[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is trash. Animals is the only good song. Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5
File: 39602-garden-of-delete.jpg (26 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
39602-garden-of-delete.jpg
26 KB, 500x499
This album is trash. Animals is the only good song. Prove me wrong.
>>
You have shit taste.
>>
ok i figure this is bait but let's actually talk about this for a sec. i *actually* think this album is pretty shitty and genuinely don't understand the appeal. i wasn't surprised that p4k gave it BNM or whatever but other music sites are going the same way and im just wondering what people find is the appeal. im not a drone so it's not like i'm changing my opinion but i do want to know what others are getting out of this that i'm not.
>>
what? mutant standard is fucking great as with the rest of the album
>>
i'm >>60323726

>>60323750
i like mutant standard a lot, but it's pretty much the only one. the others have nice portions occasionally but they are usually outweighed by the shittiness of other parts of the album (the garbage that is "sticky drama")
>>
Definitely not "trash" but it really, really isn't doing it for me. Oh well, his last two were incredible and Rifts is GOAT as fuck so I'm not mad, he's done enough for me.
>>
>>60323726
as a fan of boundary-pushing electronic music and even the most "mainstream" crop of them that you could pick (Ferraro, Sean Bowie, etc.) I've always found Lopatin the most lacking. i've found a couple OPN albums good, but this one was fairly mediocre. i would say to try his other stuff if you haven't, but he's really not the most interesting of the group. i think what most people like about him is he doesn't seem to have a gimmick or something, which is easily applied to a small bit of Ferraro's work, for example, by people who only have dabbled into his headline releases (his influence on vaporwave through, say, Far Side Virtual). that's understandable, but he also doesn't have like a thing that he does well that wasn't just as boring when Aphex Twin was doing it (minimal, sterilized beats). i've always found Arca, Rabit, and that whole grimier, club-oriented scene much more interesting than Lopatin's sanitized IDM

tl;dr: new age of rockists trying to look smart listening to excessively minimal electronic music outside of context because they won't listen to much of anything really left field
>>
>>60323994
P.S. it also helps that Lopatin does all the intellectualizing of his own music for audiences; it's similar to the Death Grips effect (though more sincere and less fratty in his case, i guess) where if you wax philosophic about your own work, people whose depth of art criticism understanding is that art critics are looking for the "real" intention behind "complicated" works of art will lap that shit up 'cause it lets them essentially paint by numbers with their own analyses of your music.
>>
>>60323994
>>60324035
totally agree, esp. with that you say about people listening to this who wouldn't actually listen to anything else left field. but i strongly disagree about the gimmick. in the past he's been chill, but lately i think everything he's been up to is getting WAY to his head and the way he philosophizes about his music is so pretentious it makes me want to vomit, and he should be registered as a sex offender for the whole weird-ass PR shit he did for this album because that was straight up public masturbation just sayin. of course none of that necessarily has an effect on whether the music itself is good or bad, but i do independently of that find it way sub-par compared to his earlier stuff
>>
>>60323994
also this is why i was so surprised TMT gave this like a 4.5/5 or something, cause they usually know what they're talking about with left-field electronic
>>
>>60324182
i guess i should have said audible gimmick from the perspective of someone whose only exposure to left field is Lopatin. totally agree his open mansplaining of his own records to his core audience is definitely a gimmick. he's almost as bad as Father John Misty lmao. i'm not aware of the marketing campaign for this album 'cause i stopped giving a shit a long time ago and just grab the leaks of his albums. interested in links you have that explain, though.
>>
>>60323994
>i've always found Arca, Rabit, and that whole grimier, club-oriented scene much more interesting than Lopatin's sanitized IDM

Any recommendation for similar artists in this category? Really liked Arca and Rabit's latest releases, and I have the most recent albums from M.E.S.H. and Visionist in my backlog, if one could consider those in the same spectrum.
>>
>>60324217
well, we must keep in mind that TMT kind of dickrides all left field electronic and doesn't discriminate SUPER well. 2011 they suddenly went from thinking Kanye West and Big Boi were major shakers to being all vaporwave all the time. it was sort of an embarrassing, abrupt transition. they've gotten better over the past few years, but they still have a weakness for some pretty lame stuff.
>>
reddit has invaded
>>
>>60323647
it literally sounds like CoD montage music
>>
>>60324035
>it also helps that Lopatin does all the intellectualizing of his own music for audiences
I actually really like 0PN (not so much this album) but I can't help but sort of agree with this statement. I remember asking what people found special about him/why they found him appealing (back when I was first getting into him) and so many of the answers were like "well if you read this interview with Dan...." or "have you seen his RBMA vide where he says so and so" and it's just like, hmm. I get not having a formalist approach to evaluating - imo context is super important - but it should also be able to stand on it's own.
>>
>>60324259
Adam Harper's column for the Fader usually has good recommendations - Angel-Ho and Chino Amobi are two i found from one of his most recent entries. he also covered Elysia Crampton back when she was going by E+E for his epic collage entry, and her newest is worth checking out. Faithful and Lotic are also good artists with a slew of good releases. Lotic actually has a new EP on the way at the end of this week.
>>
>>60323994
OPN is bad, but t b h I don't find Arca much better as of late.
>>
>>60324312
Heterocetera was fucking nutty, really loving everything tied to Janus. I'll give those other folks a listen though, thanks for the rec.
>>
>>60324291
EXACTLY. like, i totally agree that an artist should be able to make seamless sounding sample-based music and blur the lines between composition and sample or whatever, but when a large part of the appeal of some of your music is the process you go through to make it and you're constantly explaining it because it doesn't sound like it required that process, it's kind of a roundabout way of culling critical favor. like, Replica is cool in part because you can hear that it's this weird, sample-based percussion and you can kind of react to why exactly he decided to chop up all those vocal samples the way he did, and it's fun to listen to with that in mind. increasingly, his music is just sort of harmless ambient IDM that finds its appeal in these extra-musical narratives, politics, etc. all these other people that have come up in this thread make that viscerally in their sound. you can listen to an Angel-Ho mix and hear the violent tensions within it within a minute! that's not to say that being up front and transparent is the only way to be a good artist, but there's a balance you need to strike. Lopatin fails at that for me.
>>
>>60324233
from wiki:
Garden of Delete was announced in August 2015 via a series of enigmatic internet posts originating from Lopatin's website, including a cryptic PDF letter to his fans, a blog interview with a mysterious alien collaborator named Ezra, and a website attributed to fictional lost "hypergrunge" band Kaoss Edge.[3][4] The promotional campaign would also include several related Twitter accounts, recordings, and weblogs (with posts dating back to 1994) to corroborate a loose fictional backstory over the following weeks.

also
http://pitchfork.com/news/60834-oneohtrix-point-never-announces-new-album-garden-of-delete-via-internet-rabbit-hole/

>>60324259
this might not be what you're looking for, but FKA twigs' latest EP is produced in collab with producer Boots and it's really good if you ask me, with production right around the alley you're looking for believe it or not... a lot better than you'd expect imo
>>
>>60324341
i much prefer the early glitch hop stuff myself and thought Xen and Sheep were only really find for a listen or so, but I've really been excited about his newest. seems like people are kinda split on their reaction to it, though, at least in circles I run in. seems like Xen fans aren't into it, Xen haters are, and everyone just wants him to make Stretch 2 over and over
>>
>>60324287
how so
>>
>>60324406
oh, so you were just joking with the public masturbation cause it was intricate. i had heard about all that. i thought you meant he literally had some form of indecent exposure associated with it (like that recent Viper scandal with his promo campaigns)
>>
>>60324449
ohh hahaha nah lmfao that would have been interesting... btw did viper ever get arrested?
>>
>>60324500
i just heard about Nmesh breaking ties with him, nothing about an arrest. i'm not sure what charges you can bring against a guy who does performances all the time through his YouTube channel unless one of the girls went and testified, which i think would be difficult given their alleged roles as prostitutes.
>>
Poor man's Mutant by Arca
>>
>>60323647
>Prove my entirely subjective opinion wrong

ok
>>
>>60323647
I don't think it was trash, but def my least favorite OPN album, coming from a big fan. It's his most "tuneful" and sonically immediate album, but that's not what I go to OPN for. OPN has a undeniable talent for creating really abstract, leftfield soundscapes, and he completely abandoned that with this album. Some may find that commendable and some may view this album as a standout--something different than his usual output--and I can def understand that. But it really just left me underwhelmed. Found the whole thing to be really predicable, boring, and lacking the trademark OPN vibe I love.
>>
>>60324674
this is a very precise representation of my feelings about this album... i also appreciate that he didn't stick to a formula, i guess, and this certainly does "stand out," but that doesn't necessarily make it good, as you would seem to agree.
>>
>>60323647
I loved Garden, and I'll try and explain why:

>>60323994
Here you seem to say that Garden of Delete is minimal, which makes me wonder if we're even listening to the same album: it's his least minimal album to date. Just about every track is packed with detail, the composition is almost hyperactive, where it will switch between one melody and then move to the next. Try listening to the vocals on GoD, it's clear that it's not just a vocaloid, Dan puts tons of effort in making a robotic voice sound human, with stuttering, adolescent vocal breaks, etc. Not minimal in the least.

>>60324035
I see what you're saying here. But I think Dan gets inspired by random things (in GoD's case, teenaged angst, nu-metal, EDM, LARPing) and is articulate enough to explain where he's coming from

>>60324182
>public masturbation
it's just an ARG, which is nothing new. Dan sort of created characters and a constructed world for his album to exist in. If anyone's curious they can check it out, but it's not essential to understanding or enjoying the album. It's just a loose concept album, nothing new or particularly masturbatory

>>60324233
>mansplaining

>>60324389
>harmless ambient IDM
have you listened to GoD? tracks like SDFK and the echojam are ambient, but nothing else is, and it's hardly "harmless", harmless music doesn't take some of the most kitschy/maligned/commonly-regarded-as-utter-dogshit music as inspiration

ultimately you can ignore all the philosophizing and ARG stuff and listen to the music, which has great melodies and textures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBP3otlHTAA
>>
>>60324899
> the vocals on GoD
was not a fan for the most part. especially when he does that dumbass skrillex edm redux effect that sounds trashy as hell.

> uses kitschy/regarded-as-dogshit music as inspiration
this could have yielded some interesting effects; it's essentially the same idea behind vaporwave, right? but i don't think he pulled it off right. the one golden moment where i think he nailed it was in "Mutant Standard," especially around the 5:00 mark. but the rest of the album feels like it incorporates those kitschy motifs without sufficiently justifying them, so that it doesn't sound "deep"... just plain kitschy

> not minimal / ambient idm
i agree that it's not... i think they were referencing his typical style, which i agree he diverged from here
>>
>>60325216
>sounds trashy as hell
I think that's OPN's point (and I don't mean this in a "I'm only pretending to be retarded" sense).

I think OPN's big motif that can be seen on Replica, R+7 and GoD, is that certain sounds have cultural significance that biases the perception of that sound. He's all about taking sounds that are seen as trashy or ugly or facile and making them beautiful by decontextualizing them. is an air horn inherently ugly? is the sound of midi saxophone inherently cheesy? he's distances sounds from their conventional perception
>>
No one cares. Go jerk somewhere else over your opinion, Fantanodrone.
>>
>>60325493
i want to disagree somehow, but i guess you're right. it's weird because i love vaporwave and it totally works for me within that genre, but when he does it here with metal/edm sounds or whatever is going on, it doesn't sound nearly as good or seems nearly as musically/conceptually interesting as "Replica" did. i guess it just comes down to personal taste at this point.
>>
>>60324899
>i'll try to explain why
>gives negative statements against a couple of detractors

can you please articulate a reason why it's good instead of reasons why we're wrong?
>>
>>60325493
a lot of early sample music was like this
art of noise, depeche mode etc
before most people started sampling records instead
>>
>>60325493
right, but he's not the only one doing this. it's also fucking stupid to sanitize cultural relics that are supposed to be "trashy" and "elevate" them if you're talking about fucking air horns. this is how i know OPN fans don't actually listen to much club music. shit's from Jamaican dancehall music. shit's been used in a zillion different contexts. Lopatin isn't some savior of the air horn. it's not interesting for him to decontextualize random chopped up bits of these genres at all if the final sonic result is just "look, i can make my weird, cut-up electronic music that barely maintains audience focus, but with samples from EDM and Metal!" there's plenty of artists who actually incorporate the ethos of these genres, either to subvert or celebrate in new contexts. Lopatin projects himself as a special snowflake who does these things so his audience has a "reason" to like what are ultimately bland compositions.
>>
>>60325684
>air horns...Jamaican dancehall
>zillion different contexts
the latter is what I'm referring to. air horns have become something of a meme lately; have you seen montage parodies, and the tracks where people replace every note in a song with an air horn, generally to imply that the source material is somehow insipid or trite (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1qXQRpF08E)
I don't think Lopatin is positioning himself as the savior of the air horn (air horns never pop up in GoD or R+7, I was using that sound as an example of maligned sounds that don't deserve to be maligned) or the savior of any other sound or cultural tidbit, I think he just acknowledges the cultural plasticity of sound. you said it yourself, the air horn was a dancehall thing, and it's taken on a million different cultural meanings, and now people think it's somehow discredited because people put it montage paroides (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piw3sCcFG8).

>not interesting to decontextualize
>sanitize
I don't think he's trying to depict sound pure of all cultural meaning (although I disagree that that would be boring, if he did). Lopatin does "incorporate the ethos of these genres...to subvert or celebrate new contexts". He does this all over GoD.
Animals pits nightcore vocals against a psuedo-medieval dungeon ballad.
Sticky Drama pits modern EDM against death metal.
The new context is adolescence. he takes all these tidbits, that might at first seem totally disparate, and unites them under one theme. it's not even remotely sanitized.
>>
>>60326029
again, though, anyone who cares about sample-based music has understood the "cultural plasticity of signifiers" since sample-based music began. just because Lopatin wants to intellectualize the sampling process doesn't make him some unique visionary. it just makes him louder and better at posturing and self-promotion.

i agree with and appreciate your evaluation of the thematic content of G.o.D., and I'll concede that i haven't given it enough time to germinate because i found the sounds themselves completely fucking boring. he's competent at assembling a theme and has been for awhile. i just think that Lopatin's main strength is in finding fun(ny) juxtapositions and little ironic phrases (he fucking invented vaporwave), and he rarely takes these things to a level beyond meta-commentary. he never elevates the material of "adolescence" to be some general statement about adolescence. it's just this way of assembling young, white, male angst (not going SJW here, just identifying clearly what he's into) into some different context with no further message than "this is what your brain sounds like on Monster energy drinks" or some other boring pomo statement that ultimately means nothing. it's hollow music, and i think he knows that, titling it GOD. i just don't think intentionally making hollow music makes it more interesting.

also, i think you're really stretching to call metal, medieval dungeon ballads, EDM, etc. as truly disparate. one second on /b/ or even just asking for someone's stereotype of a neckbeard, and these things come up. this isn't uniting things that aren't usually lumped together in Internet culture. it's just doing that for people who don't spend time on 4chan/sites frequented by people who cut their teeth on 4chan and don't listen to electronic music.
>>
so is like opn not allowed in 4chan or something?
>>
Man it's crazy how much of a hive mind mu can be with Oneohtrix. People were going apeshit on R+7 for over a year and once a view negative threads come out about GOD everyone just says yea I don't like it. Without any reasoning behind it
>>
File: jean paul sartre.jpg (21 KB, 380x247) Image search: [Google]
jean paul sartre.jpg
21 KB, 380x247
>>60326458
>without any reasoning
>several multi-paragraph posts explaining my perspective
>>
>>60326458
>without any reasoning
Have you been reading the same thread eveyrone else has or
>>
>>60326171
>anyone who cares about sample-based music has understood the "cultural plasticity of signifiers" since sample-based music began
Absolutely, that's been the philosophy ever since musique concrete. But 2 things make Lopatin's music a bit different:

1. The subject matter of his samples. Aside from James Ferarro and OPN (and all their imitators), I haven't seen any classic plunderphonics artists sample sounds perceived to be cliche or trite. OPN (and James) specifically seek these out, which is significant because...

2. The internet has changed culture. I was reading an interview with Giant Claw, and he said something about how we live in an age where people binge listen on SoundCloud, and they might listen to the first 5 seconds before hearing the "wrong sound", that indicates the track is from a genre the listener doesn't like, and the track gets skipped. Culture has sped up exponentially from the days of musique concrete and hip hop. Sounds take on meaning faster, and shed that meaning faster. I think OPN, more than most other sample-based artists, tries to depict this.

>this is what your brain sounds like on Monster energy drinks

I'm curious to know how old you are, because I'm betting that you're older than me. I'm 18 and listening to GoD is intensely relatable. It's "take" on adolescence is murky and emotive, so it's hard to articulate; but I remember growing up and being surrounded by nu-metal, and seeing hot-topics at the mall, all the angular logos and the edgy screaming. And it's weird, because I'm just smart enough to realize how silly it is, on an intellectual level, but on an hormonal angsty teen emotive level, I can relate to even the silliest, melodramatic nu-metal hot-topic core. so GoD is kind of a wild ride for me.

> fun(ny) juxtapositions and little ironic phrases
you seem to imply that this a shallow skill to have, but GoD it takes on a higher meaning, one where you can acknowledge the melodrama but still feel affected.
>>
>>60326519
>Lopatin is different
i mean, John Oswald's whole perspective was that pop music was this sort of simultaneous kitsch and art thing, and his whole point was to re-energize it. i think Plunderphonics has almost always relied on kitsch by one definition or another. i actually have a hard time thinking of Plunderphonics artists specifically who don't deal in neoliberal capitalist debitage. i also think this "hyperactive reality" "meaning is constructed faster" nonsense is just the latest version of the same sentiments that were being put forward in the '80s about television. these observations are not new, and this higher "ADD" rate hasn't really been demonstrated so much as diagnosed. i don't think these problems are anything to scoff at; they're just not new, and OPN certainly doesn't bring anything new to the table with them.

>adolescence i'm 18
i'm 20, so i relate in the same way, but i think 1. as a political project it's important to realize that "our" adolescence isn't "everyone's" adolescence. most of the people who participate in underground dance cultures, for example, would likely not relate to suburban white angst. there's nothing wrong with composing what you know, of course, and i would never fault Lopatin just for that. again, not trying to go SJW on him. my only point is that he essentially just makes a collage for millennials. it's cool if ur into it, and i understand why. i just don't like my art to be so of its moment. or if it is, i want it to have unique and specific commentary. there's no commentary here, just presentation in a slightly different way. that's why i think he's posturing - he wants to tell us how plastic these signifiers are, and all he's really doing is using fancy enough language that Pitchfork will BNM an album with some EDM and nu-metal samples on it. that's not really the height of culture-jamming that Plunderphonics was in the past, but to hear Lopatin and his fans talk about it, that's a big part of the appeal.
>>
>>60326519
>shallow skill
not necessarily. i think Lopatin is talented. i just think he puts his skill to poor use because of an incredibly arrogant, naive viewpoint. i really don't understand what message is coming out of this besides "this is art because i present it as such and you feel something." people feel things from the original kitsch too. to take Lopatin's project seriously as innovative, you have to already have a specific view of culture. Lopatin recenters the Artist-with-a-capital-A in artistic discourse by implying that he holds the keys to making these sounds "respectable," i.e. to make sounds that couldn't possibly affect someone affect them.

sure, the argument can be made that he's tricked people into listening to a nu-metal album or something, but he spends so much time armchair philosophizing that they're really not listening to that product at all. there's never the same kind of like aura of the original music inserted as, say, when Elysia Crampton confronts her listeners with crunk music, high compression, etc.
>>
this album is fucking great

I really didn't like sticky drama til I read the lyrics and then the song got better.

Can't wait to have this baby on vinyl with the rest of danny's stuff. This man is doing good things in music.
>>
File: cover.jpg (92 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
92 KB, 1400x1400
Dan's latest work is pretty good, but Ash Koosha is blowing him out of the water with this album.
>>
i'm having trouble understanding /mu/'s obsession with this caricature of a musician. he's literally struggling to come up with an idea, even since his earliest musical days. it's all poor, his efforts. cheap, uneventful, but just enough shiny for /mu/ standards, i guess.
>>
>>60326688
>neoliberal capitalist debitage
I haven't listened to much plunderphonics so maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but the plunderphonics I've listened to and enjoyed (Negativland, Avalanches, DJ Shadow, D/P/I) don't seem to take the same angle as OPN. I'll have to check out John Oswald though.

>hyperactive reality
>meaning is constructed faster
>ADD rates
I didn't really say or imply any of this though (and I didn't live through the 80s so I wouldn't know anything about the television argument) .
That being said, take a look at Vine and Snapchat. Both are based around taking a small snapshot of a thing and remixing it and putting it under tons of new contexts. (I recall seeing someone take the "What're those!?" quote and remix it into the Jurassic Park theme song)
Television is still firmly within the hands of huge companies; it is dictated by corporate interests and can't be a true reflection of our culture, whereas the internet is in the hands of basically everyone, naturally things move faster. Every day at school there's a new in joke that everyone's in on, and the very next day it's gone, and it's lame.

>there's no commentary here
I don't know about that. GoD doesn't offer some huge philosophical treatise about the nature of adolescence in our society, sure; but it does sort of depict with a lot of honesty, in emotive terms.

>opatin recenters the Artist-with-a-capital-A in artistic discourse by implying that he holds the keys to making these sounds "respectable,"
Do you think you're being a bit coy? You've seen people make fun of Linkin Park. You've seen people make fun of Hot Topic. You've seen people post angsty anime fan-fiction stuff from deviantArt on cringe threads. Our culture collectively sort of laughs at this very real angst and suffering, and Lopatin doesn't so much say:

"when I use these sounds and techniques it's ok because I'm a capital A Artist", it's more like he just depicts things honestly, without derision, without the irony.
>>
just popping in to say that i've enjoyed reading this thread - good arguments on both sides.
>>
>>60326747
I'm grateful I got into this argument with you, because I really liked GoD, and now I think I realize why.

When I hear things like that "crawling in my skin" track by Linkin Park, on one hand, I sort of laugh it off and recognize it as angsty and melodramatic, but on an emotive level, I can appreciate it
>Crawling in my skin
however edgy it may be, it's a reference to feeling uncomfortable in your body, maybe feeling gross, or too tall, or too thin.

So I have this sort of doublethink where I outwardly say something is silly but I still think it's relatable. OPN doesn't try and make these maligned genres "good" because "he's the one doing it", he's depicting that contradiction.

I can listen to GoD and say, yeah, it's all silly and melodramatic, but I can still relate. GoD is all about that disconnect between "kitsch" and "relating to a kitschy" thing
>>
>>60327083
i'm only gonna respond once more cause it seems we just will have to agree to disagree. i invite you to have the last word because i don't really care to take it. all i intend to say with all this is that the things you mention about the wider culture in your second paragraph imply that this is unique to our era. it is not. there's no new commentary being offered by you or Lopatin. we've lived in a "sampling age" (though you can debate the accessibility of technologies for such or quantity of output, sure) since the '80s, as far as mass culture is concerned.

i'm not saying that no one pokes fun at these things. i'm saying many don't. Linkin Park is made fun of by snarky "alternative" people. Hot Topic is derided a bit more widely, but i've seen unironic love for Linkin Park played out by more people than i've seen pour out unironic love for, say, Animal Collective. i get what the point of Lopatin's art is - to make the things that a certain group of people (upper middle class white people typically) approach with an ironic distance into something tangible. cool, but Oswald's been doing the same with "mass culture" for the bookish for decades. again, if you find Lopatin to do it well, more power to you. i'm not Scaruffi - i don't care if someone's the first or the last to do something. i just don't think that Lopatin's commentary and emotive content work on a level higher than demonstration. i also remain unconvinced that there isn't a veneer of snobbery/classism/however far you wanna take it to repurposing kitsch in such a way and making it emotive (as opposed to erecting still further ironic distance for the purpose of analysis and novelty, as in Oswald's political anti-IP works)

thanks for the talk, though!
>>
>>60327199
thanks for the argument man, it's rare have have something so civil like this on /mu/ of all places
>>
>>60324289
This isn't true no matter how much you insist on posting this.
>>
>>60327246
yeah, best extended conversation i've had here in awhile.
>>
As someone who mainly listens to IDM/Braindance, I absolutely loved this album. I wasn't crazy about OPN's earlier work. I enjoyed Returnal and his second Commissions album, but I felt that R+7 and Replica created somber atmospheres and not much else. For me, GoD's composition is a lot more tangible and recognizable than his more ambient works. Something like Mutant Standard could easily pass for a more hectic, sample-based Autechre track. A bunch of people who are acquainted with the whole Leftfield scene are a little alienated by the lowbrow change in style, as well as OPN himself. But I can't help but feel like this was his intention all along. I remember him saying something like: "I want the kid who works at the mall to enjoy this album." I have no idea if he succeeded in that task, but I guess we'll see if Hot Topic will start selling Garden of Delete shirts soon.
>>
>>60323647
Danny posted here on /mu/ saying the leak was the alpha version and that he's overhauling some stuff for the official release.
>>
File: 08 - 3hvlSCZ.jpg (7 KB, 355x396) Image search: [Google]
08 - 3hvlSCZ.jpg
7 KB, 355x396
>>60324406
>http://pitchfork.com/news/60834-oneohtrix-point-never-announces-new-album-garden-of-delete-via-internet-rabbit-hole/
>But we're not in "Chrome Country" any more.
>>
>>60326922
listening to this now and wow
>>
>>60327905
Link post please.
>>
>>60326519
i fucking love giant claw. as >>60323726 i'll say i think that in many ways this guy is leaps and bounds ahead of OPN at his own game.
also gr8 discussion m8eys you've made me proud.
>>
someone link me the fucking album pls
>>
Thanks for the good read, lads. As far as I can tell, the criticisms towards both this album and his previous work seem to stem from disrespect for him as an artist trying to convey something profound, rather than dismissal of his effective use of compositional techniques.

I'm not saying this is an invalid argument just by the way, because it's entirely understandable. This was just interesting for me because although I have listened to and enjoyed a lot of OPN's work, and understood its position relative to how it uses irregular sounds for sampling, I never really bothered to think about it in such an academic fashion as I've just read. Makes for really decent discussion, and I'll be sure to check out all the other, more artistically profound artists you namedropped.

Now for an opinion of my own. The video for Sticky Drama (incl. prelude) is amazing. It's somewhat limited by its immaturity, but its post-modern clash of styles (practical effects vs. heavy post-production editing and more and more) prove that Dan and that other dude he made it with know exactly what the fuck they're doing. I'd like to see more videos from the two of them more than I'd like to hear more new music, that's for sure.
>>
>>60329975
Archive. Will probably have 1-2 seconds of silence between each track.

Still waiting for source for >>60327905.
>>
>tfw this album STILL isn't officially released
>>
>>60330465
A day, probably less.
>>
>>60324259
lotic is great
>>
>>60329975
It's on SoulSeek
>>
>>60327128
This. Thanks a lot guys for the great discussion. Loved reading it and gave me new insights
>>
>>60327905
>>60328606
>>60330354
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S60255192#p60260974
>>
>>60333347
Can anyone confirm if the final version is actually different?
>>
>>60333398
I have it, it's not

if you import the album into iTunes it comes up as being called "Mutant Standards" and not Garden of Delete and the song Mutant Standard is called 106, very strange
>>
>>60333654
Thanx! btw, are the lyrics included with the fysical copy? I couldn't hear them so well and I'm pretty interested in them.
>>
>>60333654
Nice dark hair you edgelord
>>
>>60333654
Hey man, any chance you could upload a rip of the album without the gaps between tracks?
>>
>>60323994
i agree that the context and anti consumer philosophy do add an amount of interest and hype around their music but the real thing that gets them so much of a following is their coverage by p4k and other sites like drowned in sound etc. Id love to get into more leftfield stuff like arca but /bleep/ just feels foreign and uninviting to me as is with most electronic based scenes and they all seem more focused on established scenes and trends rather than forward think type of stuff.
>>
>>60324406
FKA twigs ditched arca on her last ep and had boots imitate his style to make up for it rather than actually do anything new.
>>
>>60333827
yeah second this.

just got the record but didnt come with a dl code
>>
>>60324312
and people say 'liquid grime' wasn't the micor-genre of 2015.
>>
>>60324674
i defnititely agree with this. i much prefer his pre-2010 aesthetic and sounds, but it's just really interesting to see where he takes his style. the compositions remain just as pertinant, if not more intricate and well put together as his previous works.
i think it will take a few listens to be able to appreciate all the different layers of the tracks - i really think he's put the best of everything in this record, and more. but understandable that the gimmicky autotuned vocals dont resonate with everyone.
>>
>>60323647
never heard about her, i wish i woulddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
>>
>>60333720
Yes all the lyrics are included

>>60333809
Thanks

>>60333827
No. it's on what.cd though I'm sure it'll be up soon
>>
>>60323647
GUYS GUYS!

The Ezra track sounds more lush and completed on the album than the leak!
>>
WHERE'S THE SHARE /MU/TANTS?
>>
On this LP, I see Lopatin playing with the darker side of ideas present on R Plus Seven. On that project, Lopatin built a universe of totally creative invention, wherein voices flutter passingly to fill space and expand, dense synths muddy light keys, beautiful chords rise out of the cracks, and light passages of sampling strive to turn chaos to perfection, but is repeatedly eroded and rebuilt. It's like heaven, only where death is inevitable.

On G.O.D., synths are rough and jagged. Instead of beautiful chords, you get techno and metal riffs and banging and distortion. It's self-aware, drawing cultural references and re-contextualizing them to fit into a world where musical perfection was achieved, and all art rises above criticism. Instead of trying to achieve approval, the music is built on influence of failed ascension of the art form, and deconstructs genres by way of destruction, rebuilding them out of ash and shattered glass. The music then, is at once failure and perfection intertwined, with no clue as to where one started and the other began.

G.O.D. flows in and out of bits immediately recognizable as "music," perhaps even seen as the solace of the album, to its meat, which is its bursts of attacking chaos.

I like to think the ideas of Replica are there too; the musical influences of rave and metal, along with the vocal sampling, build a dreamlike world in which reality has been given no background explanation. It's as if the purely creative and the utterly commercial are fused in its own state to give some non-interpretative, yet aesthetically meaningful, collection of futuristic sounds turned compositions. Compositions that, in that future world, may have used forgotten influences or influences that eventually found their own place in a society that had fully reached musical enlightenment.
>>
>>60334959
>It's self-aware
wut
>re-contextualizing them to fit into a world where musical perfection was achieved, and all art rises above criticism.
wut
> the music is built on influence of failed ascension of the art form,
wut

>. It's as if the purely creative and the utterly commercial are fused in its own state to give some non-interpretative, yet aesthetically meaningful, collection of futuristic sounds turned compositions

er

if this is satire then 9/10
>>
>>60333654
Seems like an oversight, but this checks out with the dude talking about the album's details back in September iirc.
>>
>>60323647

It's a great album, if you're not into it that's fine, it's not for you.
>>
I fuck with this guy and James Ferraro. Their music is overwhelming in terms of context and experimentation. Also Dean Blunt is the shit.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.