[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I am the walrus" >What did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: eid61he.jpg (170 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
eid61he.jpg
170 KB, 960x960
>"I am the walrus"
>What did he mean by this?
>>
>>60400000
he meant aaron ellis is king of gets and memes
>>
>>60400243
http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/saki/iatw.html
>>
>>60400271
thats right senpais
>>
>>60400331
As much as I believe one can go overboard trying to find the hidden meanings in a song like "I Am The Walrus", it's so rich a harvest of images and evocations that one almost does it a disservice to leave it utterly alone. It requires a process of splitting the mind, more or less, to understand a) what the song *might* have meant to John; and b) what it means to you, the listener. If John claimed it was a meaningless morass of musings, intended to trip up the hot-shots of criticism, that's a valid point. But the song (like any work of art---a painting, a book, a poem) takes on extra life once it's released into the general populace. The context of existence, the effect on its audience--- both add variety and complexity to the work. It is not merely a practical joke. Beyond a certain point, it *is* arguably folly to read too much into a song like "Walrus." But you can make a stab at it nevertheless, balancing what you know of Lennon's own grasp of literary/cultural allusions with the message that, in the end, is communicated to you as the listener.
>>
File: Oldrobotnik.jpg (8 KB, 170x173) Image search: [Google]
Oldrobotnik.jpg
8 KB, 170x173
I am the Eggman.
>>
>>60400452
His song celebrates the same linguistic chaos that Alice explores with a large, egg-shaped being called Humpty Dumpty---though *he* never admits to being an egg, per se. " `When *I* use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean---neither more nor less." Perhaps tracking down the *real* message behind "crabalocker" and "semolina pilchard" and "eggman" is thus futile. But we can guess. Is "crabalocker" some adjectival modifier of "fishwife"? Is it "semolina" the flour or the viscid pudding offered to British schoolchildren? Is the eggman a reference to some aberrant sexual practice, a symbol of florid fecundity, or shorthand for the nursery-rhyme character himself?
>>
>>60400504
>>60400452
Then there are a few of Lennon's own "portmanteau" words: "two meanings packed up into one word", as Humpty Dumpty put it. "Jabberwocky" is full of them: "slithy", lithe and slimy; "mimsy", flimsy and miserable. Lennon's might be "crabalocker" (though I can't quite decipher what it must mean, other than the image of something to do with fishing, the original role of a "fishwife"...or perhaps via "crab" an elliptical reference to other shellfish, the oysters over which the Walrus and the Carpenter argue), and certainly "snied" (most probably an amalgam of "sneer" and "snide"). Is "eggman" one of these too? Maybe we're being too literal with metaphorical interpretations. Maybe an eggman is in fact meant to stand for the fragility of humankind against forces beyond its control?
>>
File: IamtheEggman.png (724 KB, 449x955) Image search: [Google]
IamtheEggman.png
724 KB, 449x955
>>60400452
>>
>>60400602
How wonderfully brilliant. I kek'd.
>>
>>60400271
fuck him
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.