[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
Can /mu/ explain the deal with prog? It's really good most of the time but then suddenly there can be an entire album of just random incoherent noise, like the second half of Moonchild in Court of the
Crimson King.
>>
Largely? "Intellectual" music with super-vague white nationalist undertones.
>>
pleb
>>
>>60370903
Hwat. Prog is raycist? Please explain
>>
it's called "" experimentation ""

>>60370903
>super-vague white nationalist undertones
what the fuck are you even talking about
>>
>>60370906
Yeah I'm a pleb, now explain why prog has so many shitty songs while others are god-tier
>>
>>60370918
Yes but why? I've never been high, does it sound amazing when you trip and listen to it?
>>
>>60370927
because why would it be different from any other genre in that regard
>>
>>60370932
What I ment was: how can Court of the Crimson King be regarded as a masterpiece when 5 minuted of a song is just them playing random piano tones?
>>
>>60370903
fuck off nigger/spic etc.
>>
>>60370948
improvised isnt the same as random
>>
>>60370894
Half of it is great, half is guitar wankery to the max
>>
>>60370971
guitar wankery can be great too
>>
>>60370964
Jazz is largely improvised, that sounds good. Prog sounds about as good as a 3 year old playing a piano while I'm vacuuming in the next room
>>
>>60370903
>>60370954
Bad posts
>>
>>60370981
nah i like moonchild tho. it draws your attention due to how sparse it is, and works well as a "calm before the storm" of the closer
>>
>>60370948
that album is jazz influenced, go listen to some jazz and you'll understand.
Miles Davis, Coltrane, Duke Ellington, all of them have large passages of what you describe as "random sounds" and yet are considered the greatest albums of all time (bitches brew for example)
You might not get it, but other people do
>>
>>60371000
It's just filler though, isn't it?
>>
>>60370894
There isn't a prog album that's entirely "random incoherent noise"
I still don't get why people are so upset by the 2nd part of Moonchild, it isn't even the abrasive type of imrpov, it's the very calm and sparce type of improv
>>
>>60371012
i guess not every single moment on the album bangs but sometimes padding serves to highlight the highlights, and im fine with it
>>
>>60371012
For me it isn't.
Well, not always at least.
Sometimes I think The Illusion is boring as shit and even somewhat exhausting, and sometimes I think the whole improv is very relaxing. I guess it depends on the mood I'm in.
>>
>>60371012
well i listen to it, so to me it isnt
whenever I think im bored of the album, that part comes in and i have to pay attention
>>
>>60370917
>>60370918
Prog rock has a history of attracting and selling itself to white Tories in southern england who were distancing themselves from the black origins of rock music in general. A lot of early prog references eurocentric tolkienesque fantasy garbage or politically aligns with racist assholes like Enoch Powell. Like I said, bands were often super vague about it, but they knew their audience.
>>
>>60371212
>not targeted at blacks
>must be racist lol
>>
>>60371223
It's not that it wasn't targeted at blacks and therefore racist, it just quickly found an audience with racists who wanted to listen to overtly-whitewashed rock music and bands rolled with that. They weren't necessarily racist themselves, but they enabled that sort of idiocy because, like I said, they knew their audience.
>>
>>60370894
>>60370948
>>60371012
Moonchild is regarded by many people, fans of the band and even the band to be the worst track on the album because of the improvisation. They admit, that it was a failed attempt at improv.

Steven Wilson's album actually trims some of the worst bits out of the track, and makes it a much more enjoyable experience.
>>
>>60371247
maybe theres a subconscious undercurrent dunno but wanting to listen to "whitewashed" or "brainy" rock music doesnt necessarily seem racist, there are probably various other reasons for its appeal
>>60371260
well i like it tho, so no, not a complete "failure"
>>
>>60371281
>maybe theres a subconscious undercurrent dunno but wanting to listen to "whitewashed" or "brainy" rock music doesnt necessarily seem racist, there are probably various other reasons for its appeal

Yeah no I'm definitely not saying everyone who enjoys/listens to it is racist. Like, I wouldn't even say that about Burzum for example. It's just the ugly history of the genre.
>>
>>60371312
yeah i know that would be nonsense but ive read more audacious claims here before
>>
>>60371212
>Prog rock has a history of attracting and selling itself to white Tories
Prog is often a leftist thing. Pink Floyd's Animals being the most obvious example.
>>
File: obamaflaunt.jpg (9 KB, 218x267) Image search: [Google]
obamaflaunt.jpg
9 KB, 218x267
>mfw one of the genres listed on wiki for 21st century schizoid man is "heavy metal"
>>
>>60371558
>tags are an objective thing
>I know what tag is correct for what song
>>
>>60371584
its an intersubjective thing, and heavy metal is more correct than happy hardcore, for example
>>
>>60371012
Do you not know what filler is?
>>
>>60370894
prog sucks, it's ok anon
come over to the side of punk
>>
>>60371604
>Not listening to prog punk
>>
>>60371558
It's literally proto-metal, that's why.
>>
>>60371652

no
>>
>>60371670
yes
>>
>>60371670
" yes "
>>
>>60371680

stop trying to give it credit it doesn't deserve, you could say something is proto anything if it remotely sounds like it

>recorded literally a month before sabbath's first album
>scorpions formed before any of them anyway

fuck you
>>
>>60370894
Listen to better prog

KC suck
>>
>>60371652
stop putting proto in front of things it doesnt make you look smart
>>
Is this prog? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgIFOXc-b0I
>>
>>60370948
Because 0.01% of the people here aren't complete plebs
>>
File: cover-missaatropos2.jpg (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover-missaatropos2.jpg
69 KB, 600x600
/late/ for gazpacho
>>
>>60371753
What do you recommend?
>>
>>60371834
>implying that I am a pleb?
>>
Improvisation was a huge part of King Crimson, that's why they wanted to showcase it. and other times as well. Trio, Providence and others
>>
took some balls to put something like moonchild out on a record

after listening to it again after a few years it's actually alright, if you're in the right mood
>>
Moonchild is probably my favourite track of the whole album desu senpai
>>
>>60370948

The improvisation of moonchild is actually cool if you've listened to some free improv or played in a band, it's just that the rest is so stellar that it's a huge let down
>>
>>60371670

Why?
The first riff is heavy as fuck
Tons of metal bands have covered the song
Its legacy in particular can be found in bands like maudlin of the well or shining ( the blackjazz one )
>>
>>60370894
The noise part in moonchild is a crap, I know, you know, even they know.

I can explain it because I have a rock-prog band and we sometimes do this kind of staff.

To create a psychedelic and atmosferic part is not easy, sometimes you achieve it and sometimes you fail.

When you are improvasing it you don't realise how good or bad is. You realise later, when you hear on the album months ago, and then is too late.
>>
>>60370906
return to /b/ shitposting hipsters
>>
>>60371212
>Prog rock has a history of attracting and selling itself to white Tories in southern england who were distancing themselves from the black origins of rock music in general
And you use King Crimson as an example of that?
>>
>>60371012
No. it's definitely not filler. They would have written a throwaway song if they wanted filler, not some ambient improv that they must have known was gonna polarize listeners.
I see it as more like an experiment to see how sparse they could perform improv in an ambient kind of way. It was building on some of the more atmospheric stuff that was coming out of fusion and jazz in general.
Some people like it and some don't, so as an experiment results were pretty mixed but it's a very nuanced and subtle piece that if you can enjoy, you get a lot out of it.
>>
OP, I pretty much agree with you, though prog is 90% shit. King Crimson are one of the few great bands in the genre. A majority of prog is unlistenable/cringeworthy.

As for Moonchild, I just edited out the improv part. Not the first time I've done this to a song. It doesn't harm the pace of the album at all.
>>
the second part of moonchild is the best bit of it you people are crazy
>>
Even Fripp admitted Moonchild was just a filler.

People here pretend it's good for the sake of being contrarian.
>>
>>60374066
Source?
>>
>>60374066
I like it because it's relaxing, and because taste is subjective. Not a contrarian nor pretending.
>>
File: 1392430943023.jpg (44 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1392430943023.jpg
44 KB, 300x400
>>60370903
>>
You know you don't have to agree with the artist, right? It's not like the improvised portion of Moonchild is a world away from what you'd find on an ambient record or something of that ilk. Is it truly that hard to believe some people actually enjoy it? Get your head out of your ass.
>>
I like prog because is an ambitiuos genre (like Fusion) you can mix whatever you want and there's no boundaries and i find it real fun and interesting
>>
File: 240962241.jpg (26 KB, 400x349) Image search: [Google]
240962241.jpg
26 KB, 400x349
>>60370903
>>
>>60371652
the screeching during the main riff at the beginning and end is saxophone, not guitar, thats why its not considered proto-metal, its jazz influence
>>
File: 1433437205280.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1433437205280.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>60370903
Probably the worst first response to a post I've ever seen, and this is fucking 4chan.
>>
tell me why dream theater hated here so much besides mass appeal,wankery and fanbase.
i don't visit this place to much and couldn't give two shits about you calling me a pleb im just genuinely interested in peoples opinion here.
>>
>>60375115
>besides the reasons that Dream Theater haters give for hating them, give me a reason why they hate them
u wat?
>>
>>60371312
If the races if people in that situation were reversed you wouldn't call it ugly.
>>
File: 5028479011223.jpg (287 KB, 930x923) Image search: [Google]
5028479011223.jpg
287 KB, 930x923
GOAT prog right here
>>
>>60374510

jazz has a big influence on metal though, Black Sabbath was all jazz guitar solos for their first album, in fact, I'd say jazz fusion is the second biggest influence on metal NWOBHM onward, right behind Heavy Prog, ITCOTCK really has elements of and influenced both too
>>
>>60374510
>the screeching during the main riff at the beginning and end is saxophone, not guitar, thats why its not considered proto-metal, its jazz influence
>saxophone=jazz
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.