[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there such thing as patrician top 40 pop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: solange-knowles-1699132784.jpg (244 KB, 1000x1585) Image search: [Google]
solange-knowles-1699132784.jpg
244 KB, 1000x1585
is there such thing as patrician top 40 pop?
>>
no

its an oxymoron senpai
>>
Pitbull
>>
This was a Top 10 hit in the UK. Is this patrician enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXnC4Wk5bs
>>
Taylor Swift
>>
Its not that there ahas never been any good top 40, but if something is patrician its almost always an identifier of good taste. Usually patrician artists arent the absolute best, but rather really good and also obscure enough that no one would ever like them just to like them.
>>
>>60376858
senpai desu kek baka
>>
inb4 that one tryhard faggot that claims it all is
>>
of course not
>>
>>60376863
DALE
A
L
E
>>
solange is a qt btw
>>
Bieber
>>
The Japan song Ghosts got to #5 in the UK in 1982
No drums and tons of weird Prophet 5 bleeps and bloops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOW4-oWnDPw
>>
Yes. Good pop music is good regardless of how many people like it. Many of today's 'classic albums' were popular in their times.
>>
>Like A Rolling Stone
>Strawberry Fields Forever
>Penny Lane
>Good Vibrations
>hur dur, dadrock
It did happen at one time is all I'm saying.
>>
>>60376842
Justin Timberlake
>>
>>60379022
No that's just good pop music, not patrician.
>>
File: 1444757759659.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444757759659.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>60379280
Fuck you twat
>>
>>60379317
I'm not wrong though.
>>
>>60379280
>he thinks patrician means anything more than music CLT liked
>>
File: FUCKING WEABOS.png (97 KB, 480x434) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING WEABOS.png
97 KB, 480x434
There was so much high quality pop released this year that it's a legitimate contender for Genre of The Year alongside Hip-Hop and Alt. Country. Huge years for both of those music genres as well.
>>
File: can't collar the mahler.jpg (245 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
can't collar the mahler.jpg
245 KB, 800x800
>>60379369
>Hip hop, alt country and pop are the best genres of the last year
What has /mu/ come to
>>
File: fsls.jpg (415 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
fsls.jpg
415 KB, 900x900
>>60376842
Yes
>>
beatles
beach boys
list could go on
>>
>WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH TOP 40 THE GUIDE
I heard that 2 songs go join usual radio station rotation per week.
assuming 3 songs per album at average go to rotation and after some amount of math I will not post here because almost no one cares, you have 4000 mainstream albums since 100

Now, imagine there is a bookstore with 6000000+ different books inside it.
Now imagine some 4000 random books from this store.
If you enter this store, will you check those books? Probably not, the ratio is 1499 books to 1.
Are those books special compared to all others? Probably not, also remember its a ratio of 1 random book to 1499 non random ones.
Imagine someone giving 1 random book to you and telling you to find something you like there, and then giving you 1499 telling you to find something good on this list, you will obviously find something good on the second case.

Now in this analogy, the 4000 books are mainstream music
The rest is underground music.

The amount of mainstream music is too limited, its so limited that is irrelevant, as some example if you spend alot of time talking about music and discovering it, you will still not discover some genres, like noise black metal, tonefield, dark jazz, doomcore, free funk or whatever and this is not a problem because you cant know every single thing ever and those genres you dont know are just few in world of many.

Not saying you cant listen to mainstream music, in the same way I am NOT saying to you to not care about dark jazz, tonefield, or doomcore, just saying they dont need special treatment
>>
>>60379763
>since 100
change that to since 1900
>>
>>60379782
Albums as we think of them didn't exist back then and recorded music was still a novelty.
>>
>>60379818
>Albums as we think of them didn't exist back then and recorded music was still a novelty.
If anything, this would just decrease the amount of mainstream albums and make my logic even more valid
>>
>>60379818
hey bro heard the latest recording of beethoven's first piano sonata on edison cylinder? shit's fucking tight
>>
>>60379842
No, it makes you come off as uninformed (this is basic history, never mind music history) and gives me less of a reason to take you seriously. Didn't even bother with the rest of your post.
>>
Someone post the image
>>
>>60379896
>No, it makes you come off as uninformed (this is basic history, never mind music history) and gives me less of a reason to take you seriously. Didn't even bother with the rest of your post.
Yes I knew that
>1900: albums started
was wrong, when I posted
Just used it to get a round number.
Will change it on later times.
>>
lorde tbqh
>>
>>60378888
Quads speaks the truth
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.