[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This man killed music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: bowie_on_tour.jpg (205 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bowie_on_tour.jpg
205 KB, 1000x1000
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena, however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.
Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Each element of his art is the emblem of a true artistic movement however, the ensemble of those emblems constitutes no more than a puzzle, no matter how intriguing, of symbols, a roll of incoherent images projected against the wall at twice the speed, a dictionary of terms rather than a poem, and, in the best of hypotheses, a documentary of the cultural fads of his era. Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.
>>
Wow, what high school newspaper did you right that for?
>>
>>60338815
8.5 best new meme
>>
File: fact.png (1 MB, 1254x996) Image search: [Google]
fact.png
1 MB, 1254x996
>>60338846
One thats been deemed the greatest web site of all time by the new york times
>>
>>60338874
A website with a design that horrendous can't possibly be called 'best' by anyone
>>
>>60338909
>caring about the look of something more than its content
hi bowie :^)
>>
>>60338815
Great there's another pasta scaruffi meme about another musician I like

Kill yourself
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-12+at+03.22.41).png (3 KB, 631x19) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-12+at+03.22.41).png
3 KB, 631x19
>>60338815
but he gave Low a 7 and "Heroes" a 7.5, those are both considered good scores in Scaruffi land
>>
But I don't even know what Bowie's "image" is and I'm a big fan. I'm not a music video guy at all, I just dig his music.
>>
*hides thread*
>>
>>60339095
well heroes was heavily collaborative so it is probably in spite of bowie that that album is good in scaruffiland
>>
>>60338815
So you've figured out that Bowie is the patron saint of hacks, good job, have a cookie.
>>
>>60338846
>right
>>
nice meme faggot
>>
>>60338874
I bet they tried to hire Christgau and he was like "yeh nah". So they endrosed scruffles.

That said, stil a GOT website
>>
Scarruffi es actually right about this.
>>
>>60338846
>right
>>
>studio musicians enter studio
>David Bowie is behind the mixer, smoking and drinking
>'OI LADS, PLAY ME SOME MINT TUNES.'
>studio musicians play their tracks on the spot and out of thin air
>'OI THAT SOUND BLOODY MINT, I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO NAME THIS PARTICULAR PIECE OF WORK 'HEROES', NOW FUCK OFF LADS'
>>
we did this last night
>>
>>60341730
your mom fagg lol
>>
>>60338815
> it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music

I never watched a single show/clip of his, but still, I love his music.

But in my opinion, he's a great musician and music creator, but a horrible singer. My favorite musics from him are remade versions by other people. Space Oddity was good because of the background singer
>>
>>60342698
You love his music because you were conditioned to by the media
>>
>>60342726
I barely heard about him when I was younger, and I always considered him a stupid "abstract" musician. Until I heard his music
>>
>>60342078
>>
>>60342742
this is not true, by the way
>>
>>60343246
I live in a third-world country, nobody here ever heard of Bowie
>>
>>60343411
I live in Mexico and my mum knows about Bowie. My grandma was a fan, apparently. But I have a rad grandma, she was into Metallica.
>>
>>60343481
I have a friend who's into all kind of rock, power metal, thrash metal, heavy metal, but he only heard of Bowie when I sent him his musics
>>
>>60341714

"Pond box....then I died" - Drake, Take Care.
>>
>>60344490

http://youtu.be/GxtzsPkpfMA
>>
>>60341714
it's funny cause this almost literally describes what pop artists like Kanye West and Katy Perry do. A bunch of ghost producers and song writers make stuff for them and they choose which they like best and put lyrics to it.
>>
I love bowie but I think most of his music sucks, it's the same kind of generic garbage that the stones liked to pump out. All he did was market Velvet Underground tunes more effectively, scaruffis pasta is pretentious but it's not inaccurate.

Love the dude as a dude and performer but I don't understand the hype for a lot of it.
>>
>>60338860
>Implying this hasn't been posted beforewith the Scaruffi picture...
>>
who the fuck is bowie
>>
love this meme, better than beatles pasta
>>
File: cbowk.jpg (441 KB, 3360x2288) Image search: [Google]
cbowk.jpg
441 KB, 3360x2288
>>
>>60346714
I bet he trains in a moss garden
>>
>>60338909
>>60338929
REKT
>>
>>60338815
Kill yourself
>>
>>60338846
Maybe you should go back to highschool to learn to right.
>>
File: peter and the wolf.jpg (34 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
peter and the wolf.jpg
34 KB, 400x398
How could this man kill music?
>>
File: 1446158220664.jpg (630 KB, 1400x1993) Image search: [Google]
1446158220664.jpg
630 KB, 1400x1993
>>60344718
>pop artists like Kanye West and Katy Perry
>Grouping these two together as though they're the same
>under the extremely broad label of "pop"

Good christ.

While it's true that Kanye does work with multiple producers over the course of making an album, he himself is a phenomenal hip-hop producer (after all, he got his initial buzz from producing Jay-Z) and is heavily involved in the creation of his albums. You are unbelievably ignorant it's frankly embarrassing.
>>
>>60339095
actually scaruffi's older albums used to have higher scores. He would give albums 7's if he just thought they were okay.

Now he gives 7's to things he likes.
>>
Huyucc
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.