[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: "Teenager who wishes he was suicidal" core
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: Giles+Corey.png (381 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Giles+Corey.png
381 KB, 500x500
ITT: "Teenager who wishes he was suicidal" core
>>
Just gonna go off topic slightly, but why do teenagers find it romantic or characterful to feign depression/suicidal thoughts. I'm going through severe depression right now and this kind of shit really bothers me. It destroys your life, there is no redeeming quality to it whatsoever. Thoughts on why this is somehow glamorized?
>>
>>60307398
For attention, they think "nobody likes me" is depression
>>
>>60307398
Big pop/rock stars like Kurt Cobain being sold to kids over and over again. Kids think it's edgy. They also can't tell the difference between a clinical mental issue and everyday emotions. With all the medications and fancy mental illnesses these days, kids don't understand that you're just sad sometimes
>>
>>60307398
ask yourself, this entire thread is
>LOOK AT ME I'M SADDER THAN YOU
>>
>>60307336
>>60307398
I legitimately depressed and suicidal in high school, fuck you.

Still am actually.
>>
>>60307398
>Thoughts on why this is somehow glamorized?
Um, albums like this don't glamorize it, they're meant to be cathartic for the person who's recording it and relatable for the person listening to it.
>>
>>60307398
I sometimes wonder if questioning other people's presentation of themselves as depressed is damaging
>>
>>60307398
The earlier and quicker you can affect a mask of cynicism and world-weariness means that it's also the earlier you can start to feel distanced from the very real pains of life. The longer you start building that trendy facade of "life is meaningless" provides a false hope of separating yourself from negative emotions if/when they do arise
>>
>>60307505
I am currently at 18 so no need to have a go at me pal. I was talking about how in a general sense a mental illness that is so destructive can have any kind of appeal. Lack of real teaching on mental health?
>>
>>60307505
sharp edge here sir
>>
Nirvana, Radiohead, BOC, all black metal,
>>
>>60307398
For the same reason you feel the need to brag to us about your depression and how much worse it is than everyone else.
>>
>>60307518
Wasn't speaking about this album, just the general sort of teen appropriation of a mental illness as having some kind of 'cool' factor.
>>
>>60307553
Didn't say it was worse than everybody else's. I'm simply interested in the legitimate mental illness vs the glamorized idea that some people seem to have of 'depression'.
>>
>>60307531
Probably gonna sound like circular logic but I think it's the emo trend of the early-mid 00's, as well as the grunge and goth trends before that. That music and aesthetic, composed and created by people who did suffer from genuine depression, convinced people who did not suffer from any mental illness that acting all mopey was cool.
>>
>>60307505
it gets better

like really, it does
>>
>>60307398
Because feeling down and depression are two different things

Ive felt "sad" and had/have negative outlooks but id never throw the word "depression" around in a serious way in terms of application to myself
>>
I don't think the goth kids would like GC to be honest with you family.

>Where's the guitar solos?
>Why is he pounding on a piano?
>What's with the weird sample? It's kinda creepy lol
>Not enough screaming
>>
>>60307611
Which is good and normal, but some people do is my point.
>>
>>60307594
Not when you're trying to get your life together but you can't b/c you can't seem to find a job, you spent two years out of college, so you'll probably be denied financial aid, and so on.

I'm stuck in a rut that is impossible to get out of.
>>
>>60307637
I've had it worse than you buddy. I'm not saying that invalidates your depression, just that you should hang on
>>
>>60307634
yeah I know, exactly

I for sure though have anxiety issues. But im also just a paranoid person in general too.

But being on antidepressants almost gave me symptoms of "real" depression, more in physical terms. bad dreams, night sweats, constant tiredness, suicidal thoughts etc

just more negative that good come from it.
>>
>>60307666
>I've had it worse than you buddy
Not even that guy but I hate it when faggots do this.
>>
>>60307666
I guess.

Thing is, my life has improved since high school. But I've squandered any chances I might've had towards having a future.

Student debt is piling on me, my laptop broke down so I have to borrow other people's and can only borrow them certain times of the day, so I have large amounts of time where I have fuck all to do, which also means that I can't apply to jobs and shit whenever I want to, I have no phone atm and am borrowing my mom's old phone, I still live at home, I'm a NEET, I have barely any friends, I have no money, etc. I'm a fuck up and I hate myself.

I also have mental issues up the ass even aside from my depression, like bipolar disorder, general social anxiety, etc.
>>
>>60307711
That's really interesting, The one's I'm on have had 0 effect despite increases in dosage. Probably a sign to try something else. Shit's difficult man
>>
>>60307398
>Why do people have fake depression?
>I mean, unlike me of course, I'm really depressed
>Please guys, recognize that I am truly depressed

In a serious note, for the same reason that lesbians are glamorized and smoking is glamorized and smoking weed is glamorized and breaking the law is glamorized and everything wrong is glamorized. There's nothing cooler than to not be normal and happy. Being normal and happy is boring. I always disliked anyone who used the term "depressed" actually.

I've never called myself depressed, I even refused therapists and such when I was a teenager as to not be labeled "sick in the head" as my mother used to say, but I have been dealing with extreme numbness since I was a teenagers and went through some legitimately traumatic events. It doesn't get better no matter how many friends I have or how often I go out, no matter what I do. I was never really suicidal but this year I had a really bad period and even wrote my note, it's now kept somewhere in case I ever decide to do it.

Anyway, not relevant to the thread's theme at all but since this has some stories here whatever.
>>
>>60307637
I'm right there with you, man. Been out of college four years, out of work for two. I recently got approved for financial aid though and am going back to school in january. The depression is still hanging around, but it's lifted enough to the point where I can probably deal with the routine of school, which (I'm hoping) will distract me from being depressed. It's a long long tunnel, but there's a light.
>>
>>60307952
Well I was like you and didn't want to give in to the idea of it for 5 years until it all got too much and professional help was the only way to turn. I didn't make a huge point about being 'truly depressed', but more in a general sense to make a real distinction between legitimate mental illness and teen sadness/angst
>>
File: a237dc0261668fd9aaa7631bbea94623.png (384 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
a237dc0261668fd9aaa7631bbea94623.png
384 KB, 1680x1050
It fits all the "wannabe depressed" crowd likes.

>Fashionable on shirt
>Easily understood lyrics
>Singer killed himself, so its "authentic"
>Mainstream enough to be acknowledged by friends, but obscure enough that their Dad might not know it
>>
>>60307996
>I recently got approved for financial aid though and am going back to school in january.
This is what I'm trying to do right now.

My parents are fucking convinced that I'm not going to get financial aid and honestly I don't blame them for thinking so. But they're negative as fuck, which really rubs off on me, then they have to nerve to wonder why I get as depressed as I do, if they even notice that is.

I almost finished my FAFSA, but couldn't due to some roadblocks, but I'll finish it tomorrow and finish applying for community college tomorrow too if all goes well.

I'm really hoping I get financial aid.

If not, I guess I could always try to get a job, which is really difficult for me. I do have an interview coming up, which I'm happy about.
>>
>>60308088
We shouldn't just dismiss teen sadness altogether though, a lot of teenagers go through some legitimately troubled times trying to figure out who they are and such. Of course there are cases of people who just like the look of it, but we've all been teenagers once and I think I have some compassion because of that.

But like I said, I'm not really into anyone labelling themselves anything. I feel as if people LOVE to have a label to call themselves nowaday. My friend went to a psychiatrist and the guy wrote that she was borderline, paranoid, depressed, psychotic, this, that, a fucking list of problems. She came back showing it to me all proud as if she had been validated. I fucking hate this.
>>
>>60308163
>We shouldn't just dismiss teen sadness altogether though, a lot of teenagers go through some legitimately troubled times trying to figure out who they are and such.
Exactly.

I feel like a lot of people ITT would just fucking scoff if a teen who were legitimately depressed admitted to it.

Like come on.
>>
>>60308234
its because theyre insufferable and should light up actually
>>
>>60307398
If you were really going through "severe depression" shit like this would create no reaction of out you whatsoever. This is a prime example of projection, you are one of those kids who fake it and pretend it's real while you hate on other kids who fake it.

People actually suffering from depression wouldn't even be on /mu/, let alone have an emotional response to anything as insignificant as this (or anything period.)
>>
>>60308274
Hard to lighten up if you have a legitimate mental illness.
>>
>>60307336
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQkwqiilQk
think this goes without saying
>>
>>60308289
Back in my day it was called "stop being a pussy". Good to know that its been relabeled to "mental illness" i guess thats more politically correct.
>>
>>60308289
a real mental illness would be shit like schizophrenia and bipolar 1. Now that shit is scary, depression is a little bitch compared to those
>>
>>60308283
>People actually suffering from depression wouldn't even be on /mu/
Bullshit, message boards and internet communities in general draw in mentally ill social outcasts.

Honestly I'd say maybe a good number of people on any serious discussion forum suffer from some unseen mental illness.
>>
>>60308289
>>60308325
"mental illness" is an excuse to not work towards being a better person, but "stop being a pussy" is stupid, brute force. there's got to be another better way to regard stuff like this
>>
>>60308163
>>60308234
Well as a (eight)teen in that position this isn't ture for me (the guy you replied to above). I get the point about labels being unhelpful and perhaps obfuscating things further, but some things really need a proper medical classification in order to be treated effectively. I don't want to trivialize all teen sadness because teenage years are really difficult and confusing anyway, but as long as we're aware of that then it means we cam avoid labels or erroneous diagnoses of mental illnesses
>>
>>60308325
Yeah and that rough, "Get over it," attitude proved to be utterly useless at actually curing the problems anyone ever actually faced, you moron.

>>60308329
Funny b/c I had bipolar disorder as a teenager. Still do and I imagine plenty of teens do. Not to mention being a teen and having serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia aren't exactly mutually exclusive.
>>
Pinga Moon when people can't get a gf should deserve a mention
>>
>>60308283
Well you evidently have no understanding of what depression is like if you believe this. What kind of generalisation is this that people wouldn't be on /mu/ if they were depressed. Music is basically all that elicits a strong emotional response from me, which is why I'm sitting here at quarter to 5 in the morning on it. And I guess my reaction to this is relative to the way I'm feeling. Very little gives me a 'strong' reaction so I have to over emphasise or compensate. Basically it's at a point where I have to think how'd I'd respond emotionally to something and then fake that response.
>>
File: ts-the-queen-is-dead.jpg (72 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ts-the-queen-is-dead.jpg
72 KB, 600x600
selected cuts
>>
>>60307336

who would want to wish they were suicidal? that's retarded
>>
>>60307398
Coming from someone who was legitimately suicidal as a teenager, I think I can safely say that teenage depression is pretty darn common.
>>
>>60308351
You've obviously never been in a position where you feel no positive emotions at all towards anything to say this. Working towards being a better person has nothing to do with it.
>>
delete this thread
>>
File: feeltron.png (129 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
feeltron.png
129 KB, 453x668
>>60308283
>People actually suffering from depression wouldn't even be on /mu/

Then why am I here?
>>
>>60308334
I think you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes as a mental illness.

Mental illness and being a social outcast are mutually exclusive. Stop thinking that because you're a social outcast, you must have some kind of mental illness. Fucking kill yourself for being this naive and ignorant.

>>60308361
>Yeah and that rough, "Get over it," attitude proved to be utterly useless at actually curing the problems anyone ever actually faced, you moron.
Hows the pussified approach working out? Last time I checked there are people at fucking Yale of all places whining about their feelings being hurt because someone wore a costume that offended them. This was fucking Yale. These are the kinds of people that will be in charge of the country for the next few generations.

The "lets treat everyone like a special snowlflake" mentally is infinitely worse than the "get the fuck over it, you're not the center of the world" mentality.

Of course I realize I am arguing with millenials who've been indoctrinated with the "everyone is special" mentality
>>
>>60308464
Edgy stuff gyze
>>
if you have depression past the age of 16 then you probably started puberty late
>>
>>60308464
alright, hope you dont shoot up your school anon
>>
>>60308463
I like to call it "faux-depression"

Disclaimer: the rest of this post will consist of extreme levels of projection

Faux-depression is people who are sad because they're faggot losers with no real ambitions and/or are ugly as fuck with no hope for any kind of social relationships (current or future) and think that they can blame their shitty luck by just claiming to be depressed. It's an aesthetic that appeals to faggot losers because it deludes them into thinking that there's nothing wrong with the genes they've been handed but rather how they perceive reality.
>>
>>60308464
Theirs a difference between some liberal kek in yale and actual depressed people though
>>
>>60308527
yeah i know i was just pretending to be retarded to blow off some steam. feel a little better now
>>
>>60307398
>but why do teenagers find it romantic or characterful to feign depression/suicidal thoughts.

Teenagers and young post-adolescents (early 20's), especially if they're "creative types," believe that mental illness confers upon then a "uniqueness" and insight their "normie" friends don't have or can't understand.

The worst thing for any person in this age group is the realization that you're not much different from anyone else. (it's also why this age group [if they're music/film/lit enthusiasts] gravitates toward the obscure and inaccessible). So they put extra effort into proving to everyone else how different and special they are.

There's legitimate cases, sure, but most teenage/post-adolescent depression falls into "look at deep and emotionally complex I am. While my peers are out there having fun at prom or the football game, I'm sitting here alone in my room reading Sylvia Plath (upgrade that to Cioran if the person in question is taking Philosophy 101 in college) and contemplating ending it all, which of course they'll post about on their favorite forum, personal blog or social media platform.
>>
>>60308121
>but obscure enough that their Dad might not know it

If your dad doesn't listen to Joy Division you're probably too old for 4chan
>>
>>60308501
Dude, I've been institutionalized because I was suicidal. I currently take meds to stop myself from killing myself. I think it's safe to say that I'm depressed, or at least have been in the past.
>>
>>60307952
>There's nothing cooler than to not be normal and happy. Being normal and happy is boring.

This sums up the mentality these faux-depressives have.

"I'm so different and much deeper than the ignorance is bliss masses!"

I think young creative types have also bought into the tortured artist meme a little too much (we can blame the Van Gogh myth here for starting it all. Guy wasn't "mentally ill," his brain was basically destroyed by lead poisoning) They wind believing that good, authentic art can't come from a happy/optimistic point-of-view.
>>
>>60308993
Can you name many great happy/optimistic albums/artworks?
Its honestly in pretty rare supply.
>>
>>60308993

To be fair, he was mentally ill. It's an understatement, but it is true.

>>60309119

Pretty much everything by Yes is pretty happy.
>>
>>60308993
ironically, pretending to be depressed eventually makes you depressed
>>
I was depressed when I was in my teens and stopped it eating and stunted my growth now i'm a ultra manlet and even more depressed and now i can't stop eating
>>
File: 91xRW9BD4GL._SL1400_.jpg (584 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
91xRW9BD4GL._SL1400_.jpg
584 KB, 1400x1400
>>60309119
looking for some more giddycore like this
>>
>>60309119
>Can you name many great happy/optimistic albums/artworks?

Pretty much the entirety of Jazz (though there are works darker in tone, Jazz really is about the joy of creativity, discovery and spontaneity).

Many classical works. Bach was very optimistic and spiritual.

A lot of 20th century "academic music." Cage was an optimist. Schoenberg was a romantic. The works of DeBussy, Stravinsky, etc.

Countless poetry is written from an optimistic, romantic, awed-by-the-sublime perspective.
>>
>>60309246

lol why does everyone care about their height so much? i've been 5'5" since I was 13 i'm 24 now. if you care that much about your height there are countries with the average height of 5'2"-5'3"
>>
>>60307491
When you posted this, five posts had been made, counting the OP. Not one of them touching the subject you proclaim.

> THIS ENTIRE THREAD!!?!!',?
>>
>>60307398
Simply because A LOT of mainstream and even not-mainstream culture romanticize depression and mental issues.
>>
>>60307398
Don't know. Always thought I was a big sissy drama queen and hoped that my "hormones" would calm down and I'd stop wanting to kill myself after I got out of my teens.

Probably should have gotten help, though. Seems like a lot of my behavior is in line with bipolar disorder, but I'm enough of a mental disorder hypochondriac that I think I must be overreacting.
>>
>>60307398
It's complicated, but I think in a lot of cases it's seen as a kind of justification for shitty behavior.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.