[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Punk is dead, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: D0C.jpg (10 KB, 251x376) Image search: [Google]
D0C.jpg
10 KB, 251x376
Punk is dead, right?
>>
File: Exploited_pnd.jpg (43 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Exploited_pnd.jpg
43 KB, 300x300
NO !!!!!
>>
>>60409547
It's just another cheap product for the consumer's head
>>
>>60409564
Bubblegum pop on plastic transistors, schoolboy sedition backed by big time promoters
>>
punk as a commodity is dead but punk from an anthropogenic stance is alive and well and always has been
>>
>>60409608
you're using that word wrong
and the punk ideology is fucking idiotic and should be condemned
>>
>>60409547
Considering that, just the other day, I was watching television, and I saw and ad for Johnny Walker BLUE Label, which, btw, costs $200.00 (U.S.) for a 1/5 and they were using Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastique Betrand as the music for the ad, one might easily conclude that punk, indeed, IS dead!
>>
>>60409683
What, exactly, is "Punk ideology"?
>>
>>60409683
ppl don't wear sex pistols shirts anymore. urban outfitters moved on.

fashion dudes wear youth of today shirts but that's a niche because they aren't mass produced in easy to access areas so nobody ends up buying them outside of hc kids who love ian connor (all of them).

punk ideology has nothing to do with this. if you live in a major city then there is probably a punk scene whether you know it or not. that's the whole point.
>>
>>60409747
i hate every large figure of authority and i do everything myself

see "diy"

see "the lyrics to d.e.a.d.r.a.m.o.n.e.s. by modern life is war"
>>
>>60409805
TIL self-sufficency is bad
>/Reddit/
>>
>>60409752
I still wear Sex Pistols shirts
>>
>>60409547
No, but it's best for all involved that normies think it's dead.
>>
>>60409821
no i'm all for diy ethics and shit but that was my way of summarizing the ideology lmao

i get the anti-punk stance because some people need to just a fucking job and let go from pontificating about absolutely nothing for a change

>>60409830
congratulations I bet you own one of these too
>>
>>60409805
I thought a healthy distrust of authority and DIY was a way of life, not an ideology, and certainly not connected to any type of music, or whatever subculture is spawned from that music weather organic, or artificial.

Does building one's own furniture, being musically open minded, and being informed enough to be skeptical about political party lines have anything to do with any "Ideology" punk, or otherwise? I never thought it did, but I'll admit that I could quite possibly be wrong about such matters.
>>
>>60409821
>>60409747

a contempt for putting effort into your music is very bad

see: every single "punk" band lazily strumming power chords with their tongues wagging so obsessed with getting over 'image' and yet so intensely controlled by it

it's just infantile
>>
>>60409881
I don't even have credit
>>
>>60409547
Boy bands don't count.
>>
is Chumbawamba the most punk band of all times?
>>
>>60409930
no
>>
>>60409891
All of my favorite punk bands and musicians always made the extra effort to play their instruments well, and make good quality music. Plus they really didn't care about fashion or trends. But, of course, those are the bands I like. Can't blame one for being cynical when you have 1001 UK82 clones running about, though.
>>
>>60409930
well even if they aren't, at least when they got knocked down they got up again.
>>
>>60409948
i think you're wrong
>>
>>60409930
you really shouldn't mix up your drinks like that.
>>
>>60409882
i'll give you my facebook login to see all the dudes i went to high school with who can justify every single form of authority

it's a form of protest. rage against the machine was the biggest band that got away with it and you won't see much of a limbo between them and the 9000000 punk bands in the world talking about the same shit

talking about punks not building their own furniture is a way of telling me that you've never been to a punk show and that you literally don't know what you're talking about

>>60409891
you're right about the image thing. lotta people do it for image but a lot also don't. the bands playing shows based off donations in people's basements aren't really trying to impress anyone. they're burnouts with some passion thrown in
>>60409892
there's nothing more punk than having a credit card and paying minimum every month
>>
>>60409959
That's cool, because I know I'm right.
>>
>>60409930
chumbawumba is pretty punk but i cannot lie i haven't listened to a song that wasn't tub thumping
>>
>>60409991
Well, I don't use Facebook, so that's of no use.
I also agree with you concerning the subject of RATM and all the punk bands singing about the same thing, but how many punk rockers and RATM fans ever even heard of Phil Ochs, let alone own any of his albums? And that's another thing: Almost nobody remembers Phil Ochs but everybody loves Bob Dylan. Come to think of it, how many punk rockers and RATM fans own any Woody Guthrie or Pete Seeger albums?

And, not to be harsh, but I've met plenty of punks who live in collectives who build their own furniture, tailor their own clothing, grow their own food, and, in the past have found ways to squat buildings in the inner city and found a way to rewire a street lamp to generate electricity, and, re-route public water works piping so they could have hot and cold running water.

And I've probably been to more punk shows than you've had hot meals.

I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather.
>>
>>60409547
Really? We should celebrate!
>>
why do people even say this? it doesn't make sense. if people still care about punk and listen to it and play it, then how could it be dead? is the standard of dead or alive based off the mainstream interest in a certain genre? then I guess a fucking shit load of genres are "dead".
>>
>>60410222
son you just don't get it
>>
vaporwave is the new punk
prove me wrong
>>
>>60410250
how has a post ever been this unfunny
>>
As a musical institution? Shit, m8, punk didn't die, punk took over. Grunge, Thrash, shit like Royal Blood? Power chords and shouted vocals everywhere. Punk and 70s Metal became the establishment for rock music.

As an ethos: the punk ethos was never exclusively punk (see: Roy Harper, and Rage Against the Machine) nor it is nowadays. It's still widely adopted and believed in. Rebellion has always been commodified by big companies, and some of the older punk bands have been too, but the spirit is not dead.

The old punk bads? Well, like I said, they're the establishment now. Everyone alive and reelevant nowadays grew up in a world where the Pistols, Crass, the Buzzcocks and the Clash were already musical institutions upon which music had been built. They're not rebels any more, they're old gods of a path for the new rebels to walk on.
>>
Punk's not dead; it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon.
>>
File: hooch.jpg (28 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
hooch.jpg
28 KB, 800x437
wat about post-punk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hheb-HCRHTk
>>
>>60411078
Post-punk isn't nowhere near punk. It's just called that because rockists were so enamoured with punk that they couldn't imagine that new good quirky rock music could be made without having ties to punk.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.