[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ys > Divers > Have One on Me > The Milk-Eyed Mender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: da elf.jpg (234 KB, 800x805) Image search: [Google]
da elf.jpg
234 KB, 800x805
Ys > Divers > Have One on Me > The Milk-Eyed Mender

what are your rankings?
>>
HOOM > Divers = Ys > MEM
>>
>>60368427
Kek.
>>
ys > mem > divers > hoom

basically ys is her best work no doubt about it because of the record's self-completion in the 1CD in addition to easily the best arrangements and best overall songs of her career (thank mr park) I put mem second because I think one of the key things between divers and mem is that the former is much more trendy and '''''''''indie''''' whereas the latter is a lot more sincere largely limited to the rock instruments+harp I mean there's no reason to have such an offputting introduction as on Divers and then add in baroque instrumentation it's just pretentious like imagine if Kanye west's AOTL had bassoons instead of French horns like what the fuck

hoom is a bloated mess
>>
>>60368427
She's for nerds that masturbate to world of Warcraft dude
>>
>>60368427
milk-eyed mender > HOOM > ys > divers
>>
File: 1357232117939.jpg (115 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1357232117939.jpg
115 KB, 450x600
Reminder that HOOM is the patrician's choice
>>
>>60368534
>hoom is a bloated mess
eat shit
>>
>>60368598
I mean say what you'd like man but that's not going to erase the fact that unless you're Richard wagner/wa Mozart/<yourfavoriteoperacomposerhere> you're not going to be creative enough to hold listeners for 2 hours plus unless you have the compositional chops to back it up

really Joanna's always been a SONG artist, not an ALBUM artist. Ys' strength was that each song was focused on itself, not pretentiously combining with the rest
>>
>>60368635
Good thing it's split up into 3 LPs so you don't have to listen to 2 hours of it at once
>>
>>60368691
but then why release a triple LP? you're basically telling me "oh she could have just released them in individual albums and made a stronger statement"
>>
>>60368635
>not pretentiously combining with the rest

Every song ends with a climax that involves water

In Emily, Emily gives Joanna an astronomy lesson. Monkey and Bear is about a bear named Ursula. There's a constellation called Ursa Major which is known as the "great bear".

All the songs share themes of excess, harvest and fertility

These songs are very tightly woven together in many ways
>>
>>60368721
there are common links sure (even though you just pointed a single link between the first and the second song which isn't even that important) but there's not a sense of "if you aren't listening to all of this at once you're wrong!" like there is in the epic display of HOOM
>>
>>60368635
>it's too long!

being this much of a pleb is a real commitment
>>
>>60368814
hey who are your favorite opera composers and their favorite works just curious

see I mentioned Wagner because jesus Christ Tristan und Isolde is a long listen but you know it's so rewarding not even for the story but because wagner does such a great job blending it with the music which means that even when there isn't action or dialogue you're FEELING the scene as you listen

but I'm sure you know a lot about pacing compositions after all you've listened to swans double albums :)
>>
>>60368721
>even though you just pointed a single link between the first and the second song which isn't even that important

I also said pointed out a link between every song, in how water is a very important theme in all of them (The mythical Ys was a city that fell under the ocean). I also pointed out how all of the songs share the same themes of excess, harvest, and fertility (also death and rebirth).

>"if you aren't listening to all of this at once you're wrong!"
I don't get that at all. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say you should listen to HOOM all at once, but not Ys. HOOM is literally split up into three for you.
>>
>>60368849
>I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say you should listen to HOOM all at once, but not Ys.
well let me put it this way when you're faced with a 30-60 minute symphony that's relatively compact and bite sized so even though obviously the movements form a whole, there is a lightness to it that's inherent because it's filling a smaller timeslot
but then you got Mahlerian super-symphonies like the 3rd and you cannot look me in the eye and say that you can listen to bits and pieces of the 90 minutes. same with the 4 hour operas (unless you're talking about the Italian affiars which, again, were considerably shorter)
>>
>>60368847
embarrassing
>>
>>60368910
We're talking about Have One On Me, not any other piece of music. It's split into reasonable ~40 minute pieces that are purposefully separated. Whether or not you must listen to it all at once or in pieces is not objective, but she clearly is not urging you to listen to it all at once in any way.
>>
Ys is good enough. Not really worth listening to more than one album from a gimmick artist.
>>
>>60368930
come on you can admit that you like some meme like Glass
I mean it's not actual opera (acc to the librettist) but at least that'd be better to admit than not be able to reply because youre too ignorant
that'd be REALLY embarrassing
>>
>>60368956
can you use a trip so I can filter you
>>
>>60368962
Nope. :^)

Sorry about your hurt feelings, bud.
>>
>>60368536
In thurr lyke swem wurrrr
>>
>>60368960
embarrassing
>>
>>60368967
>hahaha i am edgy anon, hurter of feelings!

k
>>
>>60368945
well i'm sorry but I personally don't see how you can release a triple album that isn't a compilation and then say ''oh don't worry there's no reason for this to be a triple album''
>>60368975
oh
that's sad I guess you're just a shitposter like the rest
>>
>>60368995
embarrassing
>>
>>60368992
Your words, not mine.
>>
>>60369011
Gayharrasing
>>
>>60368995
If she released it as a single 2 hour long album, you might have a point. She purposefully decided to release it as a triple album, possibly to be considered three unified works, possibly to split the album up thematically between the three discs, possibly to space out the album so that people don't think they need to listen, who knows her reason. What you need to do, is explain how her purposefully splitting up the album into parts means she is compelling listeners to take it all in at once.
>>
>>60369109
>What you need to do, is explain how her purposefully splitting up the album into parts means she is compelling listeners to take it all in at once.
the splitting into parts is for practical reasons and to give continuity between the required 3LP and then the understandable 3CD
we're getting too far into semantics
>>
>>60369130
>we're getting too far into semantics
I don't think we are. You are saying that the album gives off a sense that you have to listen to it all at once, despite it literally being separated into different parts. I'm not saying this means that she definitely thinks you have to listen to it in three separate goes, but it is a problem for the argument that she is saying it should be listened to in one go.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.