[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: what's the point of using a synth anymore in this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Question: what's the point of using a synth anymore in this age of VSTs?
>>
>>60347223
its fun
>>
VST's are complicated and messy to organize

VST's now are like MUGEN in 2005.
>>
>>60347223
so i don't have to mess around with my mouse and my computer while i'm recording a song
>>
>>60347223
no VST is ever gonna replace a Juno 60 fampai
>>
>>60347223
VSTs sound like shit in comparison you deaf-ass.
>>
>>60347639
No they don't. That was true in like 2002, but not now. There's a small number of things that software can't do well, but it's getting smaller every hear. Anymore it's mainly a workflow thing.
>>
>>60347307
this

vst sound great but its a lot of boring preparation to get your sound and its not as fun as dialing in on hardware
>>
>>60347555
TAL U NO nails the dry sound of the Juno 99%, the only thing that's completely off base is the chorus. This is coming from someone who owns one btw.
>>
Workflow

I prefer having more direct, physical control over what sounds are being made. VSTs feel too impersonal.
>>
A synthesizer is an instrument that I plug into an amp and play for people. If you want to get technical about it, digital synthesizers might as well be VSTs inside little computers inside integrated keyboard housings. Much better, more straight-forwards, and more direct control than a midi keyboard, a midi knob set of individually assigned knobs, a lap top, an audio interface, a daw, and a vst when you just want to plug in and play the music man.
>>
>>60347223
Fun
Inspiring
Physical interface
Ability to gain muscle memory
Intuitive workflow
Retains value
>>
>>60347660
No, there's still nothing close to analog synth.
>>
>>60347660
You've never played a real mini moog have you?
>>
>>60347223
but VSTi's can be synths, silly anon :)

anyway, its a romantic thing, vintage controlled oscillators, actually feeling the rustiness of a potentiometer affecting the circuit, the involuntary detuning, knowing that it was made 20+ years ago, idk modern hardware synths are cool too, if you dont feel the need to buy them don't do it, VSTs can make great music too
>>
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
http://youtu.be/JNNFLHV6j1I

Watch this OP
>>
Sitting in front of a computer for a long time and mousing over skeuomorphic shit is depressing
>>
>>60349472
Jesus, this.
I don't want to look at a big flat screen while I'm making music. It's bright and intrusive and interacting with it is never inspiring. I want to sit out on the patio with a keyboard and use physical knobs to shape my sounds.
>>
>>60349507
yeah you're a big fan of physical knobs I can tell
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.