[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we honestly discuss this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: the epic.jpg (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
the epic.jpg
100 KB, 500x500
>inb4 originality =/= good
>>
>>60380749
>Can we honestly discuss this?
No I don't think we can any more. All serious discussion about it is kind of beyond /mu/ at this point.
Whether that's people praising or criticising it.
>>
>>60380749
literally kenny g
>>
It's a decent jazz record but it doesn't do anything new, instead just copying the trends and tastes from 30-50 years ago (AKA the popular idea of jazz). In school, studying music, you have to write compositions in certain styles to represent that you understand them. So you have to write stuff like a short binary piece, an artsong, and maybe twelve tone stuff.

This album is Kamasi's unskilled student work at making spiritual jazz.
>>
>>60380749
I just thought it was soulless wank, and i like jazz

also
>2014
>serious discussion in /mu/
>>
>>60380749
>>60380812
As for what you said:
>inb4 originality =/= good
I have never heard anyone claim Kamasi is at all original.
>>
>>60380789
So what did you think of it? Since we can't discuss it, at least I'd like to have your honest opinion on it. I've heard last week a couple of times and found to be pretty decent. 9/10
Not that into jazz tho'.
>>
>>60380828
>and i like jazz

well that already makes you overqualified for it
>>
>>60380846
>pretty decent
>9/10
holy shit please grow up
>>
I like Claire de lune

and

that's it

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>60380846
>be pretty decent
>9/10

am i being fucking memed on right now? is this real life?

>>60380865
p much, i haven't found a single person who is seriously into jazz who actually found that album to be anything beyond average
>>
>>60380866
shitreplying on someone's opinion about an album you don't like.
>please grow up
>>
File: the ekip.jpg (132 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
the ekip.jpg
132 KB, 600x600
he Epic, or rather The Boring, is to jazz what Michael Bay flicks are to action movies.
Everything about this album is a delusion of grandeur, everything is made to give the impression of incredible "epic" proportions, everything is there to keep the unaware listener in awe before such an imposing monolith. Everything looks grand and might be impressive if this is the first time you are ever exposed to the medium.
But it does not take much knowledge or education to see through all the artifices and realise the utter lack of value of this album. The seemingly adventurous saxophone is but a repetition of the same dissonance pasted onto every composition despite not having its rightful place in any, and said dissonance is merely a way to try and pass as daring which is instantly canceled by the automatic nature of it. But this fake impression of risk was necessary to validate Mr. Washington as a pseudo-great.
The rest of the band is but left behind in this display of poor taste. The epic choirs are only there to ass some sugarcoating to an ensemble that is already everything but hard to get into. The piano could very well be a mecanical piano from an ancient Biergarten in the german Alpes considering its total inability to show any form of nuance. The poor bassist must still be cursing the day he accepted to be part of this and had to either lower himself to horrendously plain lines or prostitute himself and his instrument with tasteless soli that only reeks of regrets and frustration.
This album is everything but epic. If one thing, it is a failure of epic proportions.
Ebin, simply The Ebin.
>>
>>60380909
how can you say that an album being a 9/10 is "pretty decent" like how old are you?
>>
>>60380812
Any spiritual jazz album I should look for to better understand its genre?
>>
the production/sound of this record is phenomenal, its so expansive and fun and textured that I can easily get lost listening to it and forget about the length of it, and there are these sugar rush ecstatic moments where all the players are just going for it
loved it, most listened to this year
>>
>>60380931
can't give you anything but the surface level which is a Love Supreme and Pharaoh Sanders
>>
>>60380958
how much jazz do you listen to
>>
File: the ebin.png (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
the ebin.png
50 KB, 300x300
>>60380914
>>
>>60380931

what >>60380966 said.

a love supreme is the doorway.

i don't love p.s. karma album, but this opener is fantastic and kind of epitomizes the subgenre.
>>
>>60380984
the big obvious classics, a lot of fusion, some cheesy latin stuff and the kinda stuff gilles peterson plays generally

I love this album but feel free to tell me I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and this is a 'bad attempt' at a particular style
>>
>>60381068
forgot link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ6lB7FKxi8

also, this alice coltrane record with p.h. (didn't really dig her as she got new-agey)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eACC7W5xX9I

now you're an expert in spiritual jazz.
>>
>>60381113
Sounds like you're just as bad as the rest of /mu/ jazz wise.
>>
File: 1qfwZyT.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1qfwZyT.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
>>60381068
>>60380966
There must be something really wrong with me. I'm not into jazz and only heard a couple of classics such as Kind Of Blue, Somethin' Else and Time Out. And then:
>listen to Kamasi's (find to be soulful and melodic. loved how each instrument sounds alive and tasteful)
>listen to love supreme (find to be wank and wank)
>>
I wasn't really into it at all. It's just not my style though. I can totally understand the people that do like it.

>>60380931
Pharaoh Sanders and both the Coltranes are the big guys. Some other things I really like include...

The Pyramids - King of Kings
David S. Ware - Godspelized
Maurice McIntyre - Humility in the Light of the Creator
Art Ensemble of Chicago - Chi-Congo
Don Cherry - Brown Rice
Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened
Joseph Jarman - Lifetime Visions (for the Magnificent Human)
>>
>>60381180
cool, i'll leave to the experts then and go enjoy some bad jazz buddy
>>
>>60381197
>listen to love supreme (find to be wank and wank)
literally

H O W
O
W
>>
>>60381290
I like Love Supreme but honestly i don't even think it's Coltrane's best album
>>
>>60381197
lmfao
>>
/mu/ treats this album in a very patronizing way despite not discussing jazz at all, let alone contemporary releases or anything outside the canon. It says way too many things about /mu/ how this started to get hated the moment the usual suspects reviewed it.
>>
>>60381377
let me put it this way

I KNOW I know very little about jazz

so I don't talk about it

but then I see people who know EVEN LESS THAN ME saying this is a great jazz album

I have the right to call them on their shit
>>
>>60381377
Yeah, it's funny. People never really mention it in /jazz/ but you get all these "jazz aficionados" who seem to appear just for these threads to tell people it's shit. They tend to take this real high ground with it too which you never really see in /jazz/.
>>60380812
>>60380807
>>60380828
>>60380866
>>60380927
>>60381180
Why don't y'all post in the blindfold threads?
>>
>>60381498
98% of the time when I try to talk or ask for suggestions or mention something I've been enjoying I get LOL SHIT TASTE CONFIRMED FOR NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE PRE 60s JAZZ CANNON or something of that ilk, it's pretty uninviting. Like yeah I have a taste for free jazz but it's still obnoxious
>>
so are /mu/'s jazz fans the worst of any genre then
>>
>>60381377
i don't think it's solely a /mu/ phenomena, or solely a jazz phenomena.

a good parallel this year is leon bridges. some people think it's great. the people who've listened to a lot of sam cooke say "why don't you just listen to sam cooke?"

don't think anyone has a problem with what people enjoy listening to, but when it comes to "discussing" the music, very few here or elsewhere have the background to see the album in context. and those that do will generally be accused of having "whoever did it first did it best" disease/bias.

i dunno why anyone discusses anything honestly. at least here. very intelligent music critics have written about this album (if you widen your scope beyond p4k and fantano). i don't know why people don't seek them out instead of talking about things like this here.
>>
>>60381498
>blindfold threads
what are?
>>
>>60381619
this.
>you're not allowed to like The Epic cause "haha such bad tasted you don't know shit about jazz classics"
>>
>>60381683
any thoughtful review(s) about thread related you could mention it? I'd love to know other's opinion on The Epic since I've liked it so much
>>
>>60381447
yeah you really don't know about jazz, every jazz cat I know digs this album, it doesn't have to be revolutionary or innovative to be great

the dissonance is cool, the melodies are cool, I enjoy listening to it, its no good comparing it to the greats
>>
>>60381619
You'll find most of /jazz/ likes free jazz to an extent. There are people who like to heckle people for listening to it for the sake of being edgy but if you engage them in conversation about why you like the album they'll reciprocate.
Also, that doesn't tend to happen in /blindfold/ which is pretty welcoming towards people who don't know anything about jazz.
>>60381692
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S60359871
Threads are every Monday.
>>
>>60381814
>it doesn't have to be revolutionary or innovative to be great
name a single composer/artist remembered not for innovation but for just being enjoyable
>>
>>60382093
Bach
>>
Truly the Sunbather of jazz.
>>
>>60382093
elvis presley
the beatles
>>
it's only being talked about on this level because of his assocation with kendrick lamar, and that he;s one of the few jazz artists to be reviewed by pirchfrok, needledrop etc
>>
>>60382263
he was pretty controversial in his time actually
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.