[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oneohtrix Point Never/Daniel Lopatin Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: opn replica.jpg (541 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
opn replica.jpg
541 KB, 1280x720
So is he actually legitimately good, or is he a vaporwave hack? I knew he had some sort of good reputation as an abstract electronic artist or whatever, I read FlyLo giving him praise on some interview and he's on Warp, so I had a pretty good opinion of him. His more aggressive stuff is to my liking, and I figured Replica was alright. But digging through more of his work, it seems like a bunch of stuff he's done is literally just vaporwave bullshit.
Now, if you have high regard for vaporwave, that's fine—I just don't. Maybe it's just my lack of appreciation for its A E S T H E T I C S or whatever, but I find a lot of the creative/stylistic choices to be bland and uninspired. I wouldn't exactly call it formulaic, and perhaps shitty 2-bit, second rate soundcloud producers have ruined the name of the genre or something, but the vaporwave stuff seems to me as though it's just a recycling of music that was meant to be milquetoast and inoffensive in the first place.

Basically: is OPN brilliant, and the vaporwave thing only a small section of what he does, or is he a glorified Macintosh Plus with occasional bouts of aggressiveness?
>>
nothing under the name of oneohtrix point never is vaporwave
>>
Vaporwave wasn't even a thing back when he made Eccojams and maybe Replica.
>>
did you know that you can just listen to his music and form your own opinion on it instead of asking /mu/ to tell you if he's a meme?

in the time it took you to write this awful thread you could have listened to an OPN track on youtube and decided whether you like it or not
>>
I don't think he's particularly good by himself, compare how unpolished Rush is to any other track on R+7.
>>
>>60309303

can you link to whatever you read with flylo praising him? interested in this..

also, vaporwave is only tangentially related to that period of dan's work
>>
>>60309508
>an OPN track
>implying one track is necessarily wholly representative of OPN's work

I've heard his music before, obviously, but I know there are people here who know a lot about his discography and his music. Their opinions won't necessarily convince me, but it might be useful to know. They might have ideas I haven't thought of.
>>
>>60309590
I honestly don't remember where this was. It might have been on the BBC1 Radio Residency he had, but I'm not sure. I can't easily find it on Google. Maybe it was Twitter, but all I just remember was that he said some positive comment about OPN.
>>
On his latest LP, I see Lopatin playing with the darker side of ideas present on R Plus Seven. On that project, Lopatin built a universe of totally creative invention, wherein voices flutter passingly to fill space and expand, dense synths muddy light keys, beautiful chords rise out of the cracks, and light passages of sampling strive to turn chaos to perfection, but is repeatedly eroded and rebuilt. It's like heaven, only where death is inevitable.

On G.O.D., synths are rough and jagged. Instead of beautiful chords, you get techno and metal riffs and banging and distortion. It's self-aware, drawing cultural references and re-contextualizing them to fit into a world where musical perfection was achieved, and all art rises above criticism. Instead of trying to achieve approval, the music is built on influence of failed ascension of the art form, and deconstructs genres by way of destruction, rebuilding them out of ash and shattered glass. The music then, is at once failure and perfection intertwined, with no clue as to where one started and the other began.

G.O.D. flows in and out of bits immediately recognizable as "music," perhaps even seen as the solace of the album, to its meat, which is its bursts of attacking chaos.

I like to think the ideas of Replica are there too; the musical influences of rave and metal, along with the vocal sampling, build a dreamlike world in which reality has been given no background explanation. It's as if the purely creative and the utterly commercial are fused in its own state to give some non-interpretative, yet aesthetically meaningful, collection of futuristic sounds turned compositions. Compositions that, in that future world, may have used forgotten influences or influences that eventually found their own place in a society that had fully reached musical enlightenment.
>>
>>60309893
Got to bed OPN
>>
go listen to to returnal. it has nothing to with vaporwave and it's fucking great. Some of the best synth/ambient i've heard in a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiWjl9GPhM
>>
yeh he's fuking good
>>
>>60309893
Go to sleep sonny.
>>
>>60309303
flyo is shit compared to OPN
anyway just watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3cBP1xgag
>>
Is it Oh-neoh-trix? Or One-oh-trix?
>>
I have no idea why /mu/ plebs keep linking OPN to vaporwave. Eccojams is the only thing relatable. Everything else comes from ambient, new age and berlin school. G.O.D. is a new direction entirely.
>>
>>60312999
The later (and the guy in his rbma interview keeps getting it wrong which stresses me out).
>>
>>60312999
>>60313049
It's both, but the name was based on the radio frequency 106.7, so the latter is probably "more" correct.
>>
>this thread

Fucking get the fuck out of here with this stupid shit OP.
>I think I like OPN, but is he really just vaporwave or something?

Seriously fuck off
>>
I find his music really beautiful and haunting but I don't know if it's actually good or not, or how to judge something like that. His music may or may not be arty-farty bullshit, but you can hear far more thought and passion in it than 90% of other arty-farty bullshit (like most vaporwave)
>>
File: R-1256142-1251082009.jpeg.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
R-1256142-1251082009.jpeg.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
Do you think he was influenced by pic related?
>>
>>60313202
hope not. shit album
>>
>>60313220
Why do you think that?
>>
he's GOAT
>>
Is he any good live? I have a chance to see him and James Ferraro soon but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
>>
>>60315878
I'd do it. The live renditions of the songs sound pretty cool, plus his visuals are awesome. I dunno what Ferraro would be like live but I would go
>>
>>60309508
Yeah, you're right, let's not have any form of discussion about music because clearly that's not the purpose of this board.
>>
>>60317292
does he do the vocals live?
>>
>>60317353
I don't know what any of the GOD shows are really like, but for R plus 7 all the tracks were disassembled and reconstructed in really cool ways. I'm sure he'll do something similar for GOD, I donno why he wouldn't do the vocals
>>
>>60317922
Wait, he sings? I had no idea. You mean like traditional pop singing, or a bunch of oohs and ahhs?
>>
>>60318900
And are you talking about OPN or Ferraro? Never heard Ferraro desu.
>>
"aggressiveness" (wut) and vaporwave are not in diametric opposition, and i bet you have a very poor grasp on how Lopatin makes his music and what vaporwave is or where it came from. i hate vaporwave personally but you could have spent a few minutes even on fucking Wikipedia and come to the basic understanding that your OP is stupid
>>
>>60317922
p sure wunno's doing vocals, and i think boyce is on guitar as well. i had a friend attend an OPN show a couple weeks ago and he said it was significantly noisier/louder compared to the R+7 shows.
>>
>>60318965
>"aggressiveness" (wut) and vaporwave are not in diametric opposition
Then show me vaporwave that's actually aggressive, like how OPN includes metal-esque riffs in his ambient passages.
>>
>>60315878
>>60317292
>>60317353
>>60317922
>>60318984

Yeh go. The R+7 shows were dull but the GoD show is ace/brutal. Live vocals and Boyce on guitar yup.
>>
Replica is brilliant.
Garden of Delete is acceptable.
The rest is... eh.
>>
>>60318900
hes singing in the song returnal. it isnt oohs and ahs but it isnt regular pop singing, it some sort of effect heavy new age thing
>>
>>60313456
because the tripfag has shit taste
>>
>>60320047
Using a delay pedal is new age?
>>
>>60319395
>metal-esque

wow, senpai. full retard there on that one.
>>
>>60319587
does he sing sticky drama / no good ?
>>
>>60309325
>Eccojam track on G.O.D.

But yeah for the most part no.
>>
>>60309325
Memory Vague you uninformed shit.
>>
>>60309893
Stopped reading right there.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.