[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who influenced the pixies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: 13_pixies.jpg (33 KB, 460x371) Image search: [Google]
13_pixies.jpg
33 KB, 460x371
Who influenced the pixies?
>>
I dunno' but whatever it was it must have been shit.
>>
>>60449304
Minutemen, Violent Femmes, The Cars
>>
>>60449322
this
>>
Violent Femmes
Husker Du (main one imo)
The Gun Club
>>
>>60449304
nirvana
>>
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4qbwLEkD_g
>>
>>60449351
>Husker Du (main one imo)
came to post this
>>
>>60449352
Memes
>>
Pere Ubu and the Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RczxVYZvFis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5MEAZ2jGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYqvtHzr48
>>
I generally use Inflooenz to look up artist influences, but I'm never quite sure how accurate it is (for example, Les Savy Fav's page never mentions Q and Not U despite them blatantly sounding like a continuation of Q and Not U's sound, and the only artist listed of DFA1979's page is Gang of Four)

http://inflooenz.com/?artist=Pixies

Anyone find anything they disagree with?
>>
>>60449367
Dreams
>>
>>60449399
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RczxVYZvFis
damn dude, well I feel like an idiot

but can I really be blamed with a discography that huge
>>
>>60449441
It took me forever to notice the similarities as well, just cause I didn't put 2 and 2 together
>>
>>60449414
I can't say I see a Wire influence in Pixies. Television though, what with the way the lead guitar can be so weavy

I don't see much of the Who in them either
>>
Larry Norman
>>
Aside from those already mentioned, there is Dick Dale too.
>>
Throbbing Gristle
Pere Ubu
Husker Du
The Beatles
>>
>>60449503
Where's the TG influence?
>>
literally everyone in that band is unlikeable in one way or another
>>
>>60449540
Not musically, but Pixies dark culty stuff really reminds me of Throbbing Gristle in terms of going deep into human spirituality.
I'd be very very very surprised if Frank Black doesn't love them.
>>
>>60449461
Agreed about The Who, but I can see a conection between Wire and Pixies (althought I can't confirm it is a direct one). Both groups use this kind of surreal lyricism that is both completely invested (as opposed to apathetic) but it doesn't go into straightforward emotional territory (the songs aren't plain sad or angry).

Also the guitar interplay in Pixies seems to me a mixture of surf rock, Television's own interplay, and Wire's guitar + bass.

This is more an opinion than a fact, ofc.
>>
>>60449549
i dunno man the drummer seems to be a nice lad
>>
>>60449591
he's a boring drug addict
>>
>>60449643
there's nothing wrong with being a drug addict
>>
>>60449672
yes there is.
>>
>"Yeah, they [Aerosmith] really had an effect on us. It's like, y'know, every harmony and tone in their beats just spoke to us. I don't think I could get away without mentioning Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, or Queens of the Stone Age either. Almost every song on, like, every album since the second has had some kind of callback to them."

- Charles "Black Francis" Thompson, in an interview
>>
>>60449304
Do you think that Frank had any idea what a fat, bloated mess his body was going to become in just a few years?
>>
The Pixies are influenced by a range of artists and genres; each member came from a different musical background. When he first started writing songs for the Pixies, Francis says he was listening to nothing but Hüsker Dü, Captain Beefheart, and Iggy Pop;[110] Other influences associated with Francis include The Gun Club[111] and The Cars.[112][113] During the making of Doolittle he was listening heavily to The Beatles' The White Album.[114] He has cited Buddy Holly as a model for his compressed songwriting.[115]
Santiago listened to 1970s and 1980s punk including Black Flag, as well as David Bowie.[16] Guitarists who influenced him include Jimi Hendrix, Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, and George Harrison.[116] Deal's musical background was folk music and country; she had formed a country-folk band with her sister in her teenage years, and played covers of artists such as The Everly Brothers and Hank Williams.[42] Other artists they listened to included XTC, Gang of Four and Elvis Costello.[117] Lovering is a fan of the band Rush.[42]
Other media such as film has had an impact on the Pixies; Francis cites surrealist films Eraserhead and Un chien andalou (as mentioned in "Debaser") as influences.[16] He has commented on these influences, saying he "didn't have the patience to sit around reading Surrealist novels", but found it easier to watch twenty-minute films.[118]
>>
Surprised noone has said Butthole Surfers yet
>>
>>60449304
Larry Norman
>>
>>60449691
Probably not
>>
>>60449549
Kim seems like a nice lady and wants to record new music rather than go out on the umpteenth "Sounds of 1995" reunion tour.
>>
>>60449304
kekolding
>>
what about Dinosaur Jr.? surely as contemporaries they would carry influence.
>>
>>60449691
Probably didn't expect to go bald either.
>>
The Ventures
>>
>>60449691
how is he now? I just lost 95 lbs in 8 months with basically zero effort and literally zero exercise
>>60450167
Do you know why men go bald? Helmets. think about it.
>>
>>60450199
>I just lost 95 lbs in 8 months with basically zero effort and literally zero exercise

Yeah Adderall's great.
>>
>>60450293
never even touched it

I have smoked an ungodly amount of weed though

munchies are bullshit
>>
>>60449587
You're dead right about the surf rock thought. Frank's solo career seal the deal.
>>
>>60449322
Dubs don't lie
>>
joy divison. buddy holly
>>
>>60449322
haha, good stuff
>>
File: Folder.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
>>60449304
>>
>>60449430
Screams help me
>>
>>60449672
kill yourself
>>
>>60450167
he looks better bald desu senpai
>>
Peter, Paul and Mary
>>
>>60450102
I think they share influences more than influence each other
>>
>>60449304
Salvador Dalí and Luis Bunuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=054OIVlmjUM
>>
>>60449304
X
The Gun Club
The Ramones
The Who
Sex Pistols
Volcano Suns
Pere Ubu
Pylon
Dick Dale
Hüsker Dü
Pretenders
The Kinks
Cheap Trick
The Velvet Underground
Iggy Pop
The Cars
The Beach Boys
Mission of Burma
Neil Young
Big Star
Wire
The Stooges
Richard Hell
Marc Bolan
David Bowie
The Beatles
Minutemen
>>
The Beatles mostly songwriting wise
>>
>>60449685
>Queens of the Stone Age
wat
arent the pixies like 10 years before qotsa ever existed
>>
>>60454643
maybe that was a more recent interview for when they made indie city....(shutters)
>>
>>60449304
me
>>
tame impala
>>
>>60456041
pic related, its nirvana

but it was Bad Brains actually
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.