[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to listen to some folk music. Where do I start? Woody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: woody-guthrie[1].jpg (131 KB, 1080x857) Image search: [Google]
woody-guthrie[1].jpg
131 KB, 1080x857
I want to listen to some folk music.

Where do I start?

Woody Guthrie's guitar sticker makes me cringe but I've heard he was pretty good.
>>
frank turner probably. havent heard him in a while tho
>>
Guthrie was active during a time when fascism was a legitimate force in America with its own party. You sound ignorant.
>>
>>60403207
His last album is pop shite
>>
>>60403118
>cringing at a man with that sticker on his guitar while Mussolini and Hitler are active

teenager pinpointed
>>
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
Sibylle Baier - Colour Green
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come

Male sung folk is shit. Ignore all folk rock.
>>
>>60403118
check out justin townes earle, and jonah carden, I've only been able to find carden on youtube so if you come across a download be a bro and share
https://youtu.be/rz2CKRuUPCQ
>>
>>60403354
>not recc'ing Nick Drake's mom
>>
Cat Stevens, just only his earlier work.
>>
Andrew Jackson Jihad
>>
>>60403422
That's not really folk music.
>>
>>60403118
Simon and Garfunkel tbqh lad
>>
>>60403456
terrible in comparison to bands like Gentle Giant, Cardiacs and Magma.
>>
>>60403456
>andrew jackson jihad
band name contains far to much edge to be even worth giving a shot as a folk band. only plebs think folk is about fighting the man
>>
>>60403627
Only plebs care about image.
>>
>>60403710
regardless of image/name, i listened to the bunny album and its terrible
>>
>>60403710
only true if there's any substance behind the image
>>
Jackson C. Frank
Linda Parsecs
Joni Mitchell
>>
File: robbie basho.jpg (684 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
robbie basho.jpg
684 KB, 1200x1200
Robbie Basho I guess would be considered folk so I recommend you listen to him.

Robbie's style was more spiritual/new age/world folk or some weird genre like that since he had his own vocal/guitar style that's unlike anything else you'll hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSBSlTM53I&list=PL92tNBBu6UBbIKb-UjVTRaj-do901O0Hi

Visions Of The Country is his most listened to album but all of his albums are really great.

His most popular song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYaGChm8RWw
>>
>>60404096
He's considered the frontrunner of the American Primitivism movement alongside John Fahey, though Basho and Fahey had two very distinct styles.
>>
File: Townes.jpg (41 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
Townes.jpg
41 KB, 400x395
This album is a good start.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.