[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>both released September 23, 1991 Did Nirvana win out over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 908345.jpg (541 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
908345.jpg
541 KB, 2000x1000
>both released September 23, 1991
Did Nirvana win out over the Pixies this time? Was this a passing of the torch moment, or will Frank forever be better than Kurt was?
>>
Bait
>>
Trompe Le Monde > Nevermind
>>
>>60327878
well that's just wrong
>>
>>60327172
I love the pixies but trompe Le Monde sucks
>>
Yeah, passing of the torch.
Personally, I'd be pissed if I was Frank Black. It's almost like his career and place in history revolves around Kurt Cobain.
>>
>>60330043
I wouldn't say it sucks but it doesn't come anywhere close to Doolittle or surfer rosa imo. I still enjoy it though
>>
>He started heading for the motorwaaaaaaaay
I like Trompe Le Monde

>Did Nirvana win out over the Pixies?
I listen to the Pixies more often than I listen to Nirvana, for whatever that's worth
>>
>We went to the store and bought something great
>Which samples this song, from Washington state

Best "fuck you" moment in music history. Right on the opening track too.
>>
>>60327172
my birthday
>>
I listened to a frank black interview from the 2000s with some german outlet, and the periscope chat posted to youtube last month. He is a really strange fellow. Is he retarded?
>>
>>60331239
He hates being interviewed, so I wouldn't base any opinion on him as a person on what you've seen in an interview.
>>
both suffer from being overproduced, but overall nevermind wins for better songs/performance.

however, i'm not a big fan of doolittle, in fact, i've always hated the production on it, and that it ran too long/too many imho filler tracks.

bossanova is imho their best album. in utero for nirvana.
>>
>>60331209
holy shit I legitimately never caught that before
>>
Pixies without Kim were/are terrible.

everything by The Breeders > Nevermind > Trompe le Monde
>>
>>60331802
>Pixies without Kim
Uhhh, she was there for Trompe you abject retard.
>>
>>60331806
yeah but she had little impact on that album if i remember correctly. franks ego took over and it eventually lead to her leaving the pixies.
>>
>>60331863
She had little impact on any of their albums. She wrote all of 2 Pixies songs: Gigantic and Silver. She wanted more of a role in the band, Frank wanted it to be an autocracy, and that contributed to the band eventually dissolving (which he effectuated by fax), but she was not a major contributor to any of their albums from a songwriting standpoint.
>>
>>60331261
How can I reasonably form an opinion of him then when I don't know him personally? Through his lyrics? He seems to like science fiction, sex, and Rain Man things like acrostics and music theory.

I think he might be partially retarded
>>
nevermind was better but of course Frank will forever be better than Kurt was
>>
frank was the cutest fat musician there ever has been imo desu senpai
>>
>>60330043
the only terrible pixies album is bossanova, and even that isn't terrible, but any band could have played that and nothing would have changend

except for havalina, stormy weather and cecilia ann, they're the only very good tracks in there
>>
>>60331209
I don't get it
>>
>>60332067
The Happening? Down to the Well? Velouria? Not one of those songs would be the same without Charles' voice and signature songwriting style.
>>
>>60332078
Nirvana is from Seattle, Washington. Albums dropped on the same day. Nirvana was widely seen as a Pixies rip off (including by Cobain himself). That line is calling out Nirvana for ripping off Pixies.
>>
>>60332079
desu I was thinking more about hooks/song structures/etc but you have a point, your comment made me want to give it another listen after 5 years
>>
>>60332089
Ahh, that's what I thought, but I was under the impression that Nirvana wasn't really that well known until Nevermind.
>>
>>60332046
Is it just me or is it impossible to take fat musicians seriously?
>>
>>60332142
just you senpai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPTeFta4lw
>>
File: sadkurt.gif (491 KB, 498x391) Image search: [Google]
sadkurt.gif
491 KB, 498x391
>>60332089
>Kurt never got to write his own song about cheating on your husband for big black cock
>>
>>60332067
This man is a liar.
>>
>>60332046
D.Boon
>>
>>60332196
Could be, but I'm listening to it again now and it still is my least favourite pixies album senpai, it's much less "static" than I remembered though desu
>>
>>60332283
He was being cheeky. It's a lyric from Hangwire.
>>
File: exopolZZZZZZZK_10.jpg (13 KB, 302x400) Image search: [Google]
exopolZZZZZZZK_10.jpg
13 KB, 302x400
>>60332299
didn't get it desu
>>
masterful entry followed by a bunch of shit, then death
>>
>Was this a passing of the torch moment

Damn... like pottery
>>
File: skull-tiki-torch-glamour[1].jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
skull-tiki-torch-glamour[1].jpg
120 KB, 600x600
>>60332748
>>
>>60330043
>I love the pixies but trompe Le Monde sucks
This is paradoxical

If you loved The Pixies, you'd love Trompe Le Monde. It's their second-best behind Bossanova.

>>60332067
Pleb

>>60332196
The day is like a warm night -- salt rusts the cold line.
One of their best. I get chills every time.
>>
>>60332067
>Dig for Fire
>Hang Wire
>Velouria
>Allison
>Rock Music

Some of their most raw stuff, especially Rock Music and Hang Wire.

Just accept you're not a Pixies fan.
>>
>>60333043
>Just accept you're not a Pixies fan

will do desu
>>
>>60333079
Thank u senpai
>>
>>60333090
np

memes aside I hope I'll get bossanova, it's the only album I don't really like that much
>>
>>60333124
Both Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde were the biggest growers for me.

I've been listening to the Pixies for 15 years or so. Doolittle was my first introduction to them, then Surfer Rosa and Come On Pilgrim. At first I didn't like either TLM or Bossanova, but they've been the albums I've kept coming back to over and over again. There's just so much raw stuff on there and the tracks are more expansive than the earlier stuff -- A track like "All over the World" is just hypnotic. "Hang Wire" is also the rawest thing they ever did.
>>
I've listened to the entire pixies discography and i honestly can't say that i liked a single song. It was playing in the background but i was attentive to it. Should i give it another try? I like every song by nirvarna
>>
>>60333433
pixies is definitely one of those "listen till you like it bands". and you will
>>
>>60332067
>>60332079
how can you not like ana goddamn
>>
>>60333433
>Should i give it another try? I like every song by nirvarna

idk do what you want dude, you are an enigma
>>
>>60333433
I don't know how that's possible. But yeah, definitely worth another try. At least Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. I'd say Come on Pilgrim too but that seems to be a 'for fans only' sort of thing. And try to listen more actively this time. And if you're still not into it, I don't know. Guess you could just chalk it up to their music not being your thing.

>>60333823
Do people actually do that?
>>
>>60334369
Everytime I revisit Pixies, I like them a little more. I found them cool but slightly annoying at the beginning. Now I like them more than Nirvana, and Nirvana was my first musical love.
>>
>>60333433
>It was playing in the background but i was attentive to it
This sounds like an oxymoron.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.