[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Michael Gira wait over 30 years to rip off Glenn Branca?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Why did Michael Gira wait over 30 years to rip off Glenn Branca? Or did it just take him that long to figure out how to emulate his sound?
>>
>>60378643
BROS
>>
>>60378643
Shut it down. They know.
>>
>>60378643
because he had legitimately good ideas of his own
>>
The only real "rip off" is the similarity from the opener of The Ascension and "Oxygen" from TBK.
>>
>>60378856
nah the crescendo-core songs like "the sound" have become a staple of modern swans and the ascension is basically one long crescendo
>>
They each have their own unique style despite being similar
>>
The Acension is pretty much the only No Wave album that I can get into. Great artist.
>>
>>60380001
same
>>
HELLA
>>
Think before you post.

Oxygen is about his past, as a kid, dealing with asthma. If anything the riff is a reference to the music from back then.
>>
>>60380374
>implying he was a child in 1981
>>
>>60378643
>wait over 30 years

are we all going to ignore how there were similarities to Branca's sound way earlier into Swans' catalogue? I mean, they were part of the same scene and Helpless Child sounds Branca af
>>
>>60380374
The lyrics in any song by Gira could be interpreted by him as being about any number of different things. What you're saying probably isn't false but it definitely isn't just that simple.
>>
>>60380450
It's also not just simply "He ripped it off" which is a lazy conclusion.
>>
>>60380464
the riff is identical, to say he ripped it off is fair
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.