[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Justify this album to me. What redeeming qualities does it have?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: folder.jpg (303 KB, 1020x1017) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
303 KB, 1020x1017
Justify this album to me. What redeeming qualities does it have?
>>
>>60387962
It sounds great while waiting at the airport
>>
it's nice
>>
>>60387962
1. It was massively influential, imitated endlessly to this day, basically spawned a new form of music.
2. It sounds good.
>>
>>60387962
Why don't you tell us where it fails
>>
>>60388598
it's

B

O

R

I

N

G
>>
>>60387962
its very relaxing, and beautiful
>>
>>60388609
1/1 keeps my attention for the full duration desu.
Step up.
>>
>>60388609
typical pleb complaint

do you only watch movies with car chases and explosions
>>
>>60388749
its

R

E

P

E

T

I

T

I

V

E
>>
>>60388598
OP here. Basically it's inoffensive to the point of being offensive. There's not much composition that I can discern, no sense that these tracks are following an arc or leading anywhere in particular. The recording is competent but the musicianship is very unambitious. Basically, Eno is giving me nothing to work with here.
>>
>>60388598
>>60388783
Also, there isn't much use of texture either, there's a very limited number of instruments from what I can tell.

Any of these things, even on their own, could have given me something to work with, something to listen to: composition/progression, virtuosity, texture/sonic variation. Eno attempts none of them.
>>
>>60388833
Try listening to it while studying/reading or falling asleep. That's all ambient music is really good for anyway
>>
>>60388833
Its called fucking airport music you retarded shit wtf do you expect you sound pretentious as fuck
>>
>>60388609
>ambient
>boring

Next you're going to complain about Metal being too loud.
>>
>>60388783
>>60388833
>There's not much composition that I can discern, no sense that these tracks are following an arc or leading anywhere in particular
First, a piece of music doesn't necessarily need to have a composition, but there is definitely a melody and patterns in here, if that's what you are referring to? (Certainly patterns.) While it doesn't arc hugely, there is a slightly progression throughout the album, by means of changing songs. The songs all have very similar instrumentation, so I consider them to be in the same greater piece.

>texture either, there's a very limited number of instruments from what I can tell.
Eno's not really playing with texture on this release, and mostly just the fledgling bare bones concept of Ambient Music. While he's certainly not the first to play ambient music, he's one of the first to explore a near lack of sound in an entertaining manner. There were dozens of avant-garde musicians before him to accomplish "ambient" music, but many were improvised and/or deliberately planned to be antagonistic toward the audience, as much avant-garde music was and is (see: La Monte Young, Tony Conrad). In fact, in Young's Dream Syndicate, for a while hosted in New York City lofts, the day-long performances were said to only be truly enjoyable under the effects of hallucinogens or opiates. There were certainly tons of pop-oriented artist before him who developed a similarly ambient sound (see: Moolah - Woe Ye Demons Possessed) but Eno developed his ambient music in an almost raga-like fashion, focusing on the trance-like aspects of minimalism (see: Steve Reich) and seeing just how minimal he could go. As a result, he developed a repetitious, minimal, pleasant, atmosphere style, which is what people love in this album.

If you're looking for anything technical in this beyond an immaculately crafted atmosphere, I'm sorry. You won't find much. But feel free to enjoy it for what it is. A mass of pure atmosphere.
>>
>>60388783
Do you even know how pleb you sound
>>
Now people on this board is shitting on Brian Eno? How pleb can this board get?
>>
>>60389283
>one person says he doesn't like an album
>WHY DOES THE ENTIRETY OF /MU/ HATE THIS NOW
>>
>>60389233
Damn. I love Eno and this is great. Thanks for this.
>>
P

L

E

B

T

B

H
>>
anyone watch those shitty programmes about airports?
>>
>>60388783
>Basically it's inoffensive to the point of being offensive
>The recording is competent but the musicianship is very unambitious

What part of ambient music do you not understand?
It's not meant to be the centerpiece of any given situation, but rather the soothing atmosphere of the room. It's music meant for sleeping and calming down in busy places (like an airport). You're doing it all wrong because you think you have to pay attention to the music the whole way round. No shit it's boring—if it diverted your attention away from your physical world, it would have failed as ambient music.
>>
BRAH ITS CHILL AND RELAXING BRAH #AMBIENT
>>
>>60387962
its so bad. there's no point in listening to it. reject all music that tries not to "say anything". it means the composer is a coward intellectual without a shred of musical talent
>>
I'm a fan of Eno and an avid ambient listener, but Music for Airports is completely unambitious borefest, a hipsterbait if you will. It's the worst Eno I've heard. He gets good on his future ambient projects though.
>>
Is there anything like music for airports?
>>
>>60390388
OMG tOAtally how ambientheads sound xD epic post my friend!
>>
>>60391322
I think you need to chill and go buy that ambient album on your bandcamp wishlist
>>
>>60388609
>>60388769
>complains about an album being boring
wew lad
>>
>>60391350
>Shit post about shitposting
the ride never ends
>>
File: 1446508422739.jpg (44 KB, 550x449) Image search: [Google]
1446508422739.jpg
44 KB, 550x449
>>60391373
>shitposting about shitposting about a shitpost
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.