places by Yellow Swans might be what you're looking for too.
>>
>>60453800
Grandeur of Hair is fucking great.

To add onto this, if you're looking for less melody and more percussion, newer Whitehouse albums may be good for you. Bird Seed is GOAT honestly.

Also check out Dreamcrusher which is basically just noisy hip hop beats, but still badass.
>>
>>60449651
why would autists listen to noise music when their whole life is literally noise
>>
>>60450630
try dreamcrusher
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.