[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There hasn't been a guitarist that has come close to doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: jimmyhendricks.jpg (69 KB, 1119x700) Image search: [Google]
jimmyhendricks.jpg
69 KB, 1119x700
There hasn't been a guitarist that has come close to doing what he has done on a guitar. Fact
>>
Fred Frith. He took the instrument further than Hendrix, though Jimi no doubt laid down some solid foundation
>>
File: tumblr_nmq1zpyBLg1s3y9slo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmq1zpyBLg1s3y9slo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x281
excuse me
>>
>>60398844
Shawn Lane

The only one that came close.

RIP
>>
>>60398866
>though Jimi no doubt laid down some solid foundation
shoot yourself
>>
Mizutani => Hendrix desu imo
>>
>>60398844
epic post dude
>>
>>60398844
What do you even mean?
Hendrix was not nearly as large of a landmark as you'd like to credit him.
Besides, what he created was harmonically, melodically, and rhythmically simple.
Not all that important in the grand scope of music or even the guitar which had 250 years of rich history before him.
>>
>>60398844
Can't shimmy the Jimi
>>
Yea he made that guitar sing. Apparently he was something else live. For what he did, that kind of 60s melodic blues/rock guitar playing, I'd have to agree. There's blues guitarist I enjoy more, but that's just cause my tastes don't allow me to fully love hendrix's syle like I do with the playing of Luke Hoskin/ Tim Miller, David Gilmore, Tom Morello, and BB King.
>>
>>60399598
whoops. meant to say that I enjoy certain blues guitarists more, and that my favorite guitar players overall are those 4. Obviously tom morello and Luke Hoskin/ Tim Miller are NOT blues guitarists lmao
>>
>>60399426
lol
>>
File: TerryKath.jpg (47 KB, 533x419) Image search: [Google]
TerryKath.jpg
47 KB, 533x419
>>60398844
Hendrix can't be credited with inventing a genre of music. This man, Terry Kath, can be credited with developing noise rock.
>Hendrix is also quoted as saying that Kath was a better guitarist than him
>>
>>60398844
His legacy as a guitarist is comparable to Beethoven's legacy as a symphonist.
>>
>>60399363
Like LRD Mizutani? I love LRD but Hendrix will never be topped, his style of being not too flashy and letting other band members shine too while he still made amazing music will most likely never be topped
>>
File: autismo man.jpg (59 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
autismo man.jpg
59 KB, 1920x1080
no one can top this mans autismo.
NO ONE.
>>
Thurston and Lee perhaps?

What they did was pretty innovative - maybe not as universal as Hendrix, but they certainly pushed the boundaries
>>
Adrian Belew
Lee Ranaldo/Thurston Moore
Kevin Shields
>>
Man this is an embarrassing thread to read.
>>
>>60399363
This. Mizutani is great, I can't stand Hendrix anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=_34Jq5pTDSU
>>
Lenny Kravitz
He's influenced more teenage girls to have sex with him than Jimi ever did.
>>
>>60400310
Lou Reed created noise rock with "I Heard Her Call My Name".
>>
>>60399363
>>60400587
>Mizutani
>Kevin Shields

Apparently using a shitton of feedback/effects pedals makes you a great guitarist according to /mu/.
>>
>>60398844
I understand that you're obviously a huge Hendrix fan, as we all are, but your statement is ridiculous. To act as if there hasn't been progression in guitar in the 50+ years since his death, then you need to rethink the way you look at music.

Thank you, fuck you.
>>
If we count acoustic guitar, John Fahey is the best.
>>
>>60400755
Fuck off retard
>>
>>60400801
He's kind of right.

If you asked Kevin Shields who was the better guitarist between himself and Hendrix, do you honestly think he would say himself?
>>
>>60400801
Edgy.

The truth is, if you strip off the feedback and pedal effects, they're just slightly above average guitarists at best. Listen to Les Rallizes Dénudés' "Mizutani" album or anything My Bloody Valentine did before You Made Me Realise to know what I mean.
>>
>>60401010
Why are you attempting to argue a point you clearly know nothing about?
>>
wes borland
>>
File: arpman.jpg (39 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
arpman.jpg
39 KB, 500x333
niggas haven't even listened to Psyopus in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To59oqs1yjQ

Chris Arp is GOD.
>>
That guy from AAL >
>>
>>60401164
Tosin Abasi hasnt really helped the progress of guitar playing though. Not to say he isnt incredibly talented because he is and he surrounds himself with equally talented musicians but he's not exactly reinventing the guitar.
>>
>>60401115
wow.
that is some boooooooring shit.
like 'select all the patios' boring
>>
>>60401115
this is gay af
>>
>>60398844
no one except for your little club gives a shit, guitars aren't really important anymore senpai
>>
>>60401115
>Tfw people listen to this
>>
>>60401563
He reinvented the 8 string
>>
Little Wing is the best song Jimi Hendrix ever did

the rest are nowhere close
>>
>>60398844
For rock maybe. Most Jazz guitarists are 10x better than Jimi.
>>
>>60401781
>He reinvented the 8 string
how so?
>>
>>60401788
>bold as love
>one rainy wish
>may this be love
>castles made of sand
>etc

Yes I agree its a crown jewel but he has many great tunes on par with it. Recording tech of the day really fucked with his compositions. Electric Ladyland would be insane with modern tech
>>
Sloppily play blues?
>>
>>60398985
she hits the upper chord but plays the bottom chord with her left hand

Fake ?
>>
>>60402178
btw i'm not actually Dave Grohl
>>
>>60402178
>Fake ?
nah, its real
>>
File: $_57.jpg (115 KB, 764x1064) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
115 KB, 764x1064
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.