[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hip Hop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: FB_IMG_1444841749378.jpg (112 KB, 720x612) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1444841749378.jpg
112 KB, 720x612
I know nearly everything about hip hop. Ask me anything.
>>
where do you see hip hop in 10 years
>>
I'm looking for some very specific hip hop acts.

Is there a rap group or artist that relies heavily on improvisation and uses mostly live instruments? I already know about The Roots and Face Candy.

Is there a rap group or recording that heavily features strings? Cello, viola, etc. this can be either sampled or live but preferably with classically influenced harmony. Bonus points for 20th century classical influenced harmony.
>>
>>60339954
>Is there a rap group or recording that heavily features strings? Cello, viola, etc. this can be either sampled or live but preferably with classically influenced harmony. Bonus points for 20th century classical influenced harmony.
yeah i was looking obsessively for this last year and got really frustrated because i couldn't find anything
>>
>>60339898
It depends on who inspired the new artists at that point if we're talking mainstream. I think independent artists and labels will become even more prominent.
>>
What's your favourite hip-hop album? What's your opinion on Jedi Mind Tricks and Aotp? Who has the best flow currently in your opinion?
>>
>>60340003
The ultimate would be a live, improv based group consisting of drums, bass, string quartet, electronics, and two rappers.

Somebody should put this together.
>>
>>60339871
Any chance of a written list of the names of the albums and respective artists of all the albums on that pic ever existing? If there exists such a thing, could you share it? Seems like the perfect candidate for a "the only 525 hip hop albums you'll ever need"
>>
did you know a tribe called quest are currently doing an ama on reddit and you're here claiming you give a fuck about hip hop?
>>
>>60340045
Don't have a favourite. I dig certain albums heavily and move on. Right now I'm listening to a lot of Clipse. I like AOTP and JMT and my favourite members of AOTP is Apathy and Reef The Lost Cause.
>>
what do you think of prefuse 73
>>
>>60340135
Ever heard of multitasking?
>>
Recommand good industrial hip-hop (i.e. Death Grips is garbage, I already like Techno Animal and EL-P)
>>
Best hip hop albums that came out in the last 5 years?
>>
>>60340160
nawww you didn't know lmaooo
>>
>>60339954
Late Orchestration by Kanye West is one I'd recommend. I'm not sure if BadBadNotGood use live instruments but the production on Sour Soul with Ghostface Killah was good. If you dont mind digging around then some really old Hip Hop songs use live instrumentals. The Breaks by Kurtis Blow is a good example. Big Daddy Kane uses a live band at his shows and I would recommend to go to one because they're so fun.
>>
>>60340213
Dark Fantasy
Undun
GKMC
Tetsuo and Youth
Czarface 2
>>
>>60340088
I'll do it one day keep an eye out
>>
>>60340293
Already knew about Sour Soul. It was decent. I will look up the others. Thanks.
>>
>>60339954
>>60340003
This because I'll miss songs out if I list them all http://genius.com/discussions/24641-Hip-hop-songs-with-piano-and-strings
>>
>>60340293
answer my question you scrub
>>
>>60340003
>>60340087
Sounds like Kanye to me
>>
thoughts on Young Thug???
>>
>>60339871
Who's better than Madlib? Think hard
>>
>>60340492
I linked the second part of the question in the post above yours hombre. That article will help the most
>>
>>60340185
Yeezus :^)
But try Alec Empire. I like them.
>>
Looking for rap with some heavy bass-slapping. Kinda like A tribe Called Quest.
>>
>>60340522
Catchy music. Shit lyricist. Something you only want to hear in the club really if you can tolerate it. He's Birdman's new bitch as well and he confuses me because I don't even know if he's serious about all this gay shit.
>>
>>60340537
Ask me in 10 years and I could answer it.
>>
>>60340407
last.fm?
>>
>>60340636
KRS ONE - step into a world
Ghostface Killah - winter warz
Most of the stuff from Wu Tang Forever is what you'd like. Same thing with Liquid sword's by GZA
Joell Ortiz - Hip Hop
Joell Ortiz - Brooklyn Bullshit
It's not as chill as tribe but it would get you started
>>
>>60340825
>>60340636
I'd also try out Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing and Das Efx - Dead Serious.
>>
>>60339954
Kill The Vultures
>>
>>60339954
First Archive record (Londinium)

>>60339871
how much do you know about Polish experimental hip hop? (Niwea, Syny, NaPszykłat)
>>
>>60340874
ELDO is the one. I've listened to a bit of O.S.T.R too
>>
>>60340874
>>60340922
But apart from those two, not too much experimental
>>
>>60340088
shouldn't be hard to "crowd source" it, I have limited knowledge of hip hop and can name about 10% of what's in that pic. i think 5 guys tops could fill this up easily
>>
>>60340873
Already know about them too. I don't think much of their music is improvised.
>>
>>60339871
>I know nearly everything about hip hop
>only listens to memerap
>>
>>60340666
devil trips of plebdom
if you dont fuck with thugger all your opnions on hip hop are invalid
>>
>>60341071
Nice bait
>>
>>60339871
y u listen to music that is LITTARELLY just the word nigga said to a beat #fuckthis generation
>>
>>60341104
>implying every song says the word 'nigga'
>>
>>60340666
PREECH nig PREECH
>>
>>60341208
I am Yeezus
>>
>>60340003
Would be crazy if Kanye did something like this guy's >>60340003 idea

no electronics, just pure orchestral hip hop
>>
>>60341305
He has. Listen to the Late Orchestration album
>>
>>60341369
holy shit ye

I'm thinking even further out than that, like 'rapping' over Brahms type shit. Only Kanye could do this
>>
>>60341087
it's true
>>
Do you think the Vestax Controller One designed by Ricci has potential as a turntablism method to rival the Technics SL1210 models and do you see the progression in the combined advanced instrumentation method has a future within the hip hop style or is it Too overly ambitious?

Will the newly designed Intel microcomputer technology designed by Bay Areas Richard Quietivis improve live performances and heighten the technical prowess and ability to perfom directly in the booth or will more traditional methods remain true?

Do you agree with Lucas and Josh regards the progression and attitudes taken by Rob Swift and coversely Shortkut, D-Styles and Flare that a more modernistic approach to the DMC championship style turntablism playing styles that embracing newer technology is a natural progression or should a more drum based approach be taken?

What is your favourite relleases on the UBB and DF and the obvious SB releases and your top five essential roots drum breaks from each?

Was the Mo' Wax stylings of early Krush, Shadow, Nigo, Major Force West overshadowed and ultimately lowered in quality with the Bristol uprising or was Lavelles musical style inevitable for the crew and label?

>>60341305
Still plenty of electronics but ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S-aVCbiA-s
>>
File: folder.jpg (654 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
654 KB, 1000x1000
>>60341475
Oh, and this

G. Prokofiev Concerto for Turntables is the result of the successful synthesis of strange bedfellows; hip hop and classical orchestral music, "the Concerto For Turntables & Orchestra was borne to explore the tradition of cross pollination between art music and folk/dance idioms...", much more than generic string arrangements set to dance beats, the different styles are blended interestingly with it often being difficult to determine sample/turntable from orchestra until a section of instruments are abruptly scratched, distorted, looped, or otherwise interfered with, the sounds are characterized by unique rhythmic qualities and dense, carefully arranged compositions.
>>
>>60341475
Both are cool but I dunno, they kinda just sound like downtempo to me. This is still hip hop beats but with classical samples. Imagine something that's very clearly classical music but with elements of hip hop vocalization.

Something like these kind of vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsJ7Dw5wxWs

over this kind of music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzse5IrIi4E

spoken word classical almost
>>
>>60339871
Is that pic all your favorite albums?
>>
>>60341705
Nah man just a relatable pic
>>
posting this because goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ZGIQ4VU-k
>>
>>60341475
I think they can really contend and push the market. I don't see it as ambitious, just different. I think it can sustain. We will have to wait and see
In the booth yes it will help but as much as people don't want to see traditional methods die out in the mainstream and to some degree, the underground, I think people will use more modern tech which leads me into the DMC Championships. People are going to have to accept the new tech or at least give it a shot.
I don't have top fives, I just bump what I'm really into at different points in time.
Im conflicted on the matter with Mo' Wax matter so I can't give a good answer. It's arguable either way.
>>
File: 1447340864703.png (347 KB, 891x833) Image search: [Google]
1447340864703.png
347 KB, 891x833
>>60339871
Seeing how hip hop is a reggae subgenre, do you listen to much Jamaican music?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.